Can we talk about Vadaine... | Vital Football

Can we talk about Vadaine...

OneSirKeefy

Vital Football Hero
According to the L1 stats guru on twitter.

Last week Vadaine Oliver won 14 aerial battles v Wigan which was the highest in L1

This week he again won 14 which was again the highest in the league.

Is he ever going to break 15? Or has he just plateaued? 🤔

Seriously, I think he has been the revelation of our season so far. Who thought out of all our classy signings that he would be one of the best? Was not the signing we were all talking about that’s for sure.

That bit of play on Saturday to set up Dom’s 2nd goal was every bit as good as Dom’s finish.

Agreed, wins everything in the air and his hold up play is good. He's pretty mobile too. Hopefully can get on the end of some of those Graham crosses and get his share of goals. Thought he'd signed as back up to Akinde but looks like the other way round

Good post OSK. Oliver has not had the credit he deserves as most posts are about other 'name' signings or injuries. Watching Vadaine on Saturday it was clear he is so often in the right place at the right time. His timing to jump also, often has him head and shoulders above equally large defenders to meet a cross. Only a few games in but he certainly does look to be a very significant signing for us.

Northampton fans did rate him very highly for his hold up play and work rate.
They also said he didn’t score enough for a number nine but fortunately we didn’t sign him as a number nine .
So far, his input has been excellent.

Not often you see a team sub off a CB for another CB when 2-0 down.
Vadaine absolutely bullied them, and the hold up play for the 2nd goal was fantastic.
Already 3 assists to his name this season, and plenty more to come hopefully.

I agree. Not quite Eaves yet, but not a dissimilar concept - i.e. someone with no great record, who has come to a higher level and hit the ground running and offered us that physical and aerial ability we have lacked and need. Another big positive is that it means we have some great competition for our target man role up top between Oliver and Akinde. Oliver's introduction can only get the best out of Akinde surely?

Unfortunately too many muppet fans struggle to understand the concept of a striker who does not score.

Its usually older fans who are still in the world where a defender defends then once they win the ball they pass it to the midfielder whose job it is to pass it to the striker for him to score and never should the three roles mix.

Last edited:
OSK, on August 7th i did say to you:

"Vadaine`s gonna be good, OSK, real gooood"

The man brings a lot to the table, week in week out. His power, heading and running represent great all-round value; a rather modest goal scoring record can occasionally mask that value.

I've been mightily impressed with him. He's big but not so big you'd expect him to dominate to the level he does.

For the first hour or so he won everything at Wigan and likewise on Saturday. He'll be limited for goals due to lack of pace but that doesn't bother me one iota if he keeps doing what he's been doing.

Unfortunately too many muppet fans struggle to understand the concept of a striker who does not score.

Its usually older fans who are still in the world where a defender defends then once they win the ball they pass it to the striker to score and never should the two roles mix.

I agree with your first comment, but, a lot of oldies remember a number of defenders bringing the ball out of defence and participating in the attack. John Charles did it many times when playing centre half for Wales, one of his runs against N Ireland was in the opening scenes of Soccer Special the forerunner of Match of the Day it with him taking the ball from one penalty area to the other ending with Wales scoring. Jim Baxter comes to mind as an attacking defender, Terry Cooper, and many other overlapping fullbacks. Finally Don Revie playing for Man City as a deep laying centre forward making rather than scoring goals. Even in those days us crusties did understand different tactics, dumb football fans have always been there and still are.

I agree with your first comment, but, a lot of oldies remember a number of defenders bringing the ball out of defence and participating in the attack. John Charles did it many times when playing centre half for Wales, one of his runs against N Ireland was in the opening scenes of Soccer Special the forerunner of Match of the Day it with him taking the ball from one penalty area to the other ending with Wales scoring. Jim Baxter comes to mind as an attacking defender, Terry Cooper, and many other overlapping fullbacks. Finally Don Revie playing for Man City as a deep laying centre forward making rather than scoring goals. Even in those days us crusties did understand different tactics, dumb football fans have always been there and still are.
Haha well that's probably a good point.

According to the L1 stats guru on twitter.

Last week Vadaine Oliver won 14 aerial battles v Wigan which was the highest in L1

This week he again won 14 which was again the highest in the league.

Is he ever going to break 15? Or has he just plateaued? 🤔

Seriously, I think he has been the revelation of our season so far. Who thought out of all our classy signings that he would be one of the best? Was not the signing we were all talking about that’s for sure.

That bit of play on Saturday to set up Dom’s 2nd goal was every bit as good as Dom’s finish.
A bit like how Eaves surprised us all, coming from a lower division and relatively unknown.