Bruno Vs Tyson | Vital Football

Bruno Vs Tyson

SE1_Gills

Vital 1st Team Regular
Has anyone else watched this?

I thought it was absolutely compelling.

I’m 39 so footage of the fights, seeing the Terry Wogan interviews and hearing Harry Carpenter’s voice took me back to being a kid.

Remember the fight live. Tyson was at the top of his game back then, and Bruno knocked him down. Idiot let Tyson get back up, something you should never do! lol

I think both of them got taken advantage of; pretty typical in boxing unfortunately.

My mum bumped into big Frank in a Kent supermarket- helped her get something down from a high shelf and called her “madam” 😂 . Oozes class.

I was behind Gary Mason in McDonalds, Gillingham once.
He would have given either Tyson or Bruno a run for their money. Sadly died in a traffic/cycling collision.

Has anyone else watched this?

I thought it was absolutely compelling.

I’m 39 so footage of the fights, seeing the Terry Wogan interviews and hearing Harry Carpenter’s voice took me back to being a kid.
Yep, I’ve watched it.
A very good and sympathetic documentary.

I was behind Gary Mason in McDonalds, Gillingham once.
He would have given either Tyson or Bruno a run for their money. Sadly died in a traffic/cycling collision.

I met both Gary and Frank as a kid when Frank turned up to open up Gary's jewelry shop in Gillingham. If I recall correctly it was one of the closest shops in the small row closest to The Black Lion sports centre. I knew who Frank was as he was the UK's great hope but had little idea of the history of Gary who I think at the time I assumed was a mate of Frank who boxed, or maybe a friend down the gym.

I met both Gary and Frank as a kid when Frank turned up to open up Gary's jewelry shop in Gillingham. If I recall correctly it was one of the closest shops in the small row closest to The Black Lion sports centre. I knew who Frank was as he was the UK's great hope but had little idea of the history of Gary who I think at the time I assumed was a mate of Frank who boxed, or maybe a friend down the gym.

Punch and Jewelry. It was next to or near the Hollywood bowl. He later opened one in the In Shops too. Lived in Walderslade when I lived there. Went to the same hairdressers as me in Lorswood and had a lively boxer dog (of course). Always happy to chat to locals, especially kids like myself. A tragedy what happened to him both with his career and then losing his life at a young age. He was probably more talented than Bruno and just on the verge of making it big and was probably winning the big fight with Lewis until it was stopped. Pretty much put an end to a career that would have surely seen him get a title shot and at that time, like Bruno, he may well have taken a title.

The documentary is very good and compelling viewing. When I was growing up, Bruno was one of my three sporting heroes - funnily enough, none of them were footballers, even though that was my main sport. It was always Bruno, Botham and Daley-Thompson that I wanted to be, not that I didn't idolise Tony Cas and Cochrane!

Bruno didn't knock Tyson down in the first fight, although he definitely wobbled him. The first fight was pretty much a peak Bruno, but unfortunately a peak Tyson also and no disgrace in the way he lost. Unfortunately, by the second fight, Bruno was well past it and made for uncomfortable viewing. Interesting documentary though.

I was on the M25 in Essex heading down to watch the Gills one Saturday in either '87 or 88 when a red Bentley passed me in the outside lane. Not much further on he was on the inside lane indicating to come off the motorway. I noticed the registration this time FRB1, looked across as I passed and there was big Frank in the driving seat!

I just remember being worried about Frank's safety.

Although he had sparred with Tyson before and they were sort of mates, Tyson seemed to change in to a savage once he was in the ring for an important fight and his punches always looked particularly vicious.

Frank never had that same killer touch and came across as a gentleman which seemed like a dangerous contrast.

I breathed a sigh of relief when I heard he was OK afterwards.

To go back a bit further, the biggest mismatch I ever saw was Ali v Richard Dunn.

I wasn't so afraid for Dunn though as Ali was much more controlled and knew he could win it in his sleep.

Strange was that frank was born in Jamaica and just a good boxer but the media loved him.
Lennox was born in london and was one of the greatest world heavyweights but the media never took to him.

I met him as a kid too when he opened up the esporta health club up medway valley by the cinema/bingo(at the time). Cant remember much about it at all, apart from that it was rammed full of people wanting to meet him/get his signature.

No idea if we still have his signature somewhere.

Strange was that frank was born in Jamaica and just a good boxer but the media loved him.
Lennox was born in london and was one of the greatest world heavyweights but the media never took to him.
The docu alludes to the negative attitude Frank suffered from some of the black community.

Remember watching the Bruno Tyson fight in the pub. It was early days for Sky and the boxing was scheduled to start around about 11.00pm. Most punters were geared up for this, but if I remember correctly the fight did not actually start until around about 4.30am. There was bodies everywhere in the pub, pissed as arseholes and fast asleep. Many of them slept through the fight.

Happy day, Oh to be back down the pub :cheers:

Remember watching the Bruno Tyson fight in the pub. It was early days for Sky and the boxing was scheduled to start around about 11.00pm. Most punters were geared up for this, but if I remember correctly the fight did not actually start until around about 4.30am. There was bodies everywhere in the pub, pissed as arseholes and fast asleep. Many of them slept through the fight.

Happy day, Oh to be back down the pub :cheers:
Haha yeah I remember a few nights staying up to watch the Boxing in America, not really realising it wouldn't be starting until 3/4am in most cases.

I watch the Superbowl every year, and am absolutely lagging by the time it comes to the end of it.