Byrne | Vital Football

Byrne

wxgill

Vital 1st Team Regular
As there is no news on this do we assume he's involved in negotiations with other clubs now, if he wasn't already?

I'd reckon that he's looking at options and weighing up what is in his families best interest.
SL will lose patience eventually because he is trying to put together a committed squad.
A squad who want to play for the club.
A squad who will give 100% week in week out.

While I appreciate Byrne needs to do what is best for him, a final deadline must be given so Gills can consider other options. It's a two way street.

All we know is that bothing has been reported either way. What communication has taken place between Byrne, Lovell and GFC we don’t know so may not simply be a case of Lovell running out of patience. A deadline may have been set behind the scenes with everyone’s full understanding.

I note Byrne posted a video on his Twitter / Instagram of himself training at a gym wearing a gills training top. Maybe his previous deal didn’t pay him enough to buy his own clothes.

If I was offered a job, and then decided to not confirm whether I was going to work there for a month, I would expect the offer to be cancelled at some point.

Football is a weird world.

Same here Bromley

I'd be happy if he signed but not devastated if he didn't.

I'd say that he is a slightly better than average League One player who gives everything, but … that's about it.

With the new acquisitions, Byrne might not necessarily be an automatic pick, although still a useful squad member.

I think the players report back in 18 days.
Nash spoke of going back a week early .It sounded optional so my guess is most of the squad are back on Monday 2nd of July .But Lovell or and his coaches are back the week before and have left it open to those who wish to take up training a week early .It may now be only about ten days before some including Nash are back getting ready for Folkestone on the 6th of July .If many of the younger players intend to give pre season a real go it could be most of all will be joining Nashy . That could be a reason why many have still yet to sign as they will be back before the end of the month and will sign then .

Last edited:
After playing in Ireland, Byrne started at Nottingham Forest in 2007 (but only after unsuccessful trials at Leicester and Stoke) and made 2 appearances for them between loans which were mainly to non league clubs.

Since 2011 he has played for Barnet and Newport before us. He is now 29. Despite winning player of the year (which I would have given to Holy or Zak) I doubt whether that would have come to the attention of many other clubs, particularly as his strength is as a cog in a team rather than as an individual.

If the above is his CV, do many of you think any other club would be pulling out the stops to sign him?

Actually, I take that back. I forgot Bradford have given Josh Wright a two year contract:lol:

Nash spoke of going back a week early .ItiIt i sounded optional so my guess is most of the squad are back on Monday 2nd of July .But Lovell or and his coaches are back the week before and have left it open to those who wish to take up training a week early .It may now be only about ten days before some including Nash are back getting ready for Folkestone on the 6th of July .If many of the younger players intend to give pre season a real go it could be most of all will be joining Nashy . That could be a reason why many have still yet to sign as they will be back before the end of the month and will sign then .
It should be remembered that a lot of young players were on loan and the non league season finished a week earlier than our league.

Byrne is back in the gym already doing conditioning work . As someone said above he was wearing his Gills kit so read what you will into that.

It could be Byrne is waiting to find out if he is assured of a place before he signs .At present I would think he would be fighting for his place if Bingham is fit .If Lovell brings in another midfielder with a pedigree he is likely to have to fight for a place .I would imagine he is the type that would hate not playing regularly. Nugent is likely to leave for that very reason .

No one should be assured of a place.

If that's the case he can go now. Fight for it and earn it. Competition is key.

Its a different story if he was likley to be a backup player, be honest and tell them that but if you are first XV player then no one should be guaranteed a start.

His contract probably expires on the 30th June, like most, so he's keeping his powder dry until then.
I'd expect that to be his 'deadline' day.
If not agreed by then, he will move on.

I would guess Lovell may already know who is likely to sign and who if any are moving on .Just because we don't know does not mean the player has not given at least a hint of his situation .It is possible that the stumbling block could be that Byrne may be after a longer deal than we want to offer .

No one should be assured of a place.

If that's the case he can go now. Fight for it and earn it. Competition is key.

Its a different story if he was likley to be a backup player, be honest and tell them that but if you are first XV player then no one should be guaranteed a start.

First XV? I reckon we’d win the league easy if we were allowed 15 players :wahey: