Cardiff (A) | Page 5 | Vital Football

Cardiff (A)

But if a manager incapable of giving instructions to make formation work you shouldn't use it surely?
Sometimes, we're fine with it. However, when it goes tits up, and we get nervous, we don't commit players like we should.

That's not necessarily an instruction.

Sometimes, we're fine with it. However, when it goes tits up, and we get nervous, we don't commit players like we should.

That's not necessarily an instruction.

I don't think we've looked like committing players to attack very often this season or most of last season. Full backs get forward but that's about it really, it seems like the 2 or 3 attacking mids always way behind the striker let alone running beyond him or close enough to link up dangerously. They aren't even making late dangerous runs into the box and both centre mids too often covering for the full backs who most of the time aren't getting good delivery in. As striker is often so isolated if they ever run the channels to get the ball they look up to cross the ball and no one is there to pick out and if we ever break half the team are in a gentle jog rather than busting a gut to support the ball carrier. It feels like tactics are largely full back bomb up cross to 1 striker who is often heavily out numbered and everyone else not really involved in attacking play that much.

I don't think 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 is a fix all or 5-4-1 or 4-2-3-1 is automatically useless but depending on your manager and players some of them will work for you and others wont. So looking at what we are and not what we could be with a different manager or players; 1 up front and 5 at the back will always be negative and leave us light in attacks.

Might not be an issue for other managers but it is for us when we play it.

I don't think we've looked like committing players to attack very often this season or most of last season. Full backs get forward but that's about it really, it seems like the 2 or 3 attacking mids always way behind the striker let alone running beyond him or close enough to link up dangerously. They aren't even making late dangerous runs into the box and both centre mids too often covering for the full backs who most of the time aren't getting good delivery in. As striker is often so isolated if they ever run the channels to get the ball they look up to cross the ball and no one is there to pick out and if we ever break half the team are in a gentle jog rather than busting a gut to support the ball carrier. It feels like tactics are largely full back bomb up cross to 1 striker who is often heavily out numbered and everyone else not really involved in attacking play that much.

I don't think 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 is a fix all or 5-4-1 or 4-2-3-1 is automatically useless but depending on your manager and players some of them will work for you and others wont. So looking at what we are and not what we could be with a different manager or players; 1 up front and 5 at the back will always be negative and leave us light in attacks.

Might not be an issue for other managers but it is for us when we play it.
This is spot on. Massey and Lowe should in theory be bombing on going beyond Moore and buzzing in and around him, they spend half their time running back covering for the full backs. Massey has been a huge let down this season. Lowe again has not grasped the opportunity of playing in a higher league. IF we somehow survive we need a huge clear out at the end of the season - on and off the pitch if we want to progress

Absolutely- poor selection cost us 2 points today

If you were happy with Lowe, Evans and Naismith at LB starting then bringing Jacobs on as last sub with Garner on the bench and Lowe left on the pitch you'll be in a minority of just your aliases 😉
Eh?

Looks like a foul to me as well. Regardless the defending from the throw ins was atrocious, surely having an extra man in the box would have been more beneficial than have him stood doing nothing near the throw in taker.

To take this one further, it was a foul throw in... For BOTH of their goals. Food for thought.. I'll just stop there so i dont have to go on a rant about piss poor EFL refereeing has been this season for us.

To take this one further, it was a foul throw in... For BOTH of their goals. Food for thought.. I'll just stop there so i dont have to go on a rant about piss poor EFL refereeing has been this season for us.
Nah ............. if you read through the thread, this has already been brought up,. Apparently, the rule is that so long as any part of your foot is on the line, then you're OK.

Mixed feelings about the point yesterday.Led twice and could have won,but also could of lost in the last second,so quite satisfied with the draw at tough place in the end.
I've seen the highlights and it's a smart,cracking flick finish from Moore for our 1st.(It reminded me of Jason Roberts debut goal for us at Deepdale in Jan 04).
Their 1st goal was poor defending from us from the long throw,so soon after taking the lead as well.Our pen was a fair decision/good spot from the ref IMO.The shot was on target and definitely hit the defenders hand.The pen was well tucked away by Moore.
Lowe had a great chance apparently to make it 3-1 early in the 2nd half which was a massive moment in the game.Kendrick rated him a 5 along with Massey so it looks like they both had another poor game and hopefully won't start next week.
Then moments later,Cardiff equalised.IMO Morsy is definitely blocked off from closing the shot down and we should have had a free kick.The shot then took a huge,unlucky deflection off Naismith and went in.Bloody typical!
IMO I think that Cardiff disallowed goal at the end is debatable.Put it this way if that was at the other end I wouldn't have been too happy as it looked soft,but I can see why the ref gave it as goalkeepers are a very protected species in the modern game.(Too much for my liking).He seemed to be pinned to his line by 3 Cardiff players but they all seemed to be standing their ground and trying to attack the ball as it went up in the air,as Marshall didn't get enough on his 1st punch.I think in the modern game it's probably a 50 50 call and thankfully for once we got the the benefit of the doubt.
I haven't seen it but Harris said Evans should of been sent off in the 1st minute instead of a yellow,so we might have been a bit fortunate then.Lets face it though after that disgraceful performance from the ref on Tues we deserved a bit of the rub of the green with decisions.
Apparently Balogun had a solid game.I thought he did well when he came on against Boro as well,so encouraging early signs from him at CB.
We gained a point on 3 of the 4 sides directly above us and Huddersfield also drew,so all in all it was a satisfying day,even though Luton and Barnsley won.

If only we could defend a lead , we would have a topic of how can we strengthen for next season for a promotion push etc but we can`t and were not .
Instead we are battling against relegation and unless we sort the defensive frailties we will go down , i said earlier in the season lack of goals would kill us but now we are scoring goals and conceding the same and more ..
Millwall, Reading ,West Brom next 3 with 2 away .. we need 4 points from these games to stay in touch ..
Luton , Huddersfield and Stoke in March

If only we could defend a lead , we would have a topic of how can we strengthen for next season for a promotion push etc but we can`t and were not .
Instead we are battling against relegation and unless we sort the defensive frailties we will go down , i said earlier in the season lack of goals would kill us but now we are scoring goals and conceding the same and more ..
Millwall, Reading ,West Brom next 3 with 2 away .. we need 4 points from these games to stay in touch ..
Luton , Huddersfield and Stoke in March

We don't take enough points off the teams around us to stay up.

Stoke - Loss
Luton - Loss
Huddersfield - Draw
Barnsley - Draw

I can't see us getting 4 points from those three games either, ideally we need 12 out of them six games you named plus we have Blackburn somewhere in there so 13-15 in seven games is needed or we hit the 40+ game mark with our heads up or arses (Cook exempt as his is already lost up there).

We don't take enough points off the teams around us to stay up.

Stoke - Loss
Luton - Loss
Huddersfield - Draw
Barnsley - Draw

I can't see us getting 4 points from those three games either, ideally we need 12 out of them six games you named plus we have Blackburn somewhere in there so 13-15 in seven games is needed or we hit the 40+ game mark with our heads up or arses (Cook exempt as his is already lost up there).

That's not just this season either, over the last 3 seasons when we've played teams in and around us in head to heads we've very rarely got wins. Even in L1 we didn't manage to win many 6 pointers, we went up by rarely slipping up when we were heavy favourites, while last year we got over the line by mostly taking points off teams when we were the under dogs pulling off a lot of upsets.

I think it's down to mentality in these games we are too afraid of losing so don't really push hard for the win and more often than not end up with draws. There is an argument for that when you are playing teams below us but with everyone being above us now we're going to have to get brave and go for broke. We've got enough 6 pointers to keep us up if we win them, but it will require a major shift in mentality.

You can put a snoring emoji if you like but it's not a counter argument to Hampton's very valid point. Everyone knows Cardiff utilise long throws and we weren't prepared at all judging by the first goal - very poor from us.

Good point on the throw ins, do the coaching staff not watch videos of the opposition to determine strengths and weaknesses? All managers seem to do that nowadays, or does Cook and his merry men not bother and just leave things to chance?

Bloody amateur at best!