Captain is... | Vital Football

Captain is...

Judging on his words before he joined I felt he wanted the captaincy as I had previously stated. Wanting it and being a good skipper are two very different things. But that passion on the pitch to lead will help if he can focus on his own game and help others too.The best sides always have strong on pitch leadership.So I do think it is important. I hope Steve Evans has read it right.The lad certainly wants to make it work and that is the first key ingredient.

Would have given it to O’Keefe myself, but perhaps he’s not a guaranteed starter now we’ve signed Robertson?

Ideally, the skipper needs to be starting each game.

I'm assuming our loanees are pretty much guaranteed starters, at least for now - so in midfield, that's Coyle & Robertson.

I'm also assuming Dempsey & a fit Willock will be the order of preference in the middle. Does Graham come into the MF mix too?! I guess McDonald does. Will we be playing 3 or 4 in MF? All told, that won't leave as much game time for O'Keefe initially IMO.

Overall, I'm really encouraged by recruitment so far. Our squad feels stronger than it has for ages, even with the small numbers & obvious financial/covid constraints.

Add a goal-getter and an experienced defender & I don't think I'll be wanting for much more right now - maybe just a contract extension for the management team!

I think he’ll play Coyle further up and I also think Okeefe will be a starter.
We’ll see tomorrow.

Good call from what I’ve seen and read.

Not sure young Trae Coyle will be a first choice starter Fishy. Being just 18 I can see him being eased in, maybe sub appearances for a while. And if he starts tearing it up, then he might become regular.

Zech Medley I think will be more of a starter, but also rotated with the other defenders.

I do think Robertson has the potential to be a regular starter from early doors. It may be a false hope, but he does seem to be regarded as a future Celtic 1st team player, and currently not too far off that mark if he’s been training with their squad all pre-season and was on their bench a bit last season.

I do think Robertson has the potential to be a regular starter from early doors. It may be a false hope, but he does seem to be regarded as a future Celtic 1st team player, and currently not too far off that mark if he’s been training with their squad all pre-season and was on their bench a bit last season.
I don't think you can underestimate that move south away from friends and family for almost nine months. I think it will take him a few weeks at least to settle. Making friends in the squad is vital to the success of his loan.I would be shocked if he starts today to be honest.He will have to grow up fast regardless. This loan is not just about the player .Being so young too means his maturity is massively important.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if Robertson will be thrown straight into starting. Yes he might have potential but that's different to adapting to League One football straight away. Agree with Shotshy, I'd be amazed if O'Keefe didn't start today.

Hopefully we'll go a straight 4-4-2 and get some crosses into our strikers, but i'm not sure SE will go that way. Think he might play one main striker and two off. We appear to have better competition for places, without having seen any of them perform in the flesh. One big question is Willock, can be stay fit and get a string of games to show the potential SE keeps raving about.