SeasideEssexXile

Vital Football Legend
Very well written :clap:

Taken off the BST website:

Letter to Shaun Harvey Septemb
BST10/09/2018
Announcements
Dear Shaun,

I am sorry to find myself writing to you - yet again - about the low farce that continues to grip Blackpool Football Club, but my entire Trust Committee feel that there in no option but for me to do so.

I will not waste undue time re-hashing old history, but you are well aware that the Blackpool Supporters' Trust has tried to develop a meaningful dialogue with you over a period of well over a year. In that time we have asked you to :

•specifically consider whether the Owners & Directors Test (ODT) should be applied to the current owner of the club, in the light of ongoing dissatisfaction amongst supporters about the lack of a Premiership legacy

•take a forensic look at the internal management of the club, past and present, in the light of the damning High Court Judgement handed down by Marcus Smith on 6 November last year. We even designed a case review model for this purpose which I sent to you shortly before Christmas of last year

•during our meeting earlier this year, we repeatedly asked you to clarify what you saw as your role in enforcing high standards of governance amongst your Member clubs

•at the same meeting, we also asked you again to explain why you had been so swift to act against Mr Valeri Belokon on the basis of a very dubious conviction issued in Kyrgyzstan, but had been so dilatory in taking decisive action against the Oyston family, despite a wealth of legal evidence from the UK being available to you

We found your responses at the above meeting unconvincing to say the least, a feeling that has been reinforced by the inaction that has followed. At the time of writing, despite repeated pressing, you have :

•failed to take up our offer of a case review looking specifically at Blackpool

•shown no interest in exploring how such a model - or indeed any other model - could be used more generally to strengthen your hand in tackling failure

•offered no explanation of how the range of powers that ARE available might be used, by you, the FA or anyone else

•failed to keep the Trust informed of how the assurances you gave at our meeting - about not standing in the way of regime change at the club - might work in practice

•shown little interest or inclination to investigate the continuing, and increasingly dysfunctional manner in which the club operates. Evidence of this appears almost weekly in the regional and national press and on social media, and has done so for a long time

This situation is unsatisfactory enough in itself when you consider that the football club is now in a position where:

•it has no permanent manager

•it has a training ground which the previous manager felt unable to use

•it has an owner who seems more pre-occupied with trying to raise money to discharge his legal obligations than he does in providing strategic leadership to the club he professes to love

For a club which enjoyed a windfall from its year in the Premier League of around £87m, this is astonishing. Seen from the supporter perspective, the EFL's willingness to passively watch one of its most famous clubs sink into this kind of disrepair is unfathomable, as well as being reprehensible.

We as a Committee, are well aware that you see the EFL as being a form of trade association that operates primarily to generate revenue for its Members. But we would remind you - yet again - that you are one of the prime movers in running what is a national sporting institution. As such, your continuing unwillingness to do more than operate as a glorified shop steward for the seventy two people who happen to own the clubs who make up your Membership looks grossly inadequate.

We have in the last year or so, learned from bitter experience that the culture of your organisation is one that frowns upon swift or decisive intervention in the affairs of its Members. The lack of open communication that characterises your relationship with BST is doing grave harm not only to your reputation amongst our wider support but also your status as an organisation that we as a Trust feel able to do business with.

This is not a situation we enjoy being in, and we have felt duty bound to share with both the Football Supporters Federation (FSF) and Supporters Direct (SD) the depth of frustration that we currently feel. We want very much to see evidence that you actually care about not only OUR club, but also the concerns of ordinary football supporters up and down the country. Our sense at the moment is that such evidence is nowhere to be seen.

I am sorry to have to write in such strong terms but our club appears to be on the cusp of very profound changes that will have a huge impact upon its future prosperity. Sadly, we currently have very little confidence in the EFL as a potential ally in making sure that those changes are managed well, and with the good of the club at heart. In our view, you need to grasp this nettle, and grasp it now. I speak for everyone on my Committee when I say that if you do so you will find us an energetic and enterprising partner to work with.

I am copying this letter to the Chairman of the Football Association, to the Chair and Members of the DCMS Select Committee, all EFL Board Members, FSF, SD and will be publishing it on the BST website and in other such social media outlets as my Committee sees fit.

Yours sincerely

Christine

Christine Seddon
Chair
Blackpool Supporters' Trust

This letter articulates so much that is wrong with the EFL and demonstrates just how badly they have let the supporters of BFC down. Shaun Harvey, like the organisation he represents is so obviously not fit for purpose.

I still do not understand how/why the EFL allowed OO back after the Premier season. Does anyone else know?

I still do not understand how/why the EFL allowed OO back after the Premier season. Does anyone else know?

Nor me... or why they have not acted on Owen breaking the undertaking given to the EFL that he would not have anything to do with the running of the club following his release from prison.

He runs the lot and flaunts it.

BST showed, in their meeting with the EFL and their written submissions to them, that the EFL do not know or interpret their own rules correctly. That has caused them a difficulty and they probably don't know what to do - so they will do nothing until forced into a decision. They are probably hoping both O and VB disappear so the problem goes away!

Media picking up the story of tomorrow's co-ordinated protest(s)

Charlton and Blackpool fans will take their protests against their respective clubs’ owners directly to the English Football League on Friday in coordinated protests outside its London and Preston offices.
The Blackpool Supporters Trust has been leading local opposition to majority-owner Owen Oyston for several years, while the Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) is desperate to see the end of the controversial Belgian’s reign at The Valley.
CARD is asking London-based Blackpool fans, and supporters of any other clubs, to join them outside the EFL’s office on Blandford Street at 12.30pm, with the trust leading a similar protest at EFL House in Preston at 3pm.

In a statement, CARD said fans in general, and Charlton and Blackpool supporters in particular, are “extremely frustrated by the EFL’s apparent unwillingness to address serious issues of poor governance”.
CARD welcomed the EFL’s statement last week that the league was monitoring Charlton, and that it wanted to meet fans to discuss the crisis, but said “we need to see a great deal more urgency and focus”.
Accusing the league of “dragging its feet”, CARD noted that the League One club has no executive directors or chief financial officer and Duchatelet is embroiled in a dispute with staff over unpaid bonuses.
“What is happening at (Blackpool and Charlton) could impact anywhere, so we will welcome fans of all other clubs,” it said.
“We call upon the EFL to step up to its responsibility to oversee the broader and long-term health of football in England. We need more than a charter, we need a binding code of conduct with real mechanisms to ensure enforcement.
“The EFL has access to a range of sanctions, including fines and bans. Whether it is prepared to use them to rein in rogue owners is a question of competence and will.”
Duchatelet bought the Addicks in 2014, adding Charlton to a mini-empire of clubs in Belgium, Germany, Hungary and Spain.
But any plan to replicate the multi-national franchise model successfully employed by the owners of Manchester City or Watford soon fell apart amid relegation, a revolving-door recruitment policy and endless rows.
Fans have been protesting against his ownership since 2015 and a fortnight ago local MP Matthew Pennycook described the situation as “utterly shambolic”.
The Oyston family’s long hold over Blackpool has been the subject of fierce protest ever since it emerged they pocketed millions from the club’s season in the Premier League in 2010/11.
Relegated three times since then, Blackpool were promoted back to League One last year, despite many fans boycotting the club in an attempt to force the Oystons out.
Last November, a High Court judge ruled that the Oyston family owes minority shareholder Valeri Belokon more than £31million for illegally asset-stripping the club, which remains up for sale but stuck in limbo.
Asked about Friday’s protests, an EFL spokesman said: “We are aware of the planned demonstrations and acknowledge the right of peaceful protest.”

Would legal action against the EFL for failing in their duty of care be a possibility?

Good question, there seems more than enough evidence to suggest they are abusing their position. Money under false pretenses, but that's the norm these days I guess.