Bury (h): What 3 Things Did We Learn? | Vital Football

Bury (h): What 3 Things Did We Learn?

1) We have not worked out our best formation yet.....despite being top of the league.

2) McCartan is an absolute gem of a player.

3) we don't do much chanting when we are sweating like mad.

McCartan should start as our number ten.
We should never play 433 at home.
Akinde or Green to partner our number ten

1. For me, I think we spent our pre-season games trying out too many trialists, rather than getting the team to play together. We still haven't gelled and not playing like a team. I know we have 10 points out of 12 on the board, but we've been lucky. 2.That said I think we have an exciting squad. Plenty of individual quality, that has got us over the line. Just about all of the squad have had game time, lots of rotation, which is going to happen at the start of the season. A good thing. But soon will be time to stabilise the first team selection and formation. 3. I thought McCartan with a couple of his touches, showed he was a class above what you see at this level. if he continues like this, then he would be a good permanent signing.

1. For me, I think we spent our pre-season games trying out too many trialists, rather than getting the team to play together. We still haven't gelled and not playing like a team. I know we have 10 points out of 12 on the board, but we've been lucky. 2.That said I think we have an exciting squad. Plenty of individual quality, that has got us over the line. Just about all of the squad have had game time, lots of rotation, which is going to happen at the start of the season. A good thing. But soon will be time to stabilise the first team selection and formation. 3. I thought McCartan with a couple of his touches, showed he was a class above what you see at this level. if he continues like this, then he would be a good permanent signing.
Signed by Bradford for@£200k.I expect they would want a good chunk of it back but if a player wants a move somewhere then he usually gets it and will be cheaper.

1. Never make so many changes from a starting 11 again, was it seven ?
2. Pett to be one of the first names on the team sheet.

3. We never give up ( apart from Crewe last season )

Bostwick and Shackell playing together at the back do not have the pace to deal with mobile opposition forwards. Until Wharton is fit then Wilson should partner Shackell with Bostwick returning to midfield where he can operate more effectively and fill the very large void that was evident in front of the back four.

Tom Pett has to start. A midfield trio of Bostwick, O'Connor and Frecklington have many admirable strengths, pace is not one of them; it is not realistic or fair to expect the exciting prospect of Chapman to take on the responsibility of a midfield linch pin at this stage of his career as he needs to be nurtured in safer game situations. Pett looked assured, confident with the ball and consistently made great decisions. He doesn't have to play as an attacking midfielder as he was clearly very comfortable taking the ball in deeper positions often with little space to work in. By playing deeper he is also able to provide some pace, energy and press to complement the other qualities that the aforementioned players have. Pett looked every part the playmaker and is probably our most complete midfielder on last night's evidence.

There were glimpses of where we are going with our play. Clearly the long diagonal is something that will be used sparingly this season rather than the go to for most of last season. Even when we were behind in the game and we were struggling to get on terms there was no panic to be seen. It was great to see City recycling the ball with passages of play deep in the game where we were happy to pass through midfield and switch play looking for a different angle of attack. Certainly the formation change helped but it was key that some urgency and tempo was added to the passing game in the second half - conspicuous by it's absence in the first.