Bye Bye Dembo | Vital Football

Bye Bye Dembo

Spursex

Alert Team
Tottenham star Mousa Dembele will not sign a new contract before the World Cup, claims agent

LIVE | Stay on top of the latest transfer news and rumours in our live blog

In Pictures | Tottenham star Mousa Dembele
mousadembele1004.jpg

25dembele1004.jpg

27dembele1004.jpg

26dembele1004.jpg

Mousa Dembele will not sign a new contract with Tottenham before the World Cup, according to the Belgium international's agent.

Dembele's current deal expires in 12 months but he is considering his future at Spurs after starting just 21 of 38 League games. The inimitable midfielder turns 31 in July and he believes the physical demands of the Premier League are close to becoming too much.

He has been particularly frustrated at how long it has taken for him to return from injuries, including the ankle problem which ruled him out of Spurs' final three games of the season.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads

Mauricio Pochettino is a huge fan of Dembele, whom the Spurs manager has described as a "genius", but the club will reluctantly listen to offers for him in the summer, with interest from Italy and China.

Mason stood up to 'bad eggs' during Pochettino's first season

Dembele's agent Tom De Mul said: "Mousa has another one year contract with Tottenham. He has played a fantastic season and there is a lot going on around him – there is a lot of interest inside and outside of Europe, we are waiting for the World Cup and I hope he plays in Russia, because he deserves that after such a good season.

"Avoid a difficult last year like [Toby] Alderweireld? For the time being, Mousa does not sign."

I'll be gutted if he goes, hope he signs a deal for at least another season or 2.

He could be an important player for us for a few more years still - experience wise as well, obviously his injuries are a problem but even if we get 20-30 games a season from him it would be worth it.

I'll be gutted if he goes, hope he signs a deal for at least another season or 2.

He could be an important player for us for a few more years still - experience wise as well, obviously his injuries are a problem but even if we get 20-30 games a season from him it would be worth it.

Got to say, I completely disagree; he's a 1:5 sometimes a 1:10 effective player for us and always has been, I hate his backwards / sideways passing after dancing around the same two players three times - drives me nuts - last season admittedly he started actually making incisive forward passes - but jeezzz it's taken seasons to get him to do that.

Add in his long term injury issues and whilst I wish well, the best that can happen is we cash him in and get whatever we can ..

The time feels right to sell. He knows he is coming towards the end of his career in the Premier league. His body has took a battering.

I would rather he goes now with some dignity than be one of those players you have to wheel out.

unless silly money comes in I'd let him run his contract down while we bring someone else up to speed for his position. He's become massive for us in the big games

unless silly money comes in I'd let him run his contract down while we bring someone else up to speed for his position. He's become massive for us in the big games

Letting his contract run down and losing him for nothing would be poor asset management. The time has come to move on. The best managers have to be ruthless and know when to sell and find a replacement. I believe that time is now for Mousa.

Just don't see him having much value with his age and injury history. Rather we kept him for one more season and wheeled him out to boss the midfield in key clashes.

Eriksen has nowhere near his physicality or ball retention or interception rate. Eriksen is fantastic at lots of things Dembele is rubbish at but would get bullied against physical players if he was playing deeper.

If you are Poch, where do you take the risks on the fitness of your 5 midfielders though? Winks has a summer operation on his ankle and we don't know the success rate or the recovery time. Wanyama was sent home from the last round of internationals with the same left knee injury that kept him out from Aug to Dec. Whilst he has been in and around the squad since the turn of the year, we all can see he's not right. Then you have Dembele plodding along at 30 starts a season whilst this summer on World Cup duty for one of the better teams. That could have a negative effect on him just like it did when they took him to the last world cup with that shin injury.

It's a massive game of risk expecting all 3 of them to be relied upon for a fully loaded season ahead. Worth noting that we've been lucky with Dier who has been very dependable with injuries. Whilst his form has wavered a bit, his availability to his manager for selection has been spot on. Long let that continue, but let's not take the risk that he'll always be available.

As for Sissoko, he's probably feeling quite safe right now. Injury free and capitalising on the misfortunes of his squad mates. Ideally, we'd sell him and bring in someone more suited to our style of play. Nothing against the guy but he would be 5th choice and the first out the door. Never surprise me to see him again next season.

No point having a great quintet of midfielders on paper. As the old saying goes, the game is played on grass.

Looked like he'd righted himself, became a crucial player in the squad, and then it went tits up again.

Could be a great bit of biz selling him to a Chinese club.

We have his replacement in the squad already in Juan Foyth.

Thanks Moose, See ya.

Isn't Foyth a CB? don't see him as a replacement for Mousa.
If Dembo does leave this summer I would think we need a more experienced midfielder to step in and contribute immediately.

Foyth is currently delpoyed as a CB, but his best position maybe be in the deep midfield.

He could absolutely step in and contribute immediately at that position.

what are you basing that on? He looks fairly comfortable on the ball, but a big jump from that to being a ready made Dembele replacement!

what are you basing that on? He looks fairly comfortable on the ball, but a big jump from that to being a ready made Dembele replacement!
Not trying to answer for X , Fruend , but I also see him developing into a David Luiz type of player who can switch from defence to DM . With Poch,s guidance I can really see it happening . He definitely has the skill set and confidence to become an all time great for us . Poch hunted him relentlessly last year . At one point he thought he had lost him to PSG but never gave up . I think he has great things planned for this lad . Agree though
,it is a big jump to contemplate " overnight"

Moose isn't as good as Moose even recently once was, Foyth obviously is not at the level of Top Moose, yet. But he really well could be in a short time.

He has very direct tendencies on the ball. So he could be even better, maybe.

I expect we will finally seal the deal for that other guy we've been linked to for years anyway. And THAT would be a ready replacement.

Guys I love Moose but I think we need to cash in on him now and a great payday from China would please both parties.

Now we have to find a solid DM and place Eriksen in central AM and let him drive the show going forward.

See ya Moose,you'll be missed! For me, Dembele was not deployed in his best position (which isn't DM). I never forget that Man U - Fulham game at OT some season ago when Dembo absolutely bossed the midfield (surprised the Devils didn't buy him the very next day). I believe that's the Dembele we thought we bought (just like the World Cup version of Sissoko was who we thought e bought (after turning our nose up at the equally priced, but far better Mane).

Dembele did well for us, just not to the level we thought we'd get..and then there's the hip and the ankles...and his age. Make no mistake, I believe he has some brilliant games in him, just not consistently. So who takes Dembo's place. Juan Foyth, as some have suggested...yes, maybe as a DM (deep laying), but he wont offer anywhere near the options that Dembele has going forward. Eriksen? Definitely going forward, I'd as far as to say Eriksen is why Dembele plays DM, he's our rightful No. 10...but you won't get much from Chris on the defensive side of the ball...so that's two players to replace the scope of what one has been giving us!

Who else do we have our eye on? Pulisic? Something tells me that if he's as good as advertised, we'll probably not be able to afford him (and forget Bale for the same reason...anyone ant Modric back while we're at it?)

Good luck to Dembele were ever he lands (and it's looking like Italy according to some of the rags).