Bye bye Ben Nugent | Vital Football

Bye bye Ben Nugent

nibbles

Vital Football Hero
Lovell has confirmed he won’t be signing a new contract as unlikely to be in first XI.

Thought we could have a thread to share our favourite Nugent memories...

Erm...

I can totally understand why he is not staying .Limited opportunities in this Gillingham side when he does play it is often part of a three man defence which leaves him having to the get out to left back area too often .All in all I would like to wish him well I am sure he will have a good career perhaps at the same level as someone like Leon Legge as he becomes a regular somewhere . I can see him becoming a crowd favourite .A really good target for a league two manager in my view .

I wish him well. Would be a good player and crowd favourite at L2 as Chris says. Bit of a lump and lacking footballing skills for L1.

I can totally understand why he is not staying .Limited opportunities in this Gillingham side when he does play it is often part of a three man defence which leaves him having to the get out to left back area too often .All in all I would like to wish him well I am sure he will have a good career perhaps at the same level as someone like Leon Legge as he becomes a regular somewhere . I can see him becoming a crowd favourite .A really good target for a league two manager in my view .
On that basis - why was he offered a new deal to begin with? If he'd accepted the deal we'd be paying a player that was 4th choice and lucky to even get on the bench!

On that basis - why was he offered a new deal to begin with? If he'd accepted the deal we'd be paying a player that was 4th choice and lucky to even get on the bench!
What Nugent did offer was he was big strong and left footed .None of our other defenders offered what Ben did .I can see why Lovell offered a deal .There are very few left footed centre backs available .Not that gutted he has gone but was Lovell wrong to offer a extended deal ? Personally I don't think he was .But it is a question of who we get to replace him .

Should a 4th choice centreback not get paid then?

Agree, there`s no need to bring religion into this thread......

Seriously though, SL has made another good decision IMHO. Nugent had some decent games for us but lacked speed when it really mattered. Gills` much needed extra pace is a requisite for the defence as well as elsewhere in the team.

At first, Nugent looked like he was on a different planet and his distribution wasn't good at all but with a few games under his belt due to injuries, he improved, which goes to show that regular reserve team football could make a difference.

At first, Nugent looked like he was on a different planet and his distribution wasn't good at all but with a few games under his belt due to injuries, he improved, which goes to show that regular reserve team football could make a difference.
Agreed with so many young professionals it is vital we have the reserve team up and running again .

I liked Nugent- a no frills centre half, reminded me of Garry Richards.

I liked the way he wasn't shy about telling Wilkinson to "stop effing moaning" when he needed a kick up the posterior.

With regard to him leaving because he wasn't guaranteed starting place- none of our squad should be guaranteed a place, they should all have to compete for a spot.

I can’t imagine Nugent wanted guarantees of being in the first XI but would have had an honest chat with Lovell about how much he’d be likely to feature. If he’s fourth / fifth choice and we’re likely to play with four at the back (please) then probably not very often.

He was never really behind Lacey so finished the season third choice. Lovell has said everyone start equal .Nugent himself would know his limitations. He will also known that in league two his ability will be of real value. It is possible a league two side could outbid us especially on the length of any deal .

What i was trying to say was why spend money on somebody who will be 4th or 5th choice when you could spend a little bit more money (with Nugent's wages added) to bring in a player to push Zak and Ehmer a bit harder for a starting place.

What i was trying to say was why spend money on somebody who will be 4th or 5th choice when you could spend a little bit more money (with Nugent's wages added) to bring in a player to push Zak and Ehmer a bit harder for a starting place.

I think Lovell can best answer that question given he actually knows what the budget is to a certain extent.

It's all to do with budget, wx. Lovell will clearly have made decisions about where best he wants to spend his budget and where he feels he'll get the bigger benefit from focusing funds.