Cardiff | Vital Football

Cardiff

collioure_bee

Vital 1st Team Regular
Bit of a drab match all round really. First half performance was better than second one, like all our games since at least Wolves. Even that wasn't great though. We never got going. Can't remember us working their keeper much at all, especially second half. Harlee was excellent and deserves a mention, all over the place, giving it his all. I felt the rest were average an a couple pretty poor. Other than that, not a lot to say about the match except I think we got what we deserved. Nothing.

Not a total disaster but one of those frustrating defeats that feel a little self inflicted. Everyone talks about consistency & whilst it's a reasonable aim who really is consistent in this Div? Brighton maybe, Rotherham deffo!!! I still feel we are better than these types of results suggest, add up the points literally given away & we'd be in the PO places. Sometimes you just hold your hands up & accept a deserved defeat, points given away vs Rotherham, BHA, Newcastle, Reading, Wigan, Blackburn Cardiff x2 stick in my mind. There are other examples. Safety in this division is not to be sniffed at, we've done well. But assuming we give DS more tools to try to push on next season the question remains, can he find that bit extra from everyone to cut out some of these results? Next 5 games may help to answer this question.

Final word re Harlee Dean - POTS for me, he's been immensely impressive all season. Had his critics but looks the real deal now.

Great post Rebel. Do you know what? The way we've played lately I actually started believing a good run could make us the team that makes the late run from nowhere and sneaks in. A win Saturday and I'd have been convinced.
With McLeod, Josh and Judgey back next season and a striker who can score more often than one in ten, we'll be up there next season.

Cheers CB, we could have a very strong squad next season. All about summer ins & outs I guess, plus a lot more belief that we can match & beat the top sides. Has to come from DS & coaches.

CB, I have a simple model that has been predicting 62 - 65 points for a couple of months, but was wondering about a late run to the play-offs. The play-offs are a pain in the butt, especially if you aren't ready to go up, and we aren't, so I'm glad. It prolongs a long season and we should be planning for next season already. Send them off on holiday and come back early and ready to go.

Good point, Spanish. But think about it. One season in top flight, even as whipping boys and we come back down with all those parachute payments and are able to build for the future and be ready next time. I'm not talking about trying to stay up. Just accept we won't stay up so don't bring in not good enough on big wages like Pompey and co did.

I do agree with you, they are a pain in the butt though.

My unscientific modelling with DS at the helm is circa 1.25 points per game 46 x 1.25 = 58 points, so he should go past this with 5 games left. In all honesty I'd like us to beat last seasons total which seems tough as we need 10 points. Real terms progress would be easier to claim given that last season was in part a mess, notwithstanding it being a stronger division this time.

Can we get 10 more points?

Bees win at Barnsley & both derbies, brave forecasting Snr Spanish....think we may win one of the derbies-funny feeling about Barnsley too. I'll go 7 more points.

overall it's been a pretty good season with some good football played and signs for optimism next year.

lets not forget that mr holloway tipped us to go down when qptr visit

Sorry Rebel, it's not that clear the way I put it. I am suggesting we lose to Derby, draw at Fulham and win the other three.

Ah got it now Spanish.

Can't argue condor, be very nice to cement Holloway's poor punditry by smashing them in a few weeks.

Decent season all things considered.