Buendia and Cantwell | Page 2 | Vital Football

Buendia and Cantwell

Hernandez has been used as a left winger during most of his time here - Martin is left footed - Fitzpatrick I don't think he is near the 1st team (I wouldn't mind seeing him being involved though)

Their primary foot is their right one according to a database I have consulted.
Because we have played with inverted wingers you have seen Argos play on the left and then try to come inside and shoot using his right (so much that he is too predictable).

I am 100% with Farke regarding Cantwell and EMI.

So let me tell you a story.......

'I placed discipline above all else and it might have cost us several titles. If I had to repeat things, I'd do precisely the same, because once you bid farewell to discipline you say goodbye to success and set the stage for anarchy, Shortly after Christmas in 2011, I discovered that three United players had gone out on the town on Boxing Day and were the worse for wear when they showed up for training the following morning.

So I ordered all of them to do extra training, and dropped the three of them from the team we fielded for the following game against Blackburn Rovers. We already had a large number of injuries, and although this decision weakened us further, I felt this was the correct thing to do. We lost the game to Blackburn 3 - 2, which cost us a precious three points and eventually we lost the League to Manchester City on goal difference.

Many years earlier in 1995, our decision to suspend Eric Cantona for the remainder of the season, following his fight with a fan after he got sent off at Crystal Palace, cost us both the League and FA Cup. At the time we suspended Eric (a suspension that, subsequently, was made even more severe by the FA) we were just a point off the top of the table and, had he played for the remainder of the season, I am positive we would have won by about ten points, instead of being pipped at the post by one point by Blackburn Rovers. In the long run principles are just more important than expediency.

If you can assemble a team of 11 talented players who concentrate intently during training sessions, take care of their diet and bodies, get enough sleep and show upon time, then you are almost halfway to winning a trophy. It is always astonishing how many clubs are incapable of doing this.'

(Source: page 35 and top of page 36, of Leading by Sir Alex Ferguson with Michael Moritz. This is a really interesting book to read and I recommend it. I can see why its a best seller. Paperback cost £9.99)

I find it amazing that some fans are questioning Farke's man management skills. If it was Fergie I suspect he would have done the same, you cant have anarchy in the squad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
Agreed. However I can question his selection of the replacement players who together with his usual failure to change tactics and make subs too late, lost us yet another game.

Agreed - after he has decided to leave the two out, who he then picks is another issue. IMHO. if you leave out these two then you need to start with Vrancic for his creativity. In adition we need flexibilty regarding tactics.

Last edited:
I am 100% with Farke regarding Cantwell and EMI.

So let me tell you a story.......

'I placed discipline above all else and it might have cost us several titles. If I had to repeat things, I'd do precisely the same, because once you bid farewell to discipline you say goodbye to success and set the stage for anarchy, Shortly after Christmas in 2011, I discovered that three United players had gone out on the town on Boxing Day and were the worse for wear when they showed up for training the following morning.

So I ordered all of them to do extra training, and dropped the three of them from the team we fielded for the following game against Blackburn Rovers. We already had a large number of injuries, and although this decision weakened us further, I felt this was the correct thing to do. We lost the game to Blackburn 3 - 2, which cost us a precious three points and eventually we lost the League to Manchester City on goal difference.

Many years earlier in 1995, our decision to suspend Eric Cantona for the remainder of the season, following his fight with a fan after he got sent off at Crystal Palace, cost us both the League and FA Cup. At the time we suspended Eric (a suspension that, subsequently, was made even more severe by the FA) we were just a point off the top of the table and, had he played for the remainder of the season, I am positive we would have won by about ten points, instead of being pipped at the post by one point by Blackburn Rovers. In the long run principles are just more important than expediency.

If you can assemble a team of 11 talented players who concentrate intently during training sessions, take care of their diet and bodies, get enough sleep and show upon time, then you are almost halfway to winning a trophy. It is always astonishing how many clubs are incapable of doing this.'

(Source: page 35 and top of page 36, of Leading by Sir Alex Ferguson with Michael Moritz. This is a really interesting book to read and I recommend it. I can see why its a best seller. Paperback cost £9.99)

I find it amazing that some fans are questioning Farke's man management skills. If it was Fergie I suspect he would have done the same, you cant have anarchy in the squad.

I dont know if Cantwell is an anarchist , but I do wish things had been handled better than by public character assassination.

Agreed - after he has decided to leave the two out, who he then picks is another issue. IMHO. if you leave out thse two then you need to start with Vrancic for his creativity. In adition we need flexibilty regarding tactics.
Agreed with that. DF went with a defensive set up which is fine but needed to be changed once they scored.

He had Idah - Hugill - Vrancic - Martin - Tettey to chose from once Emi and Cantwell were out. I don't know why but I just feel the quality is lacking in depth.

I don't know what is going on in training etc but I'd have had Vrancic in for McLean and had Vrancic in the more creative role. I think I would have had Tettey in for Rupp to give that defensive screening.

I dont know if Cantwell is an anarchist , but I do wish things had been handled better than by public character assassination.

I suspect DF has been trying to sort it behind closed doors but when senior pros are also having a go at Cantwell too, then the manager / head coach needs him out of the club pronto in order to maintain squad cohesion and performance.

I am more concerned about bringing EMI back into the fold.