Britain Is Safer Than It Has Been For 30 Years | Vital Football

Britain Is Safer Than It Has Been For 30 Years

BodyButter

Vital Football Legend
Well, England and Wales anyway.

It seems to be part of a long-term trend across the developed world. The Freakonomics guys thought it might be related to abortion.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/apr/25/uk-crime-falls-official-figures

Indeed! Figures can be easily manipulated, mind you, if they told me the sky was blue I would feel the need to check.

steff_the_villan - 25/4/2013 16:07

Indeed! Figures can be easily manipulated, mind you, if they told me the sky was blue I would feel the need to check.

Please don't mention Blue Sky on here Mr. !!! :22:

30 years ago everyone in the neighbourhood could leave their doors open without fear of being robbed or stabbed to death in their sleep by a psycho, I can't see people doing the same these days an expecting to be safe.

I understand people's skepticism. Stats are notorious liars but the trend is well documented. Rudy Giuliani claimed a lot of credit in the 90's for the decline in crime in New York but the trend was pretty consistent across the US and most of the developed world.

What people perceive and the reality of the situation are usually very different. Perceptions, feelings of safety or otherwise are related far more to sensationalised television reporting than to personal experience. A classic example of this was the financial crisis, yes there was the issue of bad debt but the firestorm spread through the world economy had little to do with real cash flow issues and everything to do with the fear stoked up by the media, they told us we would have a financial crash and being the creatures of caution that we are we let that influence us making it a self fulfilling prophecy.

More on the same story: http://m.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/28/crime-is-down-what-a-mystery

Pride of Lions - 24/5/2013 12:36

Well, it seems that the recent events in Woolwich shoots this stupid claim to bits.

Is anyone 100% safe these days?

People got murdered in the good old days too. The Yorkshire Ripper springs to mind. Jimmy Saville and all of his mates were doing their thing in the good old days too.

Just because of one horrific event, or several, it doesn't mean that crime can't be down.

Why do people only ever believe stats/news when it is bad?

As BB says, people did get murdered in the good old days.

And no WishyWashy, you couldn't leave your doors unlocked in the mid 1980's without fear of being robbed or stabbed, there was a manor recession, riots and an awful lot of crime.

I agree with VOTN, a lot of it is perception and now we have 24/7 news they have to fill everyone with horror every moment of every day

http://www.murderuk.com/misc_crime_stats.html

Murder stats for UK since the war.

Wonder how that compares per capita to other countries.

I expect a full run down by 12 noon today! :17:

Huge blip of over 1000 in 1982. I am assuming that terrorist murders are included in those figures.

The urban to rural difference is much bigger now. Nowadays crime is very much urban, rural living is expensive and pretty much totally safe, compared to the old days when poor people lived there and there was lots more crime.

You only have to watch heartbeat to see this is true.