Can we stay up? | Page 4 | Vital Football

Can we stay up?

if this season has taught us anything it’s that many of the teams are as shite as each other so it’s pointless trying to predict anything. Look at Wimbledon yesterday. We need to focus on ourselves one game at a time.

I was delighted to see us put a performance together and to score some good goals but one swallow does not make a summer. Doncaster were woeful which is incredible considering they still have an outside chance of the play-offs. And that for me sums up what this league is all about - it’s so unpredictable it’s frightening. I won’t be getting excited about us staying up until we back up Saturdays win with four points from the next two games. If we do that we give ourselves a great chance

I've had a go at league calculator and done a few scenarios and I think Wimbledon finish top of our mini relegation league and stay up by a couple of points, we most likely finish second or third by a single point, goal difference or even goals scored.

I think it will go to the last day and be decided on the finest of margins.

Could really do with thumping someone to fix the goal difference.

Only 2 aways out our final 6 games.....
I’d prefer it the other way round , for whatever reason 3 home wins out of 19 so far is pitiful......conversely 7 away wins is ’mid table stuff’....which is where we would be with just a poor (rather than abject) home record

We've got a good chance, think Northampton might be the ones we need to look at, Wimbledon may well get out of it with the games they have left. Ironically, Cook might be the one to sink or save us, as they have 4 games against teams in the mire (unfortunately, 3 of them are away and as we saw a couple of weeks back, Ipswich are utterly dreadful). Looks like Dale have gone, big ask for them now

Last edited:
We've got a good chance, think Northampton might be the ones we need to look at, Wimbledon may well get out of it with the games they have left. Ironically, Cook might be the one to sink or save us, as they have 4 games against teams in the mire (unfortunately, 3 of them are away and as we saw a couple of weeks back, Ipswich are utterly dreadful). Looks like Dale have gone, big ask for them now
Wouldn't say Dale are gone at all, they've got arguably the easiest run of games left with loads of teams out of form with nothing to play for. They beat Swindon on Tuesday and we lose as expected to Sunderland, they go two behind us with a game in hand.

It was so important on Saturday to win by three clear goals for that goal difference. Tuesday is a complete free hit, but we need to make sure we don't get battered. 0-1 would not be the end of the world. The three games after Sunderland will be make or break. We're playing three teams with their eyes firmly on the beach whilst a number of the other teams are either playing tough opposition or each other. No excuses, we need two wins minimum.

At this level, playing sides with nothing to play for is a distinct advantage. In between Sunderland and Hull, there are three fixtures against sides who have nothing to play for, and 7-9 points should be the bare minimum here. Swindon will be down by the last game and another 3 points should be targetted. I see us with 48-50 points which sometimes is enough.

Bristol, Rochdale & Swindon are crap and will go down, Wimbledon play Rochdale & Swindon and will get enough points from their other fixtures to stay up.

Northampton have a much tougher run in, playing sides who currently have everything to play for, and its hard to see them picking up 7-9 points from those games.

Its between Wigan & Northampton IMHO.

2-0 Dale so far tonight and easier games vs on the beach teams to come. They are not out of this yet by a long shot!

Paul Cook's abysmal start at Ipswich continues as Wimbledon get another three points. Is he the same gaffer without his trusty sidekick?

Bad night for Swindon and the two non-playing sides. Plenty of twists and turns still to come no doubt.

2-0 Dale so far tonight and easier games vs on the beach teams to come. They are not out of this yet by a long shot!

Paul Cook's abysmal start at Ipswich continues as Wimbledon get another three points. Is he the same gaffer without his trusty sidekick?

Bad night for Swindon and the two non-playing sides. Plenty of twists and turns still to come no doubt.

Considering how close it will likely be, the final day could swing everything.

Wigan vs Swindon
Sunderland vs Northampton
MK vs Rochdale
Lincoln vs Wimbledon
Blackpool vs Bristol.

Let's hope the play off's and automatic promotion go the the final day as we could end up with our rivals all playing teams resting players for the play offs or with nothing to play for.

Move on to Saturday, fantastic result that tonight...interestingly, have noticed tonight that Northampton now play at Peterborough on Friday night, while on Saturday, Wimbledon have either been quite cute (or put pressure on themselves), by moving their game with Swindon to late afternoon after all their rivals have played

Not just Richardson he is missing, he's not got anyone from the backroom staff he had with us or at Pompey. Maybe Cook's success was less about him and more to do with his staff than anyone realised.

As we found out with Rosler - without Warburton finding him all the gems he was nowhere near as effective as manager. Sometimes you only realise how much a manager is dependent on his staff when they aren't there.

He is really getting some stick from Ipswich fans. Only a point out side play off when he came in. Can’t buy a win and stoped scoring now.

The local Ipswich press were very critical of Lambert and quite aggressive in interviews for a long time - they were even calling for his sacking.

We all remember Cook's over the top reaction to that Wish reporter who wasn't soft balling him - so i can see it getting very feisty if results and performances don't pick up.

With hindsight i wonder if Cook wished he hung on until after the takeover was done to see if he could slide back into his job here and avoid having to move house and having to go it alone.

The local Ipswich press were very critical of Lambert and quite aggressive in interviews for a long time - they were even calling for his sacking.

We all remember Cook's over the top reaction to that Wish reporter who wasn't soft balling him - so i can see it getting very feisty if results and performances don't pick up.

With hindsight i wonder if Cook wished he hung on until after the takeover was done to see if he could slide back into his job here and avoid having to move house and having to go it alone.
I suspect he's far more annoyed that he took the job about two weeks before the Preston gig became available.

Said it once and I’ll say it again. Rochdale are right in this. Beat Blackpool on Tuesday and they’ll probably pose the biggest threat of catching us.

The one positive is that Rochdale’s big game in hand is away at Wimbledon, which means that at least one of them has to drop points.

Said it once and I’ll say it again. Rochdale are right in this. Beat Blackpool on Tuesday and they’ll probably pose the biggest threat of catching us.

The one positive is that Rochdale’s big game in hand is away at Wimbledon, which means that at least one of them has to drop points.
Totally agree rochdale are the one we need to be aware of
But shrewsbury should be also looking over their shoulders if we beat them tuesday and we win Saturday and they lose
We will be level on points big if i know

Just had a look at Rochdale's fixtures and can't see them as easy. Blackpool at home, no chance. Crewe away , little chance. Wimbledon away, no chance. MK Don's away, little chance.

Totally agree rochdale are the one we need to be aware of
But shrewsbury should be also looking over their shoulders if we beat them tuesday and we win Saturday and they lose
We will be level on points big if i know

Shrewsbury are on 50 points now, not a cat in hells chance that 3 clubs below them can get more than that.