Cardiff v Swansea | Vital Football

Cardiff v Swansea

keith margam

Vital Football Legend
The much anticipated local derby is our next game this Saturday, kick off midday in the capital.
Cardiff had a poor start to the season with manager Neil Harris’ job under threat, but they have recently found some form. Four straight wins, with ten goals scored and only an own goal conceded make them the form side of the division, and it’s probably not the best time to play them. But we know that form goes out of the window in local derbies and it’s a fact that neither side have ever won both home and away games.
Cardiff are sweating on the fitness of Harry Wilson. He picked up an arm injury in the midweek win over Stoke and has been unable to train since.
Swans are in good form themselves with their defence conceding a miserly 10 goals in 17 games. They will make a late decision on key defenders Ryan Bennett, recovering from a hamstring strain, and Marc Guehi with concussion.
Steve Cooper: "It’s a game that means an awful lot to our supporters and it’s a game that we really want to win.”
Andre Ayew: “The passion is always there, these are the best games when you have a full stadium. It’s not the case this time, but we know the fans will be watching the game and we want to make them and the city proud.
Let’s not hide from it, it’s a big game. Form does not count, who is playing well or not does not count, it’s just a game you need to win for pride, for the club and the people.
When we won last year, it was special, you can sense that you have made people happy and they had enjoyed it. It was one of the best atmospheres I have played in.“

Last edited:
Form Guide last 6 matches:

Cardiff WWWWLD F11 A3 13 points
Stoke 1 - Cardiff 2
Watford 0 - Cardiff 1
Cardiff 3 - Huddersfield 0
Cardiff 4 - Luton 0
Coventry 1 - Cardiff 0
Millwall 1 - Cardiff 1

Swans DWLWDW F6 A3 11 points
Swans 0 - Bournemouth 0
Swans 2 - Luton 0
Middlesboro 2 - Swans 1
Forest 0 - Swans 1
Swans 1 - Sheff Wed 1
Swans 1 - Rotherham 0

Andre Ayew: I think we can be up there this season. We need to try and keep fighting. It's early, but we need to believe we can get this club back to where it belongs. I can’t say what’s going to happen in the future, but if I’m here, it’s because I’m planning to stay for the whole season. I feel that I’m very happy here, I'm playing well, the team is playing well. You don't know the future, but what you do know is that I'm happy here. That’s why I'm still here."

Bennett and Guehi passed fit and play, replacing Latibeaudiere and Cabango. Fulton replaces Dhanda.
All the fuss about Harry Wilson being injured, he plays.

Swansea City: Freddie Woodman; Kyle Naughton, Ryan Bennett, Marc Guehi; Connor Roberts, Korey Smith, Jay Fulton, Matt Grimes (captain), Jake Bidwell; Andre Ayew, Jamal Lowe.

Substitutes: Steven Benda, Ryan Manning, Joel Latibeaudiere, Ben Cabango, Yan Dhanda, Kasey Palmer, Wayne Routledge, Viktor Gyokeres, Liam Cullen.

Cardiff City: Alex Smithies; Leandro Bacuna, Curtis Nelson, Sean Morrison (captain), Joe Bennett; Joe Ralls, Will Vaulks; Sheyi Ojo, Harry Wilson, Mark Harris; Kieffer Moore.

Substitutes: Dillon Phillips, Robert Glatzel, Josh Murphy, Filip Benkovic, Greg Cunningham, Gavin Whyte, Marlon Pack, Sol Bamba, Joel Bagan.

Match not on SwansTV in UK, but the match is on Sky Sports or a day pass on NowTV £9.99.
Kick off is at 12.30pm.

Cardiff 0 - Swans 2
Possession: 43% - 57%
Shots: 8 - 11
On target: 2 - 4
Corners: 2 - 3
Fouls: 19 - 12
Cards: 3Y(1R) - 2Y

Steve Cooper:
“Any derby win is obviously a good one but to do it in the way we did it makes it even nicer. I thought we were more than good for it from start to finish.
We did it our way, with the ball, trying to play through the lines, trying to create proper chances.
Our position on the pitch was excellent. We found the spaces very well. We knew moving the ball together would get us to good areas and the game went to plan.
It's one for the supporters and I hope they have a good day."

The top six all won today, some a little fortuitously, and it remains tight at the top end of the table.
Norwich won 1-2 at Blackburn to stay top on 37 points.
Bournemouth won 5-0 at home to Huddersfield to stay in second place on 34 points.
Swans won at Cardiff 0-2, and they are in third place on 33 points.
Watford won at Birmingham 0-1 with an 85th minute penalty against ten man Birmingham, and they are in 4th place on 33 points
Reading won 0-1 at QPR with an 89th minute goal, and they are in 5th place on 33 points.
Brentford won 1-3 at Forest and they are in 6th place on 31 points.

Just to compare last season to this, and where we stood after 18 games.

Last Season 2019-2020
1 West Brom 18 39
2 Leeds 18 37
3 Fulham 18 32
5 Swans 18 30
We then started a bad run and slipped to 13th in the table with 7 points from the next 6 games, including a 1-5 home defeat to West Brom and home defeats to Fulham 1-2 and Brentford 1-3

This Season 2020-2021
1 Norwich 18 37
2 Bournemouth 18 34
3 Swansea 18 33

Projected number of points at the end of this season based on the above figures are:
Norwich 46 94
Bournemouth 46 86
Swansea 46 84

And to compare, the final table last season:
1 Leeds 46 93
2 WBA 46 83
4 Fulham 46 81 (play off winners)