Can I be the first to say..... | Vital Football

Can I be the first to say.....

Rob_b100

Vital 1st Team Regular
Firstly, ok, we all love a club legend. Everybody wanted Lovell to succeed. Of course we did. Probably even PS himself. Just as we all wanted aidy to do well, Hessy in his 2nd stint, Taylor on his number of different times. And Micky Flynn, or joey dunne, or patto if any got the chance. BUT

In Steve Evans we have a devisive, larger than life (lol!), well known, semi proven at this level, manager. The last time this happened was mad dog and we all remember that season. Due to various reasons I haven’t had a season ticket for the last 3 years and have attended on and off (more off if I’m being honest), yet with the “pack Priestfield” stuff, and then the price announcement I was considering one again. With the prospect of a kick up the arse new regime, I really think I’m gonna get one. I’m fed up of nice guys that say the right things And Wanna be everyone’s friend. Fuck it!

I feel Scally May see this as his last role of the dice too. If, and it is a big if, we could get up to the championship again, it makes us more appealing to future investors and also massages his ego. Let’s face it, that’s something we all like.

So I know Steve Evans has had a checkered past, and some may not forgive him for it and may just be waiting for him to fail, but let’s at least try and start with a clean slate for him.

Welcome Steve and the best of luck.

UTG.

So I know Steve Evans has had a checkered past, and some may not forgive him for it and may just be waiting for him to fail, but let’s at least try and start with a clean slate for him.

If he's the manager, then we have to get behind him. That's something some fans find it hard to do; probably the same lot, who still bear a grudge against Swindon.

Firstly, ok, we all love a club legend. Everybody wanted Lovell to succeed. Of course we did. Probably even PS himself. Just as we all wanted aidy to do well, Hessy in his 2nd stint, Taylor on his number of different times. And Micky Flynn, or joey dunne, or patto if any got the chance. BUT

In Steve Evans we have a devisive, larger than life (lol!), well known, semi proven at this level, manager. The last time this happened was mad dog and we all remember that season. Due to various reasons I haven’t had a season ticket for the last 3 years and have attended on and off (more off if I’m being honest), yet with the “pack Priestfield” stuff, and then the price announcement I was considering one again. With the prospect of a kick up the arse new regime, I really think I’m gonna get one. I’m fed up of nice guys that say the right things And Wanna be everyone’s friend. Fuck it!

I feel Scally May see this as his last role of the dice too. If, and it is a big if, we could get up to the championship again, it makes us more appealing to future investors and also massages his ego. Let’s face it, that’s something we all like.

UTG.
Well said Rob

If he's the manager, then we have to get behind him. That's something some fans find it hard to do; probably the same lot, who still bear a grudge against Swindon.

And you know what Wayne, I do understand that. Football fans have ridiculously long memories. I hated Nigel worthington for years after the Blackpool throw-in incident. Warnock, Allardyce and I’m sure many others I can’t remember have slagged us off during the years. But secretly we all want success, and if it takes a bad guy to achieve it, then bring it on!

Yes I think we should all get behind him. You never know, a good start and we could at least spend most of the season in the top half - and not be afraid to play some of our young players - the 20 year old's who will be 21 during next season.

Great post Rob. My first match was Workington at home in 1961 and been a lifelong supporter and season ticket holder until three or four years ago. The number of games I now attend is about five a season predominantly due to the standard of football from teams managed by our ex pro’s or managers on their third attempts and past their sell by dates. I now will be considering buying a season ticket again for the coming season, you take Steve Evans as he comes but his record getting teams promoted or in the play offs is there for all to see.

Frankly it’s about time we became ‘nasty’ Gillingham that no one wants to play. How many decrying the appointment have watched us outpassed, outthought, and outfought at home far too often over the last few seasons. If Evans can change that, he’s got my full support.

This whole Evans appointment only works if the players buy into his regime to start with, or how long before his way is lost on the players. Judging by his previous stints, it won't be long.

Frankly it’s about time we became ‘nasty’ Gillingham that no one wants to play. How many decrying the appointment have watched us outpassed, outthought, and outfought at home far too often over the last few seasons. If Evans can change that, he’s got my full support.

I’d add to that “outbullied and “outcheated” too - too often we’ve had teams come to Priestfield and con referees which has just been met with shrugged shoulders from our players and coaches rather than snarling and confrontation as we saw from the likes of Pulis, Hess, Smith, Ashby, Iffy and co 20 odd years ago. I’d rather be hated by opponents, but winners. I guess that’s why I and a lot of us have always hated Evans previously.

He’s our manager now - I wish him luck and will back him.

I don’t mind giving Evans a chance. It had better work out or we are screwed. Best of luck to him.

Just don’t ask me to like Swindon (*spit). ?

I like decent chaps. I'm still in shock about how Basil was treated. Thought he was unlucky.

Seriously, can't help but be excited that we've snagged Dr. Evil's henchman.

Welcome Mr Evans and the best of luck.

Agree about that & to be honest I cringe when our fans still sing the "we hate Swindon" chant when they don't really care about us anymore.

Did they ever care about us?

The reason we hate them is how they cheated us through twats like McHale, White and Kamara. I don't think they ever had a reason to hate us as they won the games in question, once gaining a promotion from it.

Mind you, Ken Price may have been seen as a bit of a pantomime villain.

Well I remember a police march to take us all to the station after one game. Swindon fans were lining the road, giving us abuse all the way.

Well I remember a police march to take us all to the station after one game. Swindon fans were lining the road, giving us abuse all the way.

I was in that same procession the year we were both vying for promotion.

But TBF, I think that was the norm for whatever team was playing Swindon back then, it was a “lively” place. The magic roundabout when on the coaches was also not for the faint-hearted (like me, nearly shat myself).

I'm not going to risk looking like an idiot in 11 months time after we've been promoted, but I'm going to need convincing that Evans is capable of having moments when he resembles a reasonable human being.

There's a difference between being passionate about your job, especially in football, and generally being a nasty piece of work.

I will of course support my club. Steve Evans will have to earn my respect (though I doubt that'll be the first on his list of priorities on 1st June)

I was at the last Swindon V Gillingham game (Tuesday night in 2017) and I doubt anyone there would have detected even a hint of any bitter rivalry, on the field or in the stands. Pointless non-rivalry.

Did they ever care about us?

The reason we hate them is how they cheated us through twats like McHale, White and Kamara. I don't think they ever had a reason to hate us as they won the games in question, once gaining a promotion from it.

Mind you, Ken Price may have been seen as a bit of a pantomime villain.

Not being funny, but did you go to any of the Gills v Swine games in the 70s or 80s? If you were too young, have you not studied any Gills' history? Presumably you must have done one or the other, given the name checks above... It was a fierce mutual rivalry in the 70s and 80s - lots of violence and feeling on and off of the pitch from both sets of players and supporters. Surprised people dismiss history so readily.

I do agree that there is little or no rivalry now. People say that the rivalry is now one way and Swindon don't care about us - the latter is true, but I think in our heart of hearts, none of us, even those who were around at the time, give two hoots about the current Swindon team and set-up, even if we have historic hatred for them.