Burnley 1 City 1 - Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate Thread | Vital Football

Burnley 1 City 1 - Stats Link & Post Match Reaction & Debate Thread

Burnley 1-1 Man City

Pat Nevin

Ex-Chelsea winger on BBC Radio 5 live

That was a freakish miss from Sterling and in some ways it's a freakish result with the amount of chances that Man City had.

At the beginning of the season City would have put 3, 4 or 5 away but it wasn't to be today and Burnley earned the draw in the end.

Ben Mee, speaking to Sky Sports:

"I thought we got stronger as the game went on. They’re going to have a lot of the ball but we kept at it. We were very pleased with that.

"We’ve played a lot of the top teams in that period so we’re not too downhearted about recent results. This gives us a great boost."

"I was trying to get my shot on target, they’re hard to judge but he’s a good keeper. The header I also had felt like a missed opportunity. I could have done better with it."

Johann Berg Gudmundsson, speaking to Sky Sports:

“It was a great ball from Lowts and it was nice to get the goal. It was really good today. That was a credit to us. 1-1 is a great result for us.

“We know they like to play football from the back and it’s tough to press them. But we got better in the second half.”

Vincent Kompany, speaking to Sky Sports:

“We never doubted this league was competitive. We were warned for this kind of situation. We knew we would have to take our chances. We created some chances in an incredible manner but we probably ran out of steam because we kept trying and trying and trying, and in the end, we got punished. But we don’t have to feel sad because our performance was good.

“Raheem Sterling has been incredible for us. He’s scored more last-minute goals for us than anyone in this league. But today it didn’t quite happen. But I give top marks to everyone for the way they handled this game.

“There’s one thing you know when you play Burnley, they’re well-organised and well-disciplined. I thought we handled every game against Burnley so far well. Today they got what they fought for. They got a goal in the last 10 minutes and never stopped believing. We have to make sure we finish games a little earlier next time.”

Craven finishing today. A gigantic opportunity to take future pressure off squandered. We had Burnley on the rack and THAT miss flooded them with belief. I think City need a break and Pep's already alluded to it. A week now to dust ourselves off and come back firing against Leicester. Importantly, a week to get some heads straight and work on the injuries.

I agree with Pat Nevin unusually we missed our chances today and Burnley would have been left with nothing at Turf moor as we headed home, but not to be today and they get a deserved point

Pep Guardiola, speaking to Sky Sports:

"We played so good, we just missed the last moment to try to score the second one and playing away in the Premier League, in the last 10 minutes anything can happen.

"I'm so happy for the performance, it was outstanding overall.

On Sterling's miss: "Anything can happen in football - next game he is going to score.

"Ederson made two good saves, really good. But it was not the key point for dropping two points.

"Danilo scored a fantastic goal - he has the talent to score this kind of goal."

“Of course we are frustrated in terms of the result but the performance was outstanding against a Burnley side who are the most British of teams in terms of long balls and the way they play.

"But football is about goals. We needed to score the second, third and fourth when we had the chance. When you arrive in the last 15 minutes at Burnley 1-0, this is what can happen. I’m sad for the players because we played so well.

"What they have done this season, Burnley, is amazing. We controlled the game, but when we arrived in the last minutes at 1-0, there is danger."

I'll personally be much happier if we put Leicester away in style. The impact of the cup competitions and the need to put your chances away in the league is emphasised when you extract our last 6 PL results.

DWLWWD 7 points dropped from 18.

We have some very tough fixtures to come.

Sean Dyche, speaking to Sky Sports:

"A fantastic mentality. We're on a tough run at the minute - no wins in nine even with that result but that's a big result.

"It's a point we just about earned. I say just because Sterling had a great chance but Ederson also made a fantastic save.

"We've got a lot of injuries at the moment but we have the mentality to force the issue and scored a fine goal.

"We don't lack belief. We've got to add quality and understanding of the Premier League but the collective spirit here is brilliant and that's a powerful thing. It's a vital cog in what we do.

"We got stronger and stronger and were really taking the game on in the last 15 minutes.

"We're concentrating on the reality of what we are - just trying to build more and more, season by season."

A rest is much needed to recharge the batteries and get those loins girded for the final few months.

On the plus side - no injuries shipped today through horror tackles. Only utterly cynical & blatant obstructions to deal with.

I agree we looked jaded and have played a lot of football and I note Dyche's comments but really when he looks at it, they were lucky.

The next eight weeks are horribly difficult.
:002:
But we will get Jesus back sooner or later and how we've missed him.
We missed Merlin too today.

I like Gundogan but find his decision making frustrating at times. He seems to often use other players as decoys for just a fraction too long and either then tries a shot when it’s not really on or makes a pass which someone isn’t expecting - not quite early enough perhaps. Seems like he isn’t trying too hard, forcing things......

We appeared to slow down when we got to their box, where before we were quicker and the speed got us through, this maybe because of the enforced changes and that Players like Gundogan, Bernardo, Danilo and Kompany are not yet match fit, but it is also to Pep's credit that he too has seen this and has given them time off to rest.

The season is attritional at the best of times and our attrition rate has accelerated significantly since the Palace game at Christmas. There were always going to be some bumps in the road - and these bumps get more difficult to negotiate when his options are reduced - this is why Pep does his crust when we fail to take the chances we do carve out in tight games. His experience told him we might suffer and he was right.

I thought Pep gave in to his emotions by replacing Sterling for Diaz. I believe Sterling would have doubled his efforts to try and atone for his miss.
Diaz was ineffectual whilst he was on.
Kompany appeared very uncomfortable in the second half.