Byrne Not Returning | Vital Football

Byrne Not Returning

Best of luck to Byrner back on the Green Isle. Certainly can't question his commitment to the cause in a Gills shirt.

Pity because I liked Byrne, always gave his all and was playing his best football before his injury. I suspect he may have something lined up and with no guarantee of a contract here you can understand his departure. All the best to him, the scorer of one of my favourite ever goals at priestfield too. 👍🏻

"i was disappointed with how things went after my injury" - meaning?
Lack of support from the club for his rehab. Perhaps a slightly veiled pop at Evans/Scally or the fact there was no deal for him on the table yet.

Best of luck to Mark Byrne a fairly consistent performer over a few years.His lack of height the midfielders general lack of goals and dominance has probably had as much to do with his departure as anything else.Lets face facts our midfield has not been good enough since Dack left. It is time to try some new faces there.

Lack of support from the club for his rehab. Perhaps a slightly veiled pop at Evans/Scally or the fact there was no deal for him on the table yet.
Seems a strange to have a pop about no contract. I dont think anyone would seriously expect a deal made to a unfit player coming back from a career threatening injury. Especially since Evans made it clear he was invited back to training to vie for a new contract/prove his fitness.

If he was that fit and confident in his ability he'd be looking to get another contract in the football league.i suspect he has no confidence he's fit enough.

Aside from the contract comment, I do wonder from his comments if hes not happy with the medical treatment he's received. Whether that has anything to do with gfc or not, who knows.

Best of luck to Mark Byrne a fairly consistent performer over a few years.His lack of height the midfielders general lack of goals and dominance has probably had as much to do with his departure as anything else.Lets face facts our midfield has not been good enough since Dack left. It is time to try some new faces there.
Nope, i think those things have nothing to do with his departure. It's got more to do with the fact he's had a major injury and happens to be out of contract.

Nope, i think those things have nothing to do with his departure. It's got more to do with the fact he's had a major injury and happens to be out of contract.
Time might well tell if he plays a regular part going forward in the future then I doubt that was the only reason.

Seems a strange to have a pop about no contract. I dont think anyone would seriously expect a deal made to a unfit player coming back from a career threatening injury. Especially since Evans made it clear he was invited back to training to vie for a new contract/prove his fitness.

If he was that fit and confident in his ability he'd be looking to get another contract in the football league.i suspect he has no confidence he's fit enough.

Aside from the contract comment, I do wonder from his comments if hes not happy with the medical treatment he's received. Whether that has anything to do with gfc or not, who knows.

I wondered if it was contract or medical treatment, or perhaps both!

It's a long way back from an injury like that and I doubt he would have been 100% fit by October or November. We (the club) can't gamble on that unfortunately.

Best of luck to him.

One possibility is that the medical staff were not working during the lockdown that would have saved the club money. But not helped Byrne of course.

One possibility is that the medical staff were not working during the lockdown that would have saved the club money. But not helped Byrne of course.

Surely Byrne would have been back in Ireland recuperating so not sure our medical staff would have been involved that much until he returned to the club for preseason.

I read into it that he felt abandoned at a low point i.e was probably told no new contract for you at the point of his injury.

Good player for us, the goal against rovers a great memory. We move on and hopefully will see the best of willock this season.

A good committed servant to the club, but personally I think at this stage of his career, he’s probably going to struggle to be up to the level required, coming back from a bad injury. Being harsh, I think there are better options out there.

If he is planning to return to Ireland then I wonder if his knee injury was slightly worse than expected. If he saw himself as a league one player then he'd have looked for a league one side and failing that a league two. I'm not sure how good the Irish Premier League is but I can't imagine it is as highly regarded or as highly paid as the EFL would be.