Cambridge United 1-5 Lincoln City: What 3 Things Did We Learn? | Vital Football

Cambridge United 1-5 Lincoln City: What 3 Things Did We Learn?

Talk of Lincoln being embroiled in a relegation fight appear to have been a little premature. The ingredients for relegation include an inability to score goals, players not up to the level of the league and little scope for improvement. That certainly doesn't sound like Lincoln.

10 day breaks are handy for any side but they seem especially useful for Lincoln. Last season an injury crisis and a drop off in form lead to a poor set of results after the turn of the year. But a 10 day break allowed City to regroup and a distinct improvement followed. After a slowish start this year a similar break is followed by a thumping win. No doubt the return of key players is crucial but the luxury of a chunk of training under a coach as good as Michael Appleton will also have contributed significantly on both occasions.

The squad might be light in numbers but not in quality with the likes of Maguire and Fiorini coming off the bench today. In any case small squads aren't necessarily bad things. Bigger squad with lots of new players can actually take longer to get playing the way you want and produce the results you need. At least that's what they say in Suffolk.

Talk of Lincoln being embroiled in a relegation fight appear to have been a little premature. The ingredients for relegation include an inability to score goals, players not up to the level of the league and little scope for improvement. That certainly doesn't sound like Lincoln.

10 day breaks are handy for any side but they seem especially useful for Lincoln. Last season an injury crisis and a drop off in form lead to a poor set of results after the turn of the year. But a 10 day break allowed City to regroup and a distinct improvement followed. After a slowish start this year a similar break is followed by a thumping win. No doubt the return of key players is crucial but the luxury of a chunk of training under a coach as good as Michael Appleton will also have contributed significantly on both occasions.

The squad might be light in numbers but not in quality with the likes of Maguire and Fiorini coming off the bench today. In any case small squads aren't necessarily bad things. Bigger squad with lots of new players can actually take longer to get playing the way you want and produce the results you need. At least that's what they say in Suffolk.
Contradictions abound in this analyse in my view Chimp . A 10 day break has come at the right time again eh? How many ten day breaks are you hoping for Chimp? Ipswich may fail or succeed this season its far too early to make comparisons but will every team with a sizable squad have a poor season? I doubt it .Further more Chimp were you an Imp during the Murphy/Gilbert Blades days? A bigger squad would have come in pretty handy during our attempt at gaining a spot in the second tier back then .

Contradictions abound in this analyse in my view Chimp . A 10 day break has come at the right time again eh? How many ten day breaks are you hoping for Chimp? Ipswich may fail or succeed this season its far too early to make comparisons but will every team with a sizable squad have a poor season? I doubt it .Further more Chimp were you an Imp during the Murphy/Gilbert Blades days? A bigger squad would have come in pretty handy during our attempt at gaining a spot in the second tier back then .
Hi Oldgaurd.

Let's go through these contradictions then.

A ten day break came at the right time. This is a view. My view admittedly but what does that contradict, pray tell.
Am I hoping for more? Well yes. I think we may get some, with up and coming international weeks.

Will all squads that are big fail. Almost certainly not. Not sure what that contradicts.

In any case it was a tongue in cheek reference to Ipswich having the advantage of plenty of cash but little sign of it being well spent yet. From what I can see they might have been better off keeping Ted Bishop than waving their cheque book at others.

Yes, I was a regular during the Murphy/Gilbert Blades days. Used to stand on the terrace just near/under the directors box/area. Remember Gilbert Blades offer left over sandwiches or pork pie from the buffet at half time...if few new signings.

Anyway yes, absolutely they could have done with a squad about the size we have now. It would have made all the difference.
But that squad wasn't much above a bare but brilliant eleven. A squad of even 18/20 players of the calibre of the starters would have seen them home.

But to return to our differences on squad sizes in 2021.

You told me I was clueless on squad sizes when I said in June or July that no increase on last season was optimum... because I thought it allowed quality and "adequate" quantity.

You also asked me if I had ever managed a football team. I must admit despite being involved in numerous roles in numerous clubs over many years including selection and management, I am not a member of the LMA.

I did however find it interesting to read Lee Johnson was aiming at a squad of 24 including 4 younger players and that MA reckons he is 2 short with a squad of 22.

I see no no contradiction in my statements or views.

I always cheat though and agree with the people who run our club so well and realistically.

UTI

Hi Oldgaurd.

Let's go through these contradictions then.

A ten day break came at the right time. This is a view. My view admittedly but what does that contradict, pray tell.
Am I hoping for more? Well yes. I think we may get some, with up and coming international weeks.

Will all squads that are big fail. Almost certainly not. Not sure what that contradicts.

In any case it was a tongue in cheek reference to Ipswich having the advantage of plenty of cash but little sign of it being well spent yet. From what I can see they might have been better off keeping Ted Bishop than waving their cheque book at others.

Yes, I was a regular during the Murphy/Gilbert Blades days. Used to stand on the terrace just near/under the directors box/area. Remember Gilbert Blades offer left over sandwiches or pork pie from the buffet at half time...if few new signings.

Anyway yes, absolutely they could have done with a squad about the size we have now. It would have made all the difference.
But that squad wasn't much above a bare but brilliant eleven. A squad of even 18/20 players of the calibre of the starters would have seen them home.

But to return to our differences on squad sizes in 2021.

You told me I was clueless on squad sizes when I said in June or July that no increase on last season was optimum... because I thought it allowed quality and "adequate" quantity.

You also asked me if I had ever managed a football team. I must admit despite being involved in numerous roles in numerous clubs over many years including selection and management, I am not a member of the LMA.

I did however find it interesting to read Lee Johnson was aiming at a squad of 24 including 4 younger players and that MA reckons he is 2 short with a squad of 22.

I see no no contradiction in my statements or views.

I always cheat though and agree with the people who run our club so well and realistically.

UTI
Hi chimp just ignore me mate sometimes I spout utter bilge I really do

What we learned was that all the doom mongers and naysayers might just be wrong.

Not that football fans a fickle or anything but a bit of slow start and Jeez according to some comments I had seen we had signed a bunch of Donkeys, unbelievable!

I had people telling me that the only decent signing we had made was Bishop. I thought bloody hell give them a chance it's marathon not a sprint. I personally always thought we had signed some cracking players and they are starting to show that now.

When will people learn we don't sign players on a wing and prayer anymore and while we won't get everyone right our percentage success rate is pretty damned high because we are diligent and do the hard yards before we sign a player. You only get out of things what you put in and we put a lot into it and ultimately we will get a lot out.