Cant understand why ! | Page 2 | Vital Football

Cant understand why !

I used to think everything at Newcastle was brilliant, all the players were mint and anyone not of that opinion was wrong and clearly not a proper fan.
I was 9 years of age mind

McCreery - 31/8/2012 09:21

I've never understood the definition of 'top club'

Good point, not really a phrase I like to use either.

I mean if other clubs around us can continuously find money to strengthen the squad then why can't we? Are the other clubs taking too bigger gamble? Are we just being frugal? Or are we being a cash cow for our owner who is more interested in a quick profit than long term success in the trophy cabinet?

Spurs have decent support and would guess incomes are similar to ours, when they sold modric they were straight in the transfer market for replacements. When we sold Carroll who did we get in?

There is being frugal and then just cutting of your nose to spite your face.

I'm happy with results at the moment, but because I've followed football for 30 odd years I worry about the depth of squad to match or improve on last years achievements. Is there anything wrong with voicing concerns?

we are potentially playing another 10-15 games this year but haven't increased our already small squad. Surely doesnt take a genius to work out we are pushing our luck?

I agree with your concerns to be honest regarding the depth of the sqaud and just to repeat myself....I think it is an absolute fuckin disgrace that we haven't added some real quality to the squad this year

I'm just not of the opinion that because we get 50,000 plus crowds every other week it entitles us to silverware

Never said it does but should give you a better edge in the transfer market than some of our rivals. But like a say, are our rivals taking risks as we did with Fat Freddy? I'm not sure but I certain think Ashley is being overly cautious and I and dubious if this is in the clubs best interest.

I would agree that we aren't entitled to silverware because of our large crowds, however fans packing out the stadium most home games surely entitles us to see clear investment in the squad so that we can at least try and challenge for silverware. And elgorm i think you've hit the nail on the head about the line between being frugal and cutting off your nose to spite your face. Ashley has crossed from one to the other this summer. Because we can't get the players we want for a pittance he's walked away and jeopardised our chances of repeating last seasons success. IF we get anyone in today it will because they now think we need cover following Raylor getting crocked last night when in reality we needed the cover anyway

Nothing entitles us to silverware.......but most want the very best for the club and want to see it excell.

Very frustrating with an owner who constantly seems to take one step forward then two back..add to the fact the sheer arrogance of the current regime and of course people will kick off.

We've found ourselves in a great position and decided to not invest and gamble again......add to that the bloody awaful PR and bullshit that is spun out by the club and obviously it grinds the gears

I agree with the majority on this thread and also fail to see where we've said we should be winning stuff or are a top club.

We SHOULD be challenging to win stuff or be in a position to and the TOP club tag is something invented by the media. Attendances can determine a club's size and if so then we're a top club. Honours won in a certain period of time can also determine this, on this score we're one of the small fry. In days of old we were a giant but this is no history lesson.

For what it's worth, i'll always complain when things don't go right but im reserved at present with my views because ive a feeling we'll be left with egg on our face again on the back of another quality season.

I just hope we don't stand still in January with a potential strike force of Shola's left leg and Sammy's right.

elgorm - 31/8/2012 09:49

Never said it does but should give you a better edge in the transfer market than some of our rivals. But like a say, are our rivals taking risks as we did with Fat Freddy? I'm not sure but I certain think Ashley is being overly cautious and I and dubious if this is in the clubs best interest.

that was my point about history and geography though....the one thing that has been constant in recent history before Ashley took over is that we haven't won a thing despite having the 'edge in the transfer market'

I would like that to change as much as the next man but I don't lay all the blame on the current owners doorstep

Its easy to say we tried that route and it didnt work but that doesn't mean that going in the complete opposite direction will work.

Back in the day it was all about getting in the players at any price
Now its all about only if the price is right.

We need a balance of the two I think to be able to grow into a better club, if we just buy cheap and sell at a profit we will always be a mid table club. I hope we have the ambition to grow.

The simple fact is that a football clubs performance is judged on it's league position and if they win any trophies, we do not get any points for having a lower wage bill and the fact that we are about to head into the season with only 2 fit forwards is scandalous. We all know including our manager that the squad is light but the owner and his mate Derek have decided we will have to make do with what we have and be grateful that we didn't sell one of our big name players. I don't think Mike would treat his customers at shitedirect with such disdain but he has realised he can do whatever he wants and people will still turn up week in week out..................dreamland for Mike and Derek.

A fiver for kids last neet, cracking move by the owner, some kids will be feeling what we did all those years ago at our first match, I bet they enjoyed every minute...

Jinky the constant praising of the owner on every post is wearing thin.......if you must try and wind people up on every post at least keep it fresh. You need a new routine mate. Time to shake things up a bit.

Tomfoolery - 31/8/2012 10:53

A fiver for kids last neet, cracking move by the owner, some kids will be feeling what we did all those years ago at our first match, I bet they enjoyed every minute...
Thanks Mike

So you don't think that was a good marketing tool....??????, I do, he is looking after the next generation of customers, because lets be honest, he doesn't give a fuck about you lot...

So you keep saying.....

shearers boots - 31/8/2012 08:33

People are on a NUFC football forum ,When all they do is slag the owner, the club, fans who go to the match, More or less anything to do with NUFC ,,,, Why not start your own WE HATE ANYTHING TO DO WITH NUFC forum

We are all Toon fans , So should be pulling in the same direction,Fuck me Rangers fans have been shaffted big style and they had nearly 50,000 for their first home game of the season ,We would have a few clowns with Cockney mafia banners or some turds jumping up and down at the sky sports camera :14: :14:

Fuck off you grateful ****!

:2:

A good marketing tool would have been to knock it down to a quid or give blocks of seats to schools..could have filled the ground

Tomfoolery - 31/8/2012 11:03

So you don't think that was a good marketing tool....??????, I do, he is looking after the next generation of customers, because lets be honest, he doesn't give a fuck about you lot...

So you keep saying.....

Not exactly groundbreaking promotion.

If he gets 15,000 at £25 a ticket
Or 30,000 at £15 a ticket.

Its common sense and should be used for all similar games, the owner doesnt lose out and neither does the fan. Not worth noshing him off over though.

You didn't really think that through, did you...

Blocks of school kids..??? What with a couple of teachers, it would be mayhem, kids at a stadium with over 30,000 people need a parent with them..