Burnley 0 - 1 Manchester City - JOTS, Stats Link & Post Match Reax | Vital Football

Burnley 0 - 1 Manchester City - JOTS, Stats Link & Post Match Reax

Johnny Baguette

Alert Team
12 Wins In A Row – City Shall Not Be Moved

Johnny On The Spot:#JOBDONE. Manchester City continue to trade blows with Liverpool, beating Burnley to make it 12 consecutive Premier League wins on the bounce…

The XI who scored twice against the Stretfords in midweek took to a dry Turf Moor surface in deepest Lancashire. An uneventful first half unfolded. City had immense difficulty getting the ball forward from the back thanks to some sloppy passes combined with Burnley’s eager foraging. In point of fact, the Blues passing radar was off throughout the opening quarter of an hour wherein they won a couple of corners which came to nothing in what has become by now a late season customary fashion.

City weren’t looking bright and lacking spark. 25 minutes into the game, the champions had not worked Heaton the Burnley ‘keeper at all. Just before the half hour Pep Guardiola’s men began to see more of the ball and started to find their quicksilver feet. Long balls still persisted from Burnley who in fairness are a side who play to their combative strengths. Notably, it’s not often that City face a side sporting two strikers. The first half fizzled out with City’s neat build-up play being continually suffocated when the ball got into the box, Burnley crowding out the danger time and again.

Patience had to be the key in a vital second half but it would only prove a virtue if City started moving the ball much quicker into feet and played to our strengths because Burnley were playing to theirs whilst we operated in a curiously low gear. The one dimensional Clarets had precious little else more to offer so a timely half time refocus was required. Not the least by Laporte, Sané and Zinchenko who were either falling out or spraying misplaced passes amongst themselves on the left. – It did not go unnoticed that Burnley’s ground staff again opted to avoid using sprinklers in a bid to nullify City’s zip.

A frenzied opening to the second period saw City exert sheer pressure upon the Burnley backline, yet still lacked their renowned rhythm. The Blues quest was not aided by referee Tierney turning down a stonewall penalty, a blatant handball by Barnes. The Blues had stepped it up undoubtedly but by the hour mark, crosses into the Burnley box were still being cleared by the home defence far too comfortably.

Enter Aguero for his 20th league goal of the season. It took Liverpool 62 minutes to score at Burnley last December and it took City 63 today, thanks to one of the scruffier goals our talisman will ever net, but the predatory Kun it was who had broken the deadlock with a goal-line scrambler. Officially, the ball was 29 mm over the line.

Pep moved swiftly to bolster the forward line, hooking the out of sorts Sané for Jesus who after some brilliant feet was denied off the line by a battling Mee who had an outstanding game for Sean Dyche’s strong-armed team. City peppered the Burnley backline repeatedly but a combination of profligacy and a massed, stubborn defence denied us more breathing space.

Few sides have been better in the past two seasons than Manchester City in game management situations. Stones replaced Kun for the final 10 minutes, the star striker taking a trademark eternity to wander off. City had tightened up, double shielding the defence and heading for the corner flag. Seeing winning positions out is a less heralded aspect of City’s armoury, but it is clearly borne out of the manager’s legendary attention to detail. Burnley, without a shot on target throughout the game mounted a late assault on the City rearguard but were unable to breach a reinforced defence.

Job done. Burnley away is by far tougher an assignment than going out of town to Old Trafford these days and City stuck to their task manfully to seal this crucial victory. Make no mistake, they had to work bloody hard for three points that takes this squad within 180 minutes of the title. The Blues now have 7 full days break to work on tired legs and the continual surfeit of injuries until welcoming Leicester to Manchester for the penultimate game of a gripping season.

JB’s Man of The Match: Bernardo Silva. Never say die. This wonderful footballer worked tirelessly, continually in the thick of the action.

Pep Guardiola speaking to Sky Sports:

"It's so important, we controlled very well Barnes and Wood, we conceded two or three free-kicks and we controlled our position, the pitch was so dry and difficult to move the ball about, and three more points with two games left - an important victory yes.

"We didn't concede one shot on target or one corner, we are a small team but we are smart, in the first half the pitch was so dry and it was slow but in the second half we knew we had to score our goal. We controlled the long ball and we had chances to score the second goal - in the last minutes anything can happen, always it is diffcult if you cannot close the game.

"In the first half we didn't create too much but of course it is what it is, we knew in these kind of games you play with intention and 92 points is incredible - it is in our hands, we must win our next two games and our next one against Leicester."

"We knew we just need to go forward, don't make fouls and concede as little as possible the fouls and corners. We had a penalty not given - which I think is a penalty. We could have won by more distance, I'm so happy for the victory and now we have a week to prepare and hopefully we arrive at Brighton with the chance to be champions.

Sergio Aguero speaking to Sky Sports: “I am so very happy for the win and now we have one week now to prepare for the next game.
“I think it was over the line! I am very happy with the goal because the first half we had chances. I was happy for the technology.
“When I scored I enjoyed the moment with my team-mates.”

Sean Dyche speaking to Match of the Day: "I'm really proud of the players, there could've been question marks after we were factually safe but we took the game on against a fantastic side.
"I told the players before, we can't take them on at their game so we had to make it as awkward and as uncomfortable as possible - almost like a cup tie mentality and we did that very well.
"It's fantastic for me to see Pep screaming get the ball in corner - that was pleasing for me. You have to find a way to win. We're not blessed with riches, its very difficult, but you can't get our points tally in the second half of the season without playing well so there's a pride in finding different ways to win. When you hear Pep screaming 'get it in the corner', that's quite amusing.
"Its a constant plan here. Relatively speaking it's been a fantastic season. I knew it'd be a tough start to the season - not as tough as it ended up being - but they delivered a magnificent second half of the season."

Ratboy ‘what City and Liverpool are doing is abnormal, what United and Chelsea are doing is normal’

Is Ratboy saying that we are ‘Not Really Here’ getting such a mass of points for two years running

Am awaiting dipper complaints about the accuracy of the Goal Decision System or that Burnley's posts and lines weren't wide enough or that the ball needs to actually touch the back of the net to count :rolleyes:

Am awaiting dipper complaints about the accuracy of the Goal Decision System or that Burnley's posts and lines weren't wide enough or that the ball needs to actually touch the back of the net to count :rolleyes:

It looks like it had to be something undisputed to win this because how no one saw the penalty is amazing. Some offsides on Gabriel Jesus were questionable, even I could lip read GJ asking ‘ how’