Bury | Page 66 | Vital Football

Bury

Yes Plymouth were not good enough to stay up and that is irrelevant. Every club in League two last year though was affected in some way by Bury having a team they couldn't afford. If Bury had been forced to sell Mayor and others in January or at the start of the season another club may have been relegated, others in playoffs etc. No one will benefit from Burys demise but plenty of clubs potentially lost out because of them last season.

I wouldn't disagree with you but my point was to do with a specific point of whether Plymouth or Mansfield could take action against the EFL because of what has happened to Bury.

I wouldn't disagree with you but my point was to do with a specific point of whether Plymouth or Mansfield could take action against the EFL because of what has happened to Bury.

And also worth pointing out that in the Conference, on many occasions, teams were reprieved from relegation due to another club being thrown out/demoted due to financial reasons.

Also, there have been a number of occasions when a club was reprieved of relegation into the Conference when the Conference champions could not meet Football League ground criteria.

So it's a perfectly reasonable question to ask whether Plymouth or Mansfield could have legitimate questions about how the EFL have handled this (or rather failed to handle this).

Mansfield have no claim whatsoever - I don’t know why it keeps being mentioned.
Plymouth, on the other hand, might consider that, had this been dealt with properly by the EFL, then they may have retained L1 status. But then, do Notts County retain their league status? A whole can of worms.
While the whole sorry saga looks a complete shambles, in reality I’m not sure that the EFL could have done much differently and remain on a solid legal footing. What a farce.

And also worth pointing out that in the Conference, on many occasions, teams were reprieved from relegation due to another club being thrown out/demoted due to financial reasons.

Also, there have been a number of occasions when a club was reprieved of relegation into the Conference when the Conference champions could not meet Football League ground criteria.

So it's a perfectly reasonable question to ask whether Plymouth or Mansfield could have legitimate questions about how the EFL have handled this (or rather failed to handle this).
Aldershot are currently an example of this

A couple of points.

1) I think in previous posts we have discussed EFL rules that stated if a business goes bust at various dates then alternate promotions/relegations/non-promotions/non-relegations can be implemented, but past certain dates they cannot. I think that in the case of both Bury and Bolton they were subject to the threat of action, but that it had not actually taken place. Hence the prolonged zombie status of both clubs and the inability of the EFL to do too much.

2) If (and it is a big if, since I don't see any proof anywhere) Dale bought the debt at a knockdown price, he is invested in Bury to the tune of £1 plus whatever he paid for the debt. If he is gambling on being bought out then he will want to cover the £1 plus 'the price pad for debt price', plus whatever else he feels it has cost him during his tenure (given that he seems to have no affinity for Bury as a club or an altruistic bone in his body so he won't want to donate to the club).

Now if no-one buys the club, and that means that Bury are expelled from the EFL, then Dale could shut it down, but if he wants to keep the assets he will have to pay the terms of the CVA out, otherwise Bury will have to enter administration and the assets are available for open discussion/bidding with the administrators and there is no guarantee he will be able to win the bid. This comes down to whether Dale thinks the value of the assets are worth more than the cost of paying out the CVA. Personally, I doubt it, as the land will be tied up for years in legal wrangles about whether it can be used for any other purpose than a Bury football club, but Dale may think otherwise.

If a buyer comes forward, all will depend on the terms/offer. Bidders are likely to want to save the EFL status of Bury, but will this desire extend to wanting/being able to buy the debt and fund the future of the football club to the EFL's satisfaction in the time left to actually play any games. Again, I doubt it. So the stand off, or gamble, continues until someone blinks.

Personally, I think the EFL will blink first and Bury will go to the wall. Gigg Lane will become a ghost town for years to come and a Phoenix club will start up in the locality and morph into a new Bury, with the desire to return to Gigg Lane, which may or may not be possible.

Lots of ifs and buts, but basically I think it is time to shoot the horse and put everyone out of their misery. Then leave it to the courts and police to decide who gets what and whether there was any criminality, or just arrogance and stupidity involved.

But what do I know?

Just think!?. If the EFL had sobered up quicker after their end of season 'bash', or returned from their extended overseas trips on various 'jollies' then they could have sorted all this out!. It wouldn't surprise me if Laurel & Hardy are running the ship!.......' this is another fine mess you've gotten us into!'

Last edited:
He kept saying the PFA had payed 50% of Dawsons wages, so he hasn't payed him anything!. Is that a PFA loan to Dawson?.
Has Mr Dawson contacted QuickQuid?!

Steve Dale is somebody I would love to interview. He is a mouth watering combination of somebody who employs many diversionary tactics or masks (nice guy, angry, stone waller, poor me, fogger and overt manipulator) but has clearly either never been on a press course or is just crap at it. That number of quick fire masks suggests a complex character and requires a well trained interviewer to retain control and adapt otherwise the process quickly breaks down like it did in this case - not that the click bait Talk Sport would have minded that. He responds instinctively rather than thinking through his strategy. As car crash as it was it was a still a shame he failed to answer the critical question about how he intends to guarantee Bury survival ending on a bit of 'fogging' when his bluff was called. I can imagine his solicitor has kept him on a very short leash over the course of the winding up hearings.

Steve Dale is somebody I would love to interview. He is a mouth watering combination of somebody who employs many diversionary tactics or masks (nice guy, angry, stone waller, poor me, fogger and overt manipulator) but has clearly either never been on a press course or is just crap at it. That number of quick fire masks suggests a complex character and requires a well trained interviewer to retain control and adapt otherwise the process quickly breaks down like it did in this case - not that the click bait Talk Sport would have minded that. He responds instinctively rather than thinking through his strategy. As car crash as it was it was a still a shame he failed to answer the critical question about how he intends to guarantee Bury survival ending on a bit of 'fogging' when his bluff was called. I can imagine his solicitor has kept him on a very short leash over the course of the winding up hearings.

"Complex character"? He sounds like a sociopath. Still, I suppose they can be "complex".

He rolled out the usual suspects.......
Not sleeping
Abuse
Not eating...blah blah blah...
What about all those poor sods working at Bury, if still on the books?!