Bury | Page 78 | Vital Football

Bury

I agree with you on that one. But if it saves Bury , that all that matters

I would agree, except this circus seems to have been going on longer than Brexit and with fewer signs of any agreement. I've lost interest in whether they survive or not, which isn't right either.

I don't like to keep harping on about what happens elsewhere, but last season when the Spanish club Reus were unable to pay their players the League expelled them, allowing them to be demoted and starting this season in the next level down.

In July, when Reus were unable to show the league that they had resolved their financial problems, they were demoted again and another club were allowed to take their place.

Why are the EFL unable to implement rules like these, which even the Spanish are capable of?

I can see the EFL granting another extension of 2-3 weeks or so. Apart from sorting out the finances and logistics of running a club, do they even have a full team? Their official site only lists 8 players
They only have two members of staff left, apparently. No management, no logistics, nothing. Even if the EFL does permit them to start the season, they cannot possibly do so for some time.

They've been talking for 10 weeks!
What a load of bull!
Alistair Campbell was not an mp, ,he was Blair's right hand man, recently chucked out of the labour party for publicly announcing he voted lib dem at the European elections.

I would agree, except this circus seems to have been going on longer than Brexit and with fewer signs of any agreement. I've lost interest in whether they survive or not, which isn't right either.

I don't like to keep harping on about what happens elsewhere, but last season when the Spanish club Reus were unable to pay their players the League expelled them, allowing them to be demoted and starting this season in the next level down.

In July, when Reus were unable to show the league that they had resolved their financial problems, they were demoted again and another club were allowed to take their place.

Why are the EFL unable to implement rules like these, which even the Spanish are capable of?

I also agree with you that it has been dragging on which is not good . I'm speaking as someone who has connections in Bury , worked, drank etc etc in Bury . People do love their club as people lovd LCFC. What happened in Spain is up to them. I'd rather enjoy my time in other ways than delving into the Spanish league or any other league for that matter , but everyone is different.

Imagine if tables were turned , would supporters of LCFC want extensions???? Pretty sure some would . Then again ifs all down to obes opinion . For me I hope they survive , and gave a good future

1st rickety EFL old person...' well then! What shall we do?'
2nd rickerty old person, dust falls from remaining hair, ' not a clue!'
3rd rickerty old person, ' I know, let them off this season, they can start again next season as if nothing has happened!
1st & 2nd ROP's ' super idea, were off on holiday again now, crisis averted'.
All shuffle towards exit but get lost in room!

What happened in Spain is up to them. I'd rather enjoy my time in other ways than delving into the Spanish league or any other league for that matter , but everyone is different.

I have a reason for that, which some people might know.

However, if you don't want to learn better ways of doing things to help prevent fans losing their clubs.......

....carry on enjoying your time in other ways.

I have a reason for that, which some people might know.

However, if you don't want to learn better ways of doing things to help prevent fans losing their clubs.......

....carry on enjoying your time in other ways.

Oh I will ,enjoy myself. Lifes to short not to .
Have a good one

Last edited:
According to the BBC the consortium has been in discussions with Dale and the EFL for 10 weeks. Draw your own conclusions.

So 10 weeks??
And I take it that a sale hasn't actually gone through despite Dale's declarations?
Seems these possible buyers are still assessing things.

And what's happening with points deductions and fines? Why have the EFL not been taking copious amounts of points off Bury for all these matches that have failed ti play? Plus any fines etc to compensate all the other clubs affected?

And are the EFL deliberately delaying any further penalties until sale has finally gone through just to make the club marginally more attractive? A minus 12 points starting position may look retrievable, but a minus 30 points or more would look certain relegation.
(The same could be true of why no more sanctions yet on Bolton).

And how much longer do Bury get given now? What if this consortium decide to walk away? Do the EFL then immediately expel them or would the deadline clock start all over again?

Sounds like last chance saloon this, and don't be surprised if the consortium's forensic examination of the accounts makes them scarper sharpish.

They have had ten weeks to check the accounts

Apparently so. And still hadn't done the deal.
So a Saturday, a Sunday and a Bank Holiday Monday to pass by. And then one more working day for any lawyers... (or do they work on rest days too, and maybe charge an even more extortionate rate).

This also shows that Dale's declarations to the media last night that the club had been sold were most definitely more lies.

The Smurthwaite interview is quite revealing,

Smurthwaite said: "The EFL knows I have the resources and experience to buy Bury and get it back on its feet.

"That would require an investment of £4.5million to settle the club's debts and fund the team this season. But it would also need the lender that has a £3.6m charge on the ground to accept what the land is really worth, about £1.5m.

"If Stewart Dale accepted that neither he nor any of his associates get anything from the CVA, or any other payment, then l am willing to step in. They are the two conditions of my offer."

"Smurthwaite explained that Dale told him he wants at least £1million for his share of the club debt that he and his business partners control."

"Even the Spanish"

So what has happened to Reus? It doesn't seem to me that the actions of the Spanish league solved their problems. In fact, they only made them worse.

A quick bit of digging shows that the LFA was accused of abusing its powers by sanctioning the release of players, prevented players who had signed from playing, and refused to listen to appeals despite Reus having found a new buyer a week before their punishment was confirmed. They were banned from the professional leagues for three years, and fined e250k for their trouble, rendering them in more debt with no way to provide an attractive product to the fans, the owners or players.

The LFA essentially liquidated the club's assets, fined them, stripped them of professional status and demoted them two steps, seriously damaging their income. All for about £4.5m of debt. The club is preparing to start its season in the fourth step but is essentially finished.

That, I would suggest, is not the way to deal with a club in debt.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Even the Spanish"

So what has happened to Reus? It doesn't seem to me that the actions of the Spanish league solved their problems. In fact, they only made them worse.

A quick bit of digging shows that the LFA was accused of abusing its powers by sanctioning the release of players, prevented players who had signed from playing, and refused to listen to appeals despite Reus having found a new buyer a week before their punishment was confirmed. They were banned from the professional leagues for three years, and fined e250k for their trouble, rendering them in more debt with no way to provide an attractive product to the fans, the owners or players.

The LFA essentially liquidated the club's assets, fined them, stripped them of professional status and demoted them two steps, seriously damaging their income. All for about £4.5m of debt. The club is preparing to start its season in the fourth step but is essentially finished.

That, I would suggest, is not the way to deal with a club in debt.

I disagree. They were given strict spending limits in the 2nd Division and still were unable to meet them. All their players became free agents last January.

Proper punishment is the only way to deter other clubs from failing to meet their financial obligations.

And yes "even the Spanish" as that system is riddled with favouritism and unfathomable, autocratic decisions. Yet it's still streets ahead of the EFL.