Carl Tilson - Mancunian | Vital Football

Carl Tilson - Mancunian

I am sure I speak for everyone connected with VMC and the Vital Network when I say how very sad I am to learn of Carl's passing. His tenacious debate, wit and passionate enthusiasm for our club will be very much missed. Beyond all that he was a fearless campaigner and hugely admired across Planet Blue.

Adieu Carlos and thankyou for sharing many memorable times with us.

Carl will be missed.

Campaigned passionately to find a cure for his condition, and cared equally passionately for MCFC.

Very saddened to learn of Carl's passing.

The sentiments above cannot be bettered by me. Planet Blue has lost a true stalwart and my thought, prayers and best wishes are with his family and friends at this difficult time.

MCDSA member and former Mancunian of the Year Carl Tilson passed away late on Wednesday night aged 28.

Carl, the Grandson of former City legend Fred Tilson, spent his life fighting Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy and true to his character and bravery, he never gave up the battle to try and raise awareness to help find a cure for the condition.

In recognition of his outstanding charity work and campaigning, Carl was named Mancunian of the Year in March 2010 and got to carry the Olympic Torch as it passed through Manchester ahead of the London Olympic Games.

Carl passed away after suffering from a chest infection and the thoughts of everyone at MCFC go out to his family and friends at this very sad time.

Below is some of the social media reaction to Carl's passing...

BBC Radio Manchester presenter Ian Cheeseman tweeted: "Was honoured to be at Carl Tilson's 21st and to chat to him regularly on Facebook. A tough character who didn't suffer fools, I'll miss him."

Shaun Goater said: "My sincere condolences to the Tilson family for the passing of Carl Tilson. He was a True Blue!"

And Manchester United fan site United Discriminate added: "Sad News from our friends at @ManCityDSA. Red or Blue, Carl was #Mancunian of the Year.

Finally, Ric Turner of Blue Moon tweeted: "Sad to hear the news of Carl Tilson passing away. Brave lad who fought tirelessly to raise awareness of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy."

Indeed sad news as Carl was a member of the VMC his team he entered into the fantasy football league was doing really well.

He was always passionate about Manchester City and contributed some really excellent posts.

He was immensely proud of his Grandad Fred Tilson who of played and scored for Manchester City in the FA Cup Final 1934 scoring both City's goals.

we shall all miss Carl, he was a fighter and raised the awareness of duchenne muscular dystrophy and as stated above was Mancunian of the year in 2010.

RIP Carl

God bless you Carl, true blue and a good man. My tears tonight are a celebration of your life and respect for all you achieved in life.

JJ x

Full of admiration and love for the way you fought through life Carl, I thought you were a nice balance of pugnaciousness and faith and you needed both to battle your way through.
I am sure you'll be keeping your eye on things from your deserved resting place which will keep you free from all pain and us annoying you on VMC.
RIP

RIP Carl, I loved your passion for City and the charity work you did. A very sad day. My thoughts go out to his family.

Back in the day Carl would contact me on a regular basis and in doing so send me material for me to publish via the VMC front pages. His drive in raising money for the Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy charity was second to none and I have to say it was a pleasure in helping Carl spread the word. In fact and to be honest i'd never heard of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy but Carl soon put that right.

Carl was very proud of his family, especially his granddad, Fred. In fact I do believe I published an article on Fred (with the help of Carl) some years ago.

I for one will miss him even though we never met.

RIP my friend.

Just logged, and I'm late, but this is a shock! God bless you, Carl, True Blue, and you had to endure so much in your short life. Prayers sent to the Tilson Family.

Just logged on myself.

Very sad news.

A tenacious character indeed and somebody you had to respect.

We all have problems but nothing like Carl had to endure. Makes you realise how trivial the everyday issues are really.

Very sad to hear of the passing away of one so young. God speed on your journey into the great blue yonder mate.