Bye Bye Dembo | Page 2 | Vital Football

Bye Bye Dembo

Wow. I’m shocked at how many people want rid of him.

Him and Christian make us tick.

I would love him to stay, a two year extension to contract would be reasonable IMO. The length of the contract he wants is a problem, we need to be adding quality to squad. Every first team starter we let go means we need to spend £40m+ to replace, with the exception of Toby we should only consider selling fringe players.
I would still keep Toby and take the £25m next season, I honestly think that would send a positive message.

Wow. I’m shocked at how many people want rid of him.

Him and Christian make us tick.

I love him when he's playing well and thinking and acting positive and passing forward, regrettably, that's too infrequently in my book, and I suspect in Poch's too.

first we need better and there are not many better than him who we can afford. Dier and Wanyama are not better in my opinion. In our hardest period this season he was our best player (Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Juve)

I love him when he's playing well and thinking and acting positive and passing forward, regrettably, that's too infrequently in my book, and I suspect in Poch's too.
If he's not doing that Ex then he doesn't start, but how are we to move forward if we are simply replacing players. We need to add competition so Dembele becomes more consistent.

If he's not doing that Ex then he doesn't start, but how are we to move forward if we are simply replacing players. We need to add competition so Dembele becomes more consistent.

We have to replace him with someone who is potentially better. What with his injuries and his inconsistency, he is just too unreliable to build a consistent stable midfield around.

he just has too many off games for me, and always has done.

Watching him towards the end of the season was hard. Trust me his body is battered. He will only get worse now. The Premiership will finish him off early if he stays.

I would keep him for another season, even if to rotate.

The idea Forth can step into his shoes is mindblowing.

The real issue is I have no faith in the club properly replacing him

He is impossible to replace.

Poch likes playing a DM with a defensive minded CM partner. So we should be looking for a CM who is an all rounder. Athletic, strong, good passer and a good tackler. Doucoure ticks all of them boxes.

I would keep him for another season, even if to rotate.

The idea Forth can step into his shoes is mindblowing.

The real issue is I have no faith in the club properly replacing him

There isn't another player like Dembele. So that's a moot point.

Andre Gomes is a good shout and it's gone very quiet around him.

Whilst only at the U20 level, the only player that played a bit like him was Onomah. He's get the ball, shield it and carry it forward whilst dropping his shoulder and dummying players with ease. I still wonder whether Poch is playing a waiting game with Josh who has only just turned 21.

I'd keep Dembele and Josh in the squad until January and see what happens with Wanyama and Winks injuries. It would be Sissoko that is sacrificed first for me.

Whilst only at the U20 level, the only player that played a bit like him was Onomah. He's get the ball, shield it and carry it forward whilst dropping his shoulder and dummying players with ease. I still wonder whether Poch is playing a waiting game with Josh who has only just turned 21.

I'd keep Dembele and Josh in the squad until January and see what happens with Wanyama and Winks injuries. It would be Sissoko that is sacrificed first for me.

If we give Onomah a chance as a CM I wouldn't mind him getting a chance. But as an AM no thanks he just doesn't have the tools to play the position.

Just watched some of his highlights for Villa. He has the tools to be a decent CM. I could see him being useful when we counter attack. He has some pace when he runs and seems to be able to pass forward.

To be honest instead of buying an athletic CM of a similar age, we might as well give Josh a chance.

Andre Gomes is a good shout and it's gone very quiet around him.

I was told last week by someone who should know that we're close to a deal and both Levy, Poch and the rest of our acquisition team are lined up and pushing hard on this one - but we do have serious competition for his signature.....

I hope we can get him, he would be the ideal replacement for dembele - different type of player, much more forward thinking and would need time to settle, but getting him would be a real statement of our intent and will change the dynamic of how we play.

on Neves links:
‘I had a great year and I love playing in Wolverhampton, so I have no interest in going out, because it’s the best for me and for my future.’

Seemed fairly conclusive a couple weeks ago he wasn't interested in leaving. I know things can change but he said it in face of links with Liverpool and United who would both be offering CL and wages to boot so not sure that we'd be a more attractive proposition?

Last edited:
I was told last week by someone who should know that we're close to a deal and both Levy, Poch and the rest of our acquisition team are lined up and pushing hard on this one - but we do have serious competition for his signature.....

I hope we can get him, he would be the ideal replacement for dembele - different type of player, much more forward thinking and would need time to settle, but getting him would be a real statement of our intent and will change the dynamic of how we play.

We chased him all summer last year. We better not waste our time on him all summer this year. We need to move on with them tactics. Hardly ever works.

Give the lad a deadline, and give Barca an ultimatum. If they don't meet the demands move on.

We chased him all summer last year. We better not waste our time on him all summer this year. We need to move on with them tactics. Hardly ever works.

Give the lad a deadline, and give Barca an ultimatum. If they don't meet the demands move on.

last year barca wanted to hold onto him, this year, they have to sell - it's just a question of him making his decision or where he wants to be next...I'm led to beleive that a visit to England and our facilities is justa round the corner....fingers crossed, I'd love to see this done.