Brummies defeat | Vital Football

Brummies defeat

Kentbee

Vital Reserves Team
Well what can you say. As p***ed off as I have been for a long while.

A new formation which seemed to work OK and we created a load of chances but we are back to last season's habit of giving two goals a game to the opposition. In this division you just cannot keep trying to come back from behind, we are simply not good enough to do that.

Penalty was a fatal blow in the end, we shouldn't have lost the ball and I felt Bentley was slow coming out allowing Donaldson to play "clever" by putting it by him and attracting the foul. Uphill thereafter and they always had the confidence to see the game out.

I have no idea why Hoffman is even in the squad if DS is not going to bring him on when playing a formation that he is more suited to than anything else. Do we have to play the Palace lad or something as part of the deal as he offers nothing.

Yes we played very well at times an there was some delightful moves but we lack a cutting edge in the box and have nobody that can take a decent attempt from outside the box as Judge or Jota used to do.

The pressure is now well and truly on and somehow the management have to get us out of this slide. We are going to need 6 or 7 points from December to keep away from the relegation zone.

A very depressing defeat in my opinion, one that leaves me really doubting DS's ability to take the team forward. We've gone from pragmatic and gritty to wide open and kamikaze across the midfield and back line - why? Having witnessed Vibe's feeble effort at Ewood last week I couldn't believe he was starting on Sat, and he didn't disappoint his detractors. Poor interplay between Woods and Nico put Donaldson through for a soft pen - a gift. The midfield was lightweight and careless in their passing all day. Then we get going and pass up several good scoring chances, the Vibe miss criminal, you knew it wouldn't be our day. Into the 2nd half and Smith makes the 1st change, we immediately concede a soft 2nd. Game over and despite the rally Brum always has us where they wanted us. Add to this the fact that we have one player who can score a goal and that's it.

Smith is experimenting on the fly because he has no idea what the best 11 looks like, his changes don't help us and the substitutions never change games positively. Too many fringe players are not game ready and will have to be shipped out (Hoffmann, KK etc).

Some will say we were unlucky, maybe, but I feel we are a soft touch and that this was more comfortable for Brum than some may have seen it. I just don't know where our next win will come from, what happened if we lose the next 2?

Another slump, does DS have the tools to pull us out of it?

Thought every single player gave one hundred per cent in effort. You can't moan about that....but. Vibe, low on confidence missed that guilt edged chance. One back heel. Just one back heel into an empty net, but no. He has to take time and turn to try d place it in.

We hammered them for most of the match but once again fail to capitalise. Donaldson still goes down faster than a Russian Submarine (older posters will get that) and I still think that when a player pushes the ball past a keeper just to go down by dragging his leg, when the ball is rolling off due to a heavy touch, it should not be a penalty. It never used to be, but now you see it week in week out. I don't care if it's us that does it. It's dragging your leg and not being tripped. A stupid foul by Egan who was lucky not to get a second yellow put the pressure on us to give them the second goal. As for our disallowed "goal". Not like Hogan to be offside is it?

Their keeper should have been booked first half for time wasting. Thirty minutes in and wasting time. How embarrassing. Then the ref had a go at Bentley after saying nothing to their keeper. To be fair to their keeper, he made some great saves too and kept them in front. Their mom for me.

I didn't understand taking off Barbet who, even as a defender was creating many of our chances and attacks and hated that Sawyers was cheered off again when he gave so much. It seems he is the new target of the hate brigade no matter what, just like Harlee was last year.

Felt we deserved a win, but felt we deserved a draw last week. Feeling you deserve something doesn't get you points though and we have to turn this round fast. Just four points off relegation zone. FOUR points. (Cue "Remember where we were fifty years ago" excuses"). Smith now has to show his worth. We went through this last year. We can't do it every year, especially if we are as some claim, a top flight side in the next three years.

Glad you included the ......but Vibe in your post CB, nice fella and all, but nowhere near championship level in physique, pace, skill, desire - the lot. And yet they chant his name! Barbet was decent overall but totally switched off for their 2nd, he's not been involved enough and this is on DS I feel. Agree that Sawyers was pretty decent - on the highlights you'll see that most of our best moments came off his touches, he's taking heat for the lack of physicality and firepower in our midfield, when all of them are short of these qualities in their game. You could easy make a case for resting Yennaris or Woods - and i'm a Woods fan. Didn't hear any grief directed at RS when he went off myself.

I'm sick of the sight of Brum, same result every time.

Yep the "remember where we were" comments will come along with the "be careful what you wish for" - all true to a point. Most on here would be happy to stay up until we get to LR, but if the stated aim is to be top 6, or top half, and to build up the club and squad, then DS's situation may come into focus. We simply must end this run and get a win or two. If we're around 30 points at the halfway point then we should have enough. Although that's with Hogan sticking around which i'm starting to doubt.

Oh well got to stick with it and back the boys which I'll always do.

Well as for "remember where we were", this is pretty much in the same place as where we were last season. (Graph attached)

Attachments

• BFC Progress.jpg
    BFC Progress.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
Interesting, correct me if i'm wrong Spanish but this was after an awful start under MD, then recovery under LC? DS started OK then went on a dreadful run followed by a strong finish. I'm not sure we would get out of trouble this time around, especially without our only goal scorer. Next few games up to the turn are critical - I feel 30 points is needed.

Cheers for the graph, Spanish. More or less what I as getting at when I said we went through it last year. A bad run that had us looking over our shoulder. We can't keep doing it, sooner or later, it will catch up with you and that much needed win will get more and more elusive.
I was only going by Sean's comment to me, Rebel, that RS got cheered off. I heard some sound but wasn't sure. I think the whole defence switched off for their second (was Barbet still on? Thought he'd been subbed already for Mcreachran (sp) Might be wrong). But it was one of those nasty free kicks that are difficult to defend when taken as well as that.