Bryne returns to training | Vital Football

Bryne returns to training

willjones89210

Vital Reserves Team
Yes Byrne I know my mistake

Paul cook has said today that Bryne is back in full training and in contention for Saturday while they are hoping to get Dan Burn back after the first international break. I thought Burn May be out until October so that’s good news. Now just need to find a free agent in defense and we will be looking ok back there.

Last edited:
Great news on Byrne. I suspect that we may see him into RB and James moved to CB in the upcoming weeks. Early impression is I don't think James has the attacking instincts to be a full back in our system but looks more of a natural centre half. He has played CB for Chelsea U23 plenty of times and i think we lose a lot going forward without Byrne so i can see both being accommodated soon.

Hmmm, the problem with Byrne is that he isn't actually a good full back. In this division he could very well be ruthlessly exposed.
Let's keep James there.

Hmmm, the problem with Byrne is that he isn't actually a good full back. In this division he could very well be ruthlessly exposed.
Let's keep James there.

I don't think it's fair to judge Byrne by what he did under Caldwell (he didn't play much under Joyce or Bartow that season) at this level. If we did that Nick Powell and Dan Burn would've been duds too.

Lets see how he does under Cook as we know he gets a lot more out of players than most. I really don't think James is going to stay a right back and Byrnes attacking instincts down that side were a huge part of our game last season we've missed so far so i think Byrne will get his chance.

Disagree with a couple of views there.

James hasnt had much of a chance yet to prove his attacking credentials. He has played 2 professional games. His deliveries also looked fairly good.

Byrne was solid defensively last season when needed, and handled Man City really well. He clearly prefers attacking but we saw that our system is set up to encourage that.

Both are great options. Byrne may also be a decent option as a winger. I'm not sure about James as a centre back. Seems a risk for such a young lad at such an unforgiving level. Would prefer us to work on improving Cipre and Dunkley as a pairing until at least Burn's return. Then take it from there.

I don't think there's any chance of moving to a back 3, Cook is set on his system and to be honest i think it's a very good system that doesn't need changing - just needs to settle at this level.

I've seen James in about 4 or 5 games now and i think he looks very solid at the back but i don't get the impression he's got that natural inkling to bomb forward in the way we need our full backs to wing backs. I'm not been convinced with his delivery to be honest so far, he's put in a couple of decent balls but he's kicked a fair few of his crosses straight out of play thus far. It's not writing the lad off in anyway or saying he's been poor at RB, he's been absolutely fine but i just look at him and everything he does and i get a striking impression he will end up a centre back rather than be a right back as his career goes forward. With Byrne being our POTY and the type of RB that makes our system tick and our problems at central defence i can just see both getting in the starting line up and one of the CB's drop out as the season goes on. Probably not for a little while yet as Byrne gets back to full fitness and we give Dunks and Kipre the chance to adapt - but i wouldn't rule out James being Big Dans replacement and we haven't realised it yet.

Maybe i'm wrong but James reminds me of when Bale first popped onto the scene as a left back at Southampton and while he did well in the position he was fielded looking at his natural attributes it seemed likely he would end playing in a different position than where he started.

Just a suggestion KDZ, I agree PC has a system and tends to stick to it although we have switched to three at the back in one or two games last season. It would however allow us to accommodate Byrne and James in the same team.

I don't think it's fair to judge Byrne by what he did under Caldwell (he didn't play much under Joyce or Bartow that season) at this level. If we did that Nick Powell and Dan Burn would've been duds too.

Lets see how he does under Cook as we know he gets a lot more out of players than most. I really don't think James is going to stay a right back and Byrnes attacking instincts down that side were a huge part of our game last season we've missed so far so i think Byrne will get his chance.
I'm not judging him from two seasons ago. Last season we didn't really have to defend much. But every time Byrne came up against a winger intent on beating him, beat him he did.
This season it will happen much more. He isn't a full back by any stretch of the imagination, he's clearly a winger.

Let's keep James there.

Why not take your own advice and wait until Byrne has actually played in this division before writing him off.

Byrne is much better going forward than James and I am sure that is what PC wants from his wing backs but both have flaws in their games which is why James is with us on loan and Byrne is not a premier league player.

Some of the posters on here have been scathing of Naismith with nothing to go off to make that assessment. Some have written him off.
I've seen Byrne enough to make my assessment of his ability as a full back. I am suggesting we have a better full back than Byrne and at the higher level it might be wise to stick with the better player in this case.
But writing Byrne off is not what I am doing at all, and I don't know why you feel the need to suggest I am.

What's people's views on Byrne being a better winger than Massey? I'd always thought the easiest way to accommodate James, Byrne, and Cook's preferred system would be to drop Massey