Can we stay up? | Page 5 | Vital Football

Can we stay up?

Rochdale have won 9 games all season, they have 39 points from 41 games, they would have to average 1 point per game MORE than us to overtake us when they have less than a point a game all season, they would need to go into title winning form to overtake us, they are not good enough for that, let alone still having to play teams fighting for playoff places.

Just had a look at Rochdale's fixtures and can't see them as easy. Blackpool at home, no chance. Crewe away , little chance. Wimbledon away, no chance. MK Don's away, little chance.

MK Dons, Doncaster and Crewe playing for nothing and as the weeks go more likely to be on the beach.

Wimbledon a 6 pointer.

Blackpool are on good for me and it is a hard fixture.

That is the best set of fixtures out of anyone in the bottom 6.

We know from past experience the form book goes out the window in the final run and teams who've been crap all season out of the blue can go on a life saving run. Rochdale have saved themselves with form busting runs multiple times at this level.

A win for them and a loss for us midweek and they are 2 behind us with a game in hand and better goal difference. Then their tails go up and the pressure mounts on us and it really is cat amongst the pigeons.

With 5 games to go last season most people still thought Luton and Barnsley were destined for the drop and look what happened. We can't bank on other results going for us, so just got to keep doing our bit.

Last edited:
There's no doubt that Evans and Ojo deserve the plaudits in this piece, but (after a slow start to his time with us) Joe Dodoo is showing that his recruitment in January was quite a shrewd move ... despite the woeful assessments since from many fans.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/five-things-we-learned-from-crewe-h-3205163

I remember hearing good things about Dodoo and seeing a highlight video of him looking amazing just before he went to Rangers about 6 years ago. Since then I kept an eye out for his name to see if he was as good as the hype. It seemed like he wasnt - he went a few places but never stayed long or played much anywhere. After a couple of games here it seemed like we were going to be another club he would leave without making an impact - he looked lightweight for a striker and not skillfull enough to be a winger. But last few games his work rate and physicality have significantly improved and he's been a real asset leading the line.

Not sure if it's work on training pitch, fear of getting released again or something else motivating him to up his game but whatever it is he's certainly improved.

We know from past experience the form book goes out the window in the final run and teams who've been crap all season out of the blue can go on a life saving run. Rochdale have saved themselves with form busting runs multiple times at this level.

A win for them and a loss for us midweek and they are 2 behind us with a game in hand and better goal difference. Then their tails go up and the pressure mounts on us and it really is cat amongst the pigeons.

With 5 games to go last season most people still thought Luton and Barnsley were destined for the drop and look what happened. We can't bank on other results going for us, so just got to keep doing our bit.

Barnsley still finished in a relegation position, our administration kept them up nothing else, Luton showed good form for nearly as long as we did.

Rochdale have won 3 of their last 20 + games and need to win 3 games more than us to overtake us on points, title winning form.

Barnsley still finished in a relegation position, our administration kept them up nothing else, Luton showed good form for nearly as long as we did.

Rochdale have won 3 of their last 20 + games and need to win 3 games more than us to overtake us on points, title winning form.

As I said, at this time of the season past form means nothing and you can't take anything for granted.

No one would've thought many of our great escapes were likely (or a couple of Rochdales a few seasons back) so I'm not counting any chickens yet.

No, but current form does. Right now I wouldn't want to be playing 3 teams...us, Wimbledon and Blackpool. Rochdale play 2 of those 3 in next 3 games.

But they play 3 teams you would want to play and a 6 pointer against a team you are trying to overtake is probably one you would also want.

We certainly wouldn't want to play Hull away - that must be the worst fixture we could ask for. I ideally wouldnt want Burton either - as even though Burton should be playing for nothing they've been on fire since Hasselbiank came back. That game i fear will be much harder than people are expecting.

We've seen too many unlikely great escapes over the years to dismiss anyone when it's still so close at the bottom.

Yes, we have to look at Hull and Burton with some trepidation, so a win over Shrewsbury would certainly calm my nerves. Saying that we have beaten Doncaster and Sunderland and H and B are pushing for promotion so we should fear no-one. I would like to be going into the Swindon game at least hour points clear.

Reminds me of walking round the corner in Brentford after we had been relegated, to be greeted by a full pub singing "We only need four points, we only need four points!" Happy days :ooops:

Yes, we have to look at Hull and Burton with some trepidation, so a win over Shrewsbury would certainly calm my nerves. Saying that we have beaten Doncaster and Sunderland and H and B are pushing for promotion so we should fear no-one. I would like to be going into the Swindon game at least hour points clear.

Reminds me of walking round the corner in Brentford after we had been relegated, to be greeted by a full pub singing "We only need four points, we only need four points!" Happy days :ooops:

Loved that day out piemon, fans singing "we are staying up" when we won a corner, even though we were already relegated. In a pub after the game a Brentford fan asked my lad (age 14) why we'd been singing such and he replied "cos it's Wigan mate, we're all a bit mental"

... and H and B are pushing for promotion ...

Hull are already all but promoted (but will still be chasing the title), but how do you get that Burton are pushing for promotion? They're 13 points off the play offs.