Bristol City (H) | Page 5 | Vital Football

Bristol City (H)

There are none so blind as those that will not see.

This has been happening for months for some supporters TB, myself included.
The actual results are so demoralising that it does have a tendency to overshadow a lot of what actually went on during the game.

Saturday is a good example, during the first half my brother (who has only recently resurrected attending games after being absent for many years) said "they're playing we'll aren't they" to which there was general agreement form all around us, but on trudging off at the final whistle (Yes, we stayed until the end) all that was forgotten and replaced with anger and frustration.
I've rarely felt so depressed and resigned to the fact that relegation is inevitable as I was at 5pm Saturday and it put me in a mood for the rest of the weekend, which is the first time that's happened to me this season, up until now I've been able to shrug off the despondency quite quickly.
Unlike a few months ago, I now lay the bulk of the blame firmly at Cooks door with a much lesser share of the blame going to players and supporters.

As you said above re Moore, Garner or Geldhart - we probably have a decent attacking intent if played in the right combination, sadly unless PC stumbles across this then it isn't going to happen imo. Saturday was ok but only ok & up until we got into the final third. Our break out play is so slow & laboured that it's painful to watch & easy for opposing sides to get their defence sorted.

Once again I agree with you.

The point of my original post was that people were pushing the agenda that because we had lost 2-0 the football had been poor. It wasn't. It wasn't perfect, but it has shown improvement over the last few games.

With Naismith playing as a CB we have the ability to carry the ball out from the back and commit their midfield, giving our midfield more options, a position that was no doubt stumbled upon as you say.

In Morsy/Williams and Evans we have a combative midfield pairing capable of breaking play up and with, in particular in Evans' case, the ability to pass the ball.

Howells looks to be a decent addition and I think that linked with Windass, Gelhardt or Pilkington could provide us with the final ball into the box that we have been searching for.

The missing piece for me is a striker capable of hitting the back of the net.

We may have that striker on the books in Moore, who has not played for us since we switched from the dreadful long ball football being played to the more considered, on the deck, passing game that we have seen in the last seven or eight games. I hope that we are not throwing the baby out with the bath water if we allow Moore to leave before giving him the opportunity to play a few games when the ball is coming to him in a position where he is able to score rather than with his back to goal 30 yards away.

I don't believe that everything with the club is doom and gloom and can see the positives, whereas I think there are too many others only seeing the negatives. Maybe we do need to change the manager, but the improvement in our play over the last few weeks gives me optimism that we may still survive despite Cooks failings.

The actual results are so demoralising that it does have a tendency to overshadow a lot of what actually went on during the game.

Saturday is a good example, during the first half my brother (who has only recently resurrected attending games after being absent for many years) said "they're playing we'll aren't they" to which there was general agreement form all around us, but on trudging off at the final whistle (Yes, we stayed until the end) all that was forgotten and replaced with anger and frustration.
I've rarely felt so depressed and resigned to the fact that relegation is inevitable as I was at 5pm Saturday and it put me in a mood for the rest of the weekend, which is the first time that's happened to me this season, up until now I've been able to shrug off the despondency quite quickly.
Unlike a few months ago, I now lay the bulk of the blame firmly at Cooks door with a much lesser share of the blame going to players and supporters.

As I said Arthur, I was shell shocked driving home and it took me 24 hours to gather my thoughts and understand what had happened.

For the first thirty minutes I do not recollect them having a touch and I thought we must score. When I went down to the concourse at half time there was a buzz of excitement around and looking at the TV screen and seeing the possession stats only increased my expectancy, 70/30 in our favour.

The first goal we conceded was offside and I cant believe it was missed ( the more I watch the replays the more obvious it is). The second was the result of us switching off whilst pressing forward in search of the justice of an equaliser. The result was a hammer blow and I agree overshadows the performance in most folks eyes.

I am not however despondent, I am optimistic that if we continue to put in performances like that and solve the problem in the final third results will come. My only criticism of Cook on Saturday was his choice of striker. If Moore was fit he should have played, Windass is not an out and out striker and should be playing alongside Moore, not instead of. Lowe should be rested and Gelhardt started.

👏👏👏👏......well said Arthur & I'm sure there's a fair few on here that think similarly & even more so on the terraces.

As I said Arthur, I was shell shocked driving home and it took me 24 hours to gather my thoughts and understand what had happened.

For the first thirty minutes I do not recollect them having a touch and I thought we must score. When I went down to the concourse at half time there was a buzz of excitement around and looking at the TV screen and seeing the possession stats only increased my expectancy, 70/30 in our favour.

The first goal we conceded was offside and I cant believe it was missed ( the more I watch the replays the more obvious it is). The second was the result of us switching off whilst pressing forward in search of the justice of an equaliser. The result was a hammer blow and I agree overshadows the performance in most folks eyes.

I am not however despondent, I am optimistic that if we continue to put in performances like that and solve the problem in the final third results will come. My only criticism of Cook on Saturday was his choice of striker. If Moore was fit he should have played, Windass is not an out and out striker and should be playing alongside Moore, not instead of. Lowe should be rested and Gelhardt started.

In your last paragraph there TB, oh how I hope you are right & wish I had your belief 😉.

P.S. Cook's choice of striker Saturday - didn't have one did we 🤔😉

Agree with nearly all of that with exception of blaming supporters - for what and why ?
Other than some very isolated booing of Naismith coming on (and I'm still of the opinion that 99% of that was aimed at 🤡s decision rather than Naismith)
The vast vast majority have been more than reasonable in their response to the pantomime unfolding before them. When added to the disgraceful lack of comms from out owners / seniors around our clubs current position most attending supporters deserve a knighthood rather than blaming.

Good to see Callum Lang coming on as a sub for the Shrews in last 25 mins as well after months out injured.He was doing well there before the injury so lets hope he has a strong end to the season for them and can compete for a 1st team spot for us next season.

I know it's going to be extremely difficult,but I've not written this season off yet,not with 19 games still to go.Hopefully he can compete for a championship spot with us next season but as you say if we are relegated he will be familiar with that League.

I know it's going to be extremely difficult,but I've not written this season off yet,not with 19 games still to go.Hopefully he can compete for a championship spot with us next season but as you say if we are relegated he will be familiar with that League.
It's because some of the play was good recently. When the WBA game rolled around we had 1 centre back and about 8 wingers playing and bossed the game. Still took a mistake to go ahead and surrendered the lead.

Then 5 or 6 similar feeling games til Birmingham when we use up all our luck to produce 1 result. Now the form drops off a bit an dreams can pick up the points at a canter.

This club produces when there is a culture of 'Believe' From the owner. To the manager to the players to the stands. It unites this club and feeds off each other.

With no visible owner. A manager turning on fans. Players out of form and position while fan numbers drop below any level in well over 15 years it's not great.

It needs unity. A united Wigan produces incredible performances. Incredible memories. Incrideible moments. Right now there's not one part of the club that can act as the spark. It's in a rut.

Fair post Glasgow.Everyone can see the final third is the problem which Cook(who is also the problem)needs to sort out before it's too late with the right tactics and our best attacking players on the pitch from the start in the correct positions.This includes playing a natural striker to lead the line.If not we will then get cut further adrift from safety and the task to stay up gets increasingly difficult.
The spark we need is either some wins and momentum if we can sort out the final third or a good managerial appointment to unite the fans.

Once again I agree with you.

The point of my original post was that people were pushing the agenda that because we had lost 2-0 the football had been poor. It wasn't. It wasn't perfect, but it has shown improvement over the last few games.

With Naismith playing as a CB we have the ability to carry the ball out from the back and commit their midfield, giving our midfield more options, a position that was no doubt stumbled upon as you say.

In Morsy/Williams and Evans we have a combative midfield pairing capable of breaking play up and with, in particular in Evans' case, the ability to pass the ball.

Howells looks to be a decent addition and I think that linked with Windass, Gelhardt or Pilkington could provide us with the final ball into the box that we have been searching for.

The missing piece for me is a striker capable of hitting the back of the net.

We may have that striker on the books in Moore, who has not played for us since we switched from the dreadful long ball football being played to the more considered, on the deck, passing game that we have seen in the last seven or eight games. I hope that we are not throwing the baby out with the bath water if we allow Moore to leave before giving him the opportunity to play a few games when the ball is coming to him in a position where he is able to score rather than with his back to goal 30 yards away.

I don't believe that everything with the club is doom and gloom and can see the positives, whereas I think there are too many others only seeing the negatives. Maybe we do need to change the manager, but the improvement in our play over the last few weeks gives me optimism that we may still survive despite Cooks failings.
The passing and possession was top drawyer but the pace,tempo, shooting, lack of width and the actual defending of the goals wwere all very poor. I likened it to a kick about at Euxton Lane.
Maybe if Robinson and Byrne played in their own half switching across the field rather than down the flanks could help but again we play with five midfielders of which two are very deep yet Bristol carved through the lot of them.

Some interesting points about the club being united doing better.

I don't even think there is an attempt to have us all on the same page, leadership at the top gone completely missing and not willing to back the manager or address the fans concerns, manager seems to hold fans in contempt and seems to be waiting to get sacked rather than have any faith in turning it around, nearly 90% of fans want a manager change according to poll of 1.5k, fans totally lost faith and becoming increasingly dispondent, attendnaces dropping, atmosphere dead and media ignoring the elephent in the room. We have no chance of surviving with all of that - despite having a squad good enough to stay up if used correctly.

If ever there was a situation where something had gone way past it's sell by date and needed freshening up it's us right now.

But it feels like we all know we are going down, no one is happy about it but no one is willing to admit it and attempt to anything about it. It's like being in limbo.

IEC and Royle not doing their job for it to end up like this. It's one thing to be annoynous when things are going well, but when things are going so far off the rails you have to step in and sort it out and they are nowhere to be seen. Whoever making the call to plod along and watch it collapse around them rather than try and make a change have such terrible judgement they shouldn't hold the position they do. No other club in the country has judgement this bad from the top.