Calderwood Leaving | Vital Football

Calderwood Leaving

SaskPool

Vital Football Legend
Blackpool Football Club can confirm that Colin Calderwood is to leave his position on the coaching staff in order to pursue an opportunity with Northampton Town.

The 56-year-old, who lives in Northamptonshire, is now working a period of notice, having joined the Seasiders as an Assistant Head Coach in October 2020.

The Club would like to place on record its thanks to Colin for all his efforts throughout the season and wish him the very best of luck for the future.

Must admit, I've no idea how good he is/was at his job. I'll defer to those who know. But, l if he is that good, why only a 2IC for a Divvy 2 club? Didn't anyone want him as a manager?

His impact with us (although undoubtedly positive) has been over-egged by many.
That's my suspicion but I have no knowledge of what is what behind the scenes. A number of things came together around that time, key signings and players settling in and learning the tactics etc. And we had been playing well apart from a weakness in front of both goals. It seemed too simple and too narrow to say that Calderwood sorted it all out. Like the arrivals of Ballard, Gretarsson and Dougall weren't significant. But I don't know how much Calderwood affected things. Maybe he sorted the defensive set up out, maybe he influenced the change in tactics, to a more pragmatic approach etc. I suspect we will manage without him tbh. I think Critch knows how to set up a defence and vary the formation and tactics.