Burnley takeover | Vital Football

Burnley takeover

Scharnerarma

Vital Youth Team
Being reported by the BBC that Burnley are subject to a £200mil takeover by an Egyptian bloke and the brief ex-Wigan and recently unbanned to own a club, Chris Farnell.

Just goes to show how far gone the game is. £200mil for Burnley. For a club that is one bad transfer window and/or their manager leaving for them to be a Championship club again. A club with no real marketability, an old stadium and a fan base that's as likely to increase as ours is, albeit a fanbase that averaged 20k per game in the prem (16k in the championship).

Let's put that in perspective - you can buy us for what, £10/15mil all in, including proof of funding for two seasons. Then have potentially £185mil to invest in the club to try and get us into the prem (investment subject to FFP and wage caps of course). Obviously there's a massive gulf between them and us, but I fail to see how a club likely to be in the championship within the next couple of years is worth that much more than us, or why if Burnley can be offered for that much and Newcastle almost went for what, £300mil(?), we're such a hard sell?! It's utter madness. We're all in the same covid impacted situation, but considering we're so much cheaper, how are we not worth a punt?!

Utter, utter madness

Value of Burnley’s assets, particularly playing ones, is much greater than ours. That said it’s difficult to disagree with your assessment.

Been so much speculation about our takeover i maybe completely wrong about this, but were we not we also linked with an Egyptian? May well have been this chap. What is it with this Farnell bloke though, cannot he not take the hint no one wants him anywhere near their club. Maybe he’ll have more luck with the PL equivalent of the owners and directors test, buts let’s be honest anyone can pass the efl one so to fail that takes some doing.

If I wanted a Prem club and had the 200m to afford one I'd defo buy L1 or Championship club on the cheap then buy promotion as it would be much cheaper. I think you can lose about 30m over a rolling 3 years period before FFP is triggered and do all sorts of tricks like Derby did with Rooneys wages.

But to be fair unless I had money to burn for fun I'd never buy a club as a business investment as the chances of a return on investment to cover your costs is dreadful.

I'm not even sure I'd buy it as a fan as I think your passion becoming your job would end up jading you and you'd probably end up hating it by the time you saw behind the curtain and all the shit that comes with it.

If Burnley's owners do get offered £200m they should take it immediately.
Only 1 bad season (could be this one) and a championship meltdown to follow (it's happened before....!) and you are screwed

If I wanted a Prem club and had the 200m to afford one I'd defo buy L1 or Championship club on the cheap then buy promotion as it would be much cheaper. I think you can lose about 30m over a rolling 3 years period before FFP is triggered and do all sorts of tricks like Derby did with Rooneys wages.

But to be fair unless I had money to burn for fun I'd never buy a club as a business investment as the chances of a return on investment to cover your costs is dreadful.

I'm not even sure I'd buy it as a fan as I think your passion becoming your job would end up jading you and you'd probably end up hating it by the time you saw behind the curtain and all the shit that comes with it.

But think about the hundreds of millions you rake in through TV money these days as a Prem club. Makes that £200 million price tag look like nothing if you can keep the club up for at least a couple of years.

But think about the hundreds of millions you rake in through TV money these days as a Prem club. Makes that £200 million price tag look like nothing if you can keep the club up for at least a couple of years.

May well be right there Hudds but if that's the case how come Mike Ashley wants rid of 'we should have won the premier league by now Newcastle' with all the £££gazillions he must have made from advertising his tat Sports Direct....free advertising for years yet still wants shut...yes I know the Toon army hate him but he's still a hard-nosed businessman 🤔🤔

May well be right there Hudds but if that's the case how come Mike Ashley wants rid of 'we should have won the premier league by now Newcastle' with all the £££gazillions he must have made from advertising his tat Sports Direct....free advertising for years yet still wants shut...yes I know the Toon army hate him but he's still a hard-nosed businessman 🤔🤔

Think a combo of boredom and being universally hated by the fans for over 10 years now must be the main driving factor for him wanting out, because money definitely isn’t an issue.

By selling the club, he lifts a monumental personal burnden from his shoulders and pockets around £350 million in doing so. Not a bad deal I guess.

Brighton have also got/had the greed league money and are losing 3 million pound a month.

Surely can't be long before a prem / championship club go into administration......I really can't see how its sustainable bar perhaps Utd, Chelsea etc.

Surely can't be long before a prem / championship club go into administration......I really can't see how its sustainable bar perhaps Utd, Chelsea etc.
I wouldn't be crying my eyes out if that did happen but hopefully to one of the smug medium clubs like Wet Spam or Everton who just take their money as they pass go every year and win absolutely nowt year in year out.

I wouldn't be crying my eyes out if that did happen but hopefully to one of the smug medium clubs like Wet Spam or Everton who just take their money as they pass go every year and win absolutely nowt year in year out.

Me neither Jeff, in fact I'd like to see it happen then there would be an almighty fuss...

No Prem club will go into admin because every single one of them are owned by super rich owners. The vast majority are also in the green thanks to a nice nine figure sum of TV cash deposited into their accounts every year.

Mike Ashley wants rid because he's probably losing money hand over fist personally considering his primary business is in footfall retail, which was already slowly dying even before Covid hit. Selling Newcastle will probably be his final massive payday before he can go into a nice early retirement.

Incme is huge but outgoings to maintain survival are huge too. I believe for the 100m income Burnley just about broke even or made a minor profit. The cost to even just tread water in the Prem makes it hard to make money. Their wage bill is around 90m despite not having any really big names.