Carlisle FA Cup Pre Match Press Conference with Danny Cowley | Vital Football

Carlisle FA Cup Pre Match Press Conference with Danny Cowley

hulloutpost

Vital Champions League

Ahead of the FA Cup diversion Danny Cowley took time to explore the phenomenon of social media and the importance of managing expectations:-

Effect of Social Media - DC isn't personally too bothered by social media criticism (it upsets his wife and Mum more) taking the view that as long as everyone has Lincoln City at heart it doesn't really matter whether they are blindly loyal providing unconditional support or 'critical friends'. People are entitled to their opinions so long as it doesn't get personal. A few of his younger players get upset by comments on the various platforms and although he advises the players not to go on them it is human nature in modern society. On the one hand he is delighted and proud that expectations are now so high but DC spoke passionately about not crossing the line of entitlement. He cannot stand self entitlement and it makes him very uneasy when people think they have a God given right to win. DC does not forget that we have had to work so hard to come from the bottom. There are another 8 to 10 teams in the league that will be going for promotion and Imps have no advantage over any of those except by ensuring hard work and having the highest quality of people in the building. DC is very happy with the goals contribution of the forwards with the goals for and points columns looking very healthy. Imps have more points than at the same time as the NL Championship season. We live in a world where everybody wants instantaneous gratification (his son hates having to sit through adverts within his cartoon shows) and that is just the way it is. JA has done so much hard work for the team and is a great foil for the side. Anyone that cannot see that needs to look harder.

Oldham - Disappointed to have drawn against 10 men but credit to a very good Oldham side. Playing the league leaders and down to 10 men brought the best out of them and they did a great job for their team mates, manager and supporters. It was a crazy first half with the ball only in play for 19 minutes amidst all the lengthy stoppages. Momentum was lost when Oldham scored and Imps were guilty of not moving the ball horizontally quickly or enough times to work the space and resorted to playing the ball vertically too much. There has been a 90 minute video room de-brief and DC is confident Imps will adapt better the next time we face 10 men.

Carlisle - DC felt that it was points dropped last time sides met due to all their injuries and is mindful of their excellent away form - arguably tougher facing them at home rather than away. No matter as DC loves cup competitions and is excited at the opportunity to reach the third round which is never an easy task. He was ambivalent about the possibility of a replay opining that whilst he would rather win the game in 90 minutes 'we love playing football' so if a Tuesday replay in Carlisle 'so be it'. Features of Carlisle play is their midfield players that are confident ball handlers, moving the ball quickly supported by flank players who have 'real energy'.

Squad Fitness - The two week break undoubtedly helped and everyone came through midweek without any issues. LF may well be available to start as playing will not exacerbate the injury but need to be mindful that when the knee hyper extends causing the two leg bones to rub together it does cause Lee excruciating pain so important to be respectful of that. LF is a top L1 player let alone L2 so 'we' do miss him when he doesn't play.

Miscellaneous - One for the stattos courtesy of Chris Ashton; DC has already reached number three in the list of LCFC managers that have overseen the most cup ties with Saturday's match being his 32nd in charge.

A cracking appraisal of the junket yet again.

I have got to say yet again how fortunate we are in having Danny in charge. His intelligence and pragmatism always comes across in these briefings.

Great stuff as ever - thanks muchly.

I do like DC's views regarding entitlement and keeping criticism non-personal. True criticism is a positive and should be welcome.

Written by a well trained bot...

Come on you Imps!!!!!!! !! !!!!!! ©

Very clever use of words in his comments about the critics. Unequivocal between the lines, as Thomas Hardy once said.

Thank you for the summary, good read as always. Interesting stat re cup games being overseen by DC/NC. Was it mentioned what the number of games were in 1st and 2nd place?

Very clever use of words in his comments about the critics. Unequivocal between the lines, as Thomas Hardy once said.

He is an excellent communicator in addition to his other football qualities, but while we're on the subject of criticism, what's constructive and what's negative? I don't mean the personal which is never useful, but say for example someone said this about the Oldham game:

The performance was poor. We didn't press enough, we looked leggy and the quality wasn't there. We left ourselves open to counter attacks. We just weren't good enough.

Would those comments constitute unfair criticism, be overly negative or show a sense of entitlement - or not?

It is all a matter of opinion isn't it!

However, "The performance was poor. We didn't press enough, we looked leggy and the quality wasn't there. We left ourselves open to counter attacks. We just weren't good enough." - that sounds verbatim of what Michael O'connor said after the game and I agree with that review.

However, "The performance was poor. We didn't press enough, we looked leggy and the quality wasn't there. We left ourselves open to counter attacks. We just weren't good enough." - that sounds verbatim of what Michael O'connor said after the game and I agree with that review.

So are you hoping we can progress in the cup ?

Yeah, it was another good interview and I agreed with his points. We/they have created this pressure, so you've got to enjoy it and his point about entitlement was also correct. I think entitlement creates complacency as well, and that's a slippery slope to get on.

DC's at his best when there's a potential to get it wrong but never does.

Yes, that was entirely my point it was O'Connor. It's what most fans thought too.

So the players can say it.

So what constitutes unfair criticism or entitlement?

It all depends on how sensitive as an individual you are :grinning:.

Given the current snowflake generation that seems be coming through and how totally outraged the world is about anything you say about anybody anywhere about anything. Saying to someone their hair is a mess would constitute:

a - hate crime
b - bullying
c - racism
d - sexism
e - ageism
f - stereotyping

etc etc etc. So we are best just not to say anything at all to anyone about anything then in that way nobody gets upset, simple :lol:

Last edited:
So are you hoping we can progress in the cup ?
Haha of course I am - not quite sure what the link is to my OP though?*

I like the fact DC often admits that we paying fans are entitled to an opinion. We pay our hard earned money and as long as people don't go overboard with personal attacks I see no harm in sharing said opinions.

*Cup runs breed confidence and some of our players could really use the game time. I am really hoping for Akinde to bag one from open play this weekend in the hope that is spurs him into his previous (Barnet) form.

Yes, that was entirely my point it was O'Connor. It's what most fans thought too.

So the players can say it.

Haha of course I am - not quite sure what the link is to my OP though?*

I like the fact DC often admits that we paying fans are entitled to an opinion. We pay our hard earned money and as long as people don't go overboard with personal attacks I see no harm in sharing said opinions.

*Cup runs breed confidence and some of our players could really use the game time. I am really hoping for Akinde to bag one from open play this weekend in the hope that is spurs him into his previous (Barnet) form.

I am pleased you remain positive Niq . Of course you have the right to criticise . We all have different views and opinions but I am always wary of posters who remain consistently negative or raise debate in order to cause disquiet. There are some on here with different agendas and loyalties and thrive on any failure or slip up .They know who they are. They usually get smoked out in the end . Now , as for me. I have been watching the Imps since 1968 I have experienced plenty of dark and difficult periods in that time . Believe me I know when to start getting worried .

The performance was poor. We didn't press enough, we looked leggy and the quality wasn't there. We left ourselves open to counter attacks. We just weren't good enough.
Personally I would say that this is 'objective' criticism and is perfectly acceptable and - in fact - useful. It avoids personal attacks, hyperbole, and - yes - a sense of entitlement, whilst succinctly summarising where we were weak on the day. In that sense it is also 'constructive' criticism.

It all depends on how sensitive as an individual your are :grinning:.

Given the current snowflake generation that seems be coming through and how totally outraged the world is about anything you say about anybody anywhere about anything. Saying to someone their hair is a mess would constitute:

a - hate crime
b - bullying
c - racism
d - sexism
e - ageism
f - stereotyping

etc etc etc. So we are best just not to say anything at all to anyone about anything then in that way nobody gets upset, simple :lol:

Jesus you sound like an old fart....