Brummagem Boys | Vital Football

Brummagem Boys

D

Deleted member 313

There has been a tv series broadcast recently, Gangs of Britain, I think on the Crime and Investigation channel, fronted by Gary and Martin Kemp. Recently they did Birmingham. They talked about the Brummagem Boys who were a major organised crime gang of the 1920's whose territory stretched from Leeds to the south coast. Mainly betting rackets centred on race courses, the only places where betting was allowed in those days.

They were formed and led by a guy called Billy Kimber, who for a few decades was one of the big crime 'Godfathers' in the UK. The Tony Soprano of Brum. He was also my great grandfather! My mum had told me about this criminal in our family before, but I never realised just what a notorious and major figure he was. His main rival was Darby Sabini, a London gang boss with whom they had many turf wars. Kimber went to America for a while, acted as Charlie Chaplin's bodyguard and ended up killing some guy who owed him money. I think finally he fled to South Africa and 'disappeared'.

Anyone see the programme or have other info on the Brummagem Boys, or the Peaky Blinders - another major Birmingham gang? It's a fascinating part of our cities history actually. You can google him. Kimber was born in Aston, as was most of my mothers family, and the reason incidentally why I support the Villa, despite being born myself deep in Small Heath territory :)

There is a series coming on about the peeky blighters.
My nan used to speak about them, at the time I was only young so it didn't mean much I'm afraid

*edit nan not man!

Yes, the Peaky Blinders series in coming in the autumn. Weirdly, the producer is my best mate's girlfriend! She knew all about Kimber because of her research, she was amazed that I was a relative.

Here are a few of the lads, you can't see him very well here, but Kimber is back row, second from the left..

Attachments

• bk.jpg
    bk.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 0
I was also born and spent the first 20 years of my life in Aston.

One of the local rules I was told as a nipper growing up in Aston Park etc was if anyone steeped on your toe say sorry. If they did it again, knock them over - so not a lot has changed over the years!.

On reflection, these days you would just get shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peaky_Blinders

birmingham has seen a few gangster gangs in the past but they never get the celebrity treatment like the london gangs or those up north (bit like football really!!). used to know a few old guys who used to knock around with them, and since settled down our way. it is a bit of an eye opener in a way but they all say the same thing, no one got hurt who didnt deserve it.

My family lived in Brantley Road and Deykin Avenue. Grandad had the cobblers shop in Brantley Road and both nan and grandad worked as casual labour putting the divots back at VP back pre and post the 1st world War, so they were very much around in the peaky blighters era. I recall her saying that she never had any issues with them but you were aware they were around.
Grandad died in 1942 so unfortunately I never heard if he had any dealings with them.

Trekker - 21/6/2013 11:47

My family lived in Brantley Road and Deykin Avenue. Grandad had the cobblers shop in Brantley Road and both nan and grandad worked as casual labour putting the divots back at VP back pre and post the 1st world War, so they were very much around in the peaky blighters era. I recall her saying that she never had any issues with them but you were aware they were around.
Grandad died in 1942 so unfortunately I never heard if he had any dealings with them.

Trekker,

You may find this site of interest?

I did put it on here a few years ago and for anyone brought up in B6 or vicinity - it's a fascinating look back at the past through photos and peoples comments below each photo.

http://www.pbase.com/beppuu/old_bham&page=all

Trekker - 21/6/2013 11:47

Did you not chat about it when you were having a pint down the pub with him?

Having checked at the link from Thomas Holte (cheers mate) I looked to see what other sites might be worth a look. Now I dont know how to post the a link so you will have to type it in yourselves.
Aston-Brook-through-Aston-Manor
I even found a picture of the house I was born in on the site. Well worth a look.

I do know that the ex was mixed up with 1 of the 2 families in Brum in the 80's. On that I have said enough. I know limited because of the very nature of it all. What I know is too much

Same thing though as Badge has said: No one got hurt who didn't deserve it

No one got hurt who didn't deserve it.

What over romanticised claptrap. Londoners look back to the good old days where gangs kept everything in check as well. They reign by terror, strength in numbers and intimidation.

Kemp looked shocked and scared when Karl Chinn started talking!!!

I've gotta see this, I love dr Carl! Is it available on catchup/demand does anyone know?

I've heard plenty of stories about more recent goings on. Family members tell me that you never got any trouble in Fewtrell run pubs, and they saw off the Krays when they tried to venture north.

Overall I agree with fear though. Whilst I love hearing the stories and reading about gangland and mafia style organisations: it can never be a good thing for people to earn and operate in this way. And as for looking back with fondness like the cockneys seem to, will we look back one day with fondness for the burger bar boys and the Johnson crew? I doubt it,

Yeah, my dad knew the one Fewtrell quite well, used to serve them and so got invited t a few clubs.

Nice people to be friends with. Not nice people to not be friends with!

Carl is ace! I swear he could read the phone book and make it sound interesting! Will look out and let you know if I see it repeated. I watched first four in the series then got a bit bored of the Kemp brothers posing and acting tough!!

They may have had a territory stretching across the country but I have to say the Brummagem Boys sounded more like dim naughty school kids - beating up the wrong gang, then hanging around drinking in a nearby pub and got nicked by a single policeman! Doh! And I can tell you Billy Kimber was a real shit to his (my) family, not at all like Marlon Brando!

I've downloaded the gangs of Britain series but I couldn't watch more than one, the Kemp's are just so bad, trying to look hard and pouty, really cheap production.

Hello....I am writing a book about the Peaky Blinders, Billy Kimber etc. I would love to talk to you! My e-mail is info@cleverwriting.co.uk. Regards, David Meikle.

I charge an agent fee for all my members who talk outside of Vital Football.

You'll have seen the terms and conditions as you signed up to them.

Saurat is signed up in blood, a lifetime member...

Saurat actually took a vow of silence when joining, only ever 'talks' on Vital... we hang on his every word. No, sorry, we laugh at his every word.

I suppose I can loosen the contract for just a day or so though.

The Fear - 21/6/2013 21:21

No one got hurt who didn't deserve it.

What over romanticised claptrap. Londoners look back to the good old days where gangs kept everything in check as well. They reign by terror, strength in numbers and intimidation.

Kemp looked shocked and scared when Karl Chinn started talking!!!

Just repeating what the ex said JF

The Fear - 21/6/2013 21:35

Yeah, my dad knew the one Fewtrell quite well, used to serve them and so got invited t a few clubs.

Nice people to be friends with. Not nice people to not be friends with!

Carl is ace! I swear he could read the phone book and make it sound interesting! Will look out and let you know if I see it repeated. I watched first four in the series then got a bit bored of the Kemp brothers posing and acting tough!![/QUOTE

Yeah it is the Fewtrells the ex knew