Burnley FC vs Tottenham Hotspur - PL Match Thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

Burnley FC vs Tottenham Hotspur - PL Match Thread

Result?

• Win

• Draw

• Lose

Results are only viewable after voting.
Here is just one point for starters. Hugo was vocal and decisive, he was authoritative on corners. Now where does that come from, who has he been watching ?
There were a couple of corners though which landed inside the 6-yard box but he stayed rooted to his line. What changed the strategy so quickly?

Lamela made a tackle which the ref didn't even see as a foul but the pundit (who was that fool?) was going ballistic that Lamela was reckless and high and the commentator joined in saying it was two footed. Neither man condemned Barnes in the first half.
My thoughts exactly at the time. I think it was Andy Hinchcliffe who was co-commentating.

It's nice to be going to work with a win!
Is Hoby also not doing the bizzo for us also. Under the radar but bossing it on the pitch. I used to love Gattuso in AC Milans pomp. Everyone crowded about Boban, Shevchenko and Inzagi etc. Not in the same class but he is having a similar effect on the team it seems.

Disappointed in that summary Ex, you can do better than that. What's your problem this morning ? Got a tight schedule with lots of meetings ?

Yes and still in recovery mode from small op.

But generally disappointed by pretty much everything about last night.

but we won..

You are not alone re. Davies. Time to move him inside as a LB. What you described has been the same since he joined us. Another one that is part of our steady Eddie collection!. Reggie would've asked a lot more questions of the Burnley defence.

I think Davies is Jose type of player and suited to being a bus driver/parker!
He'll prove to be useful over the course of the season. Disciplined is the term i'd use to describe him.

Stifle, control, score.

Sure beats the hell out of what we've witnessed over the previous 12 months.

tactically, we were pathetic; we were up against two banks of four who snuffed us out for most of the match and we saw little or no tactical attempt to change that - until we threatend to bring on Vini.

Our tactic of hoofing the ball up front over our midfield by our CB's produced nada but it was clear they were under orders to do just that.

They had far better clear cut attempts than us and created more because of the way we were set up.

As I said, we won, but apart from that we'd have scared no one last night, not even Burnley's b team.

I think we were fortunate to come away with a win, and I don't like having to rely on being fortunate.

Not IMO, we needed width delivery because Burnley were playing narrow.

the way you tactically beat a deep double block (and they were pressing better than us) is by running to the byline and stretching the defence with by coming inside or outside and running at the backs.

We didn't even try for most the game, which is why they dealt with our 'threat' so easily.

They were trying( rather successfully may i add ) to nullify our attacks from deep. We were patient in our approach & showed our class by punishing them at the end.

hmmm, our class was suffocated for most of the game by our own tactical inadequacy.

But we won, and won not playing well, so I'm grateful for that, but not sure we could call that class, but as I said, we won.

tactically, we were pathetic; we were up against two banks of four who snuffed us out for most of the match and we saw little or no tactical attempt to change that - until we threatend to bring on Vini.

Our tactic of hoffing the ball up front over our midfield by our CB's produced nada but it was clear they were under orders to do just that.

They had far better clear cut attempts than us and created more because of the way we were set up.

As I said, we won, but apart from that we'd have scared no one last night, not even Burnley's b team.

I think we were fortunate to come away with a win, and I don't like having to rely on being fortunate.
They certainly did their homework but failed to carry it through till the end. Our bench made a difference in a game where small margins made all the difference.

Our tactic of hoofing the ball up front over our midfield by our CB's produced nada but it was clear they were under orders to do just that.

It only takes a moment for us to punish teams. They can try to stifle us all they want, when we have the likes of Tanguy, Kane & Son we can turn a game on a sixpence with the speed of our transition.

It only takes a moment for us to punish teams. They can try to stifle us all they want, when we have the likes of Tanguy, Kane & Son we can turn a game on a sixpence with the speed of our transition.

We weren't creating much of anything Steve as they had us totally under control, we were fortunate we weren't 2 behind by the time we scored, and in my mind, that needless relying on small margins was totally unnecessary with the team we can bring to bear.

Afraid I'm getting seriously worried about Jose's tactical genuis at times and last night was one of them.

But, supoosedly a sign of a good team is when you win when you played badly and for me last night we played very poorly and got very fortunate.

Did Jose get the tactics right or did he show Burnley too much respect? Result says he did the performance says he didn't. Discuss....
I think that you raise an entirely valid point Greavesie. The end justifies the means, but did we show too much respect from the outset, maybe but not definitely. Despite their current league position I rate Burnley quite highly for their proven defensive capabilities. Jose does seem to form a pre match judgement as to the difficulty of the fixture, which dictates the style of play. It would have been interesting last night to see us get at them more from the off with Doherty, Reguilon, Bale and Son running at them, rather than the seeming reliance on long balls from Toby. Fine margins, the tactics used produced a result, but it could easily have gone the other way.

Lamela keeps justifying his place in the squad by delivering the quality and enthusiasm he can give. Jose has faith in him.

But he still hasn't curbed his stupid desire to go to ground and mistime tackles in places where tackles like that are simply not necessary - he somehow has to learn to stop this - mind you, I've been saying that for years now and he still hasn't - f**k knows what why the coaches haven't coached it out of him.

Very lucky not to be sent off - if the Burnley player had made a bigger meal of it, he probably would have forced he ref to do it. Don't care what anyone says, it was NOT a good tackle.

But he still hasn't curbed his stupid desire to go to ground and mistime tackles in places where tackles like that are simply not necessary - he somehow has to learn to stop this - mind you, I've been saying that for years now and he still hasn't - f**k knows what why the coaches haven't coached it out of him.

Very lucky not to be sent off - if the Burnley player had made a bigger meal of it, he probably would have forced he ref to do it. Don't care what anyone says, it was NOT a good tackle.
It's a combination of that fiery latin temperament & over exuberance. He's been given the benefit of the doubt on a number of occasions but his card is now well & truly marked.

Personally I'd take a boring 0-1 win over a 3-3 home draw, that's 11 games unbeaten in a really hectic schedule. I wonder if people are being unrealistic in expecting exciting attacking football in the middle of such a hectic schedule, right now I would settle for winning our next two games 1-0 before our tough November fixtures.
I would be quite happy keeping a couple of clean sheets, if that means curbing our attacking instincts so be it. We'll never win the league conceding the amount of goals we've been conceding, but we could winning 1-0