Bristol City (H) | Vital Football

Bristol City (H)

Arthur_Itis

Vital Squad Member
Early team news is out, Williams, Naismith and Moore all available.

This is great news from a squad point of view but I wonder what team selection Cook will go for, what tactics he'll go for and what approach the players will take.

If Naismith is at the back I think we'll try to keep the ball on the floor even if Moore is up front.
If Dunkley is at the back and Moore is up front I think it will be back to hoofing it long.

Still no Mulgrew, I wonder if his injury will clear up as soon as his future is decided ?

https://wiganathletic.com/news/2020/january/Early-Team-News-Wigan-Athletic-v-Bristol-City/

My selection would be

Marshall
Byrne Kipre Naismith Robinson
Morsy Evans
Windass Gelhardt Pilkington
Moore​

with the 3 attacking mids fluid and interchanging.

I suspect though that Dowell will feature instead of Gelhardt and Massey will somehow get in there at the expense of someone else.

Train is at 10am for this one. My only Jan game since Sheff Wed has been moved so hoping for a good performance.

Everything we've seen in recent weeks suggest cook won't change much from the last league game.

Bristol City form has been poor and we have been playing well and only lost 1 in 6 and confidence and belief is building.

If we can take the lead and get the 2nd before the panic sets in I'm sure we can get the 3pts which would be massive.

Someone is overdue a thrashing at the DW so I'm going to go with 3-0 latics. Similar performance to Villa this time last year. Windass Evans and Lowe

I'll bring Marshall back.

Marshall
Byrne kipre Naismith Robinson
Evans Williams
Lowe Dowell Windass
Moore

I'd go for that set up as well Franco. Even though Morsy is good at what he does I think he lacks that extra bit of passing quality we need at this level. William's can also do the shit housing bit that Morsy does.
Evan's and William's can both pick out that long range pass which should stop our attacking mids having to keep coming back for the ball and isolating our striker.

Windass is not a striker but I think his and Lowe s movement around and outside the box is excellent but we need that intelligent striker to read their movement and get onto their passes.
It'll be interesting if Moore starts how he does with balls played around the box rather than lumped forward .
I haven't seen anything of Dowell but read his preferred position is behind the striker. So in the middle of Windas and Lowe should hopefully suit his game.

My selection would be

Marshall
Byrne Kipre Naismith Robinson
Morsy Evans
Windass Gelhardt Pilkington
Moore​

with the 3 attacking mids fluid and interchanging.

I suspect though that Dowell will feature instead of Gelhardt and Massey will somehow get in there at the expense of someone else.

I'd probably go with that too, although i'm happy for Garner to start up front instead of Moore long as we use Windass and Gelhardt in midfield and Massey and Williams aren't in attacking mid.

But in reality i suspect Windass still stay up front, Lowe on the right, Williams as number 10 and Dowell on the left and Gelhart may even be pushed off the bench again. I bet Cook is absolutely gutted he can't pick Jacobs and i wouldn't rule out another inexplicable start for Massey.

Happy for Moore to play but baldy needs to realise that we need three quick players behind him. No chance Gelhardt plays after starting midweek, I’ll be surprised if he even makes the bench. Marshall back in as well please.

Marshall

Byrne
Kipre
Naismith
Robinson

Evans
Morsy

Lowe
Windass
Dowell

Moore

Either that or Lowe, Dowell, Pilkington with Windass up top and Moore off the bench. Please for the love of god no Massey!

Moore Garner
Any four of the midfield selection.
Robinson Naismith Kipre Byrne
Or failing that
Moore
Windass Evans Pilkington
Williams Morsy
Robinson Naismith Kipre Byrne

Another big game this against an out of form Bristol C,who hopefully have 1 eye on their FA cup replay at Shrewsbury on Tuesday as the winners play Liverpool.Other sides around us in the table are playing each other as well so also a chance to gain some points on them.
I wouldn't mind if it's Marshall or Jones in goal and with Naismith fit and Sterling injured the back 4 almost picks itself with
Byrne Kipre Naismith Robinson.
For me the 2 midfielders should be Evans and either Morsy or Williams(who is fit to play).I like them both and wouldn't mind either but if I had to pick 1 I would go Williams.
I think Cook will go Windass upfront who has done well there since his return to the side,causing problems for defenders with his pace and movement and has chipped in with a few goals as well.Personally I would play him in 1 of the 3 behind the striker and play Garner or even Moore who is now available.
As I think Cook will go Windass up top I would like to see Dowell behind him which is his best position and that will then get the best out of him.The wingers I would like to see Lowe and Joffy but I think there is very little chance of Joffy starting so I would go with Pilks.Joffy has to be on the bench though to use as an impact sub.I think it's clear Cook is reluctant to start him with his interview with Kendrick today but he has to be used more off the bench than he has been.
I hope I don't see Massey in the starting line up as there are better options available.
I'll go for a 2-1 win.Up the tics!!

Another big game this against an out of form Bristol C,who hopefully have 1 eye on their FA cup replay at Shrewsbury on Tuesday as the winners play Liverpool.Other sides around us in the table are playing each other as well so also a chance to gain some points on them.
I wouldn't mind if it's Marshall or Jones in goal and with Naismith fit and Sterling injured the back 4 almost picks itself with
Byrne Kipre Naismith Robinson.
For me the 2 midfielders should be Evans and either Morsy or Williams(who is fit to play).I like them both and wouldn't mind either but if I had to pick 1 I would go Williams.
I think Cook will go Windass upfront who has done well there since his return to the side,causing problems for defenders with his pace and movement and has chipped in with a few goals as well.Personally I would play him in 1 of the 3 behind the striker and play Garner or even Moore who is now available.
As I think Cook will go Windass up top I would like to see Dowell behind him which is his best position and that will then get the best out of him.The wingers I would like to see Lowe and Joffy but I think there is very little chance of Joffy starting so I would go with Pilks.Joffy has to be on the bench though to use as an impact sub.I think it's clear Cook is reluctant to start him with his interview with Kendrick today but he has to be used more off the bench than he has been.
I hope I don't see Massey in the starting line up as there are better options available.
I'll go for a 2-1 win.Up the tics!!

I think Joffy is the new McMannaman - Cook kept saying Callum would get a chance 'soon' and it never came. Like Callum I don't think Cook wants to play Joffy for some daft reason - I wouldn't be suprised if Joffy was left off bench again as Dowell and Moore will be available and push him down the pecking order. It's scandalous he's being squandered when we need a spark like him. If you're good enough your old enough and Joffy is more threat than anyone in our squad.

I think Joffy is the new McMannaman - Cook kept saying Callum would get a chance 'soon' and it never came. Like Callum I don't think Cook wants to play Joffy for some daft reason - I wouldn't be suprised if Joffy was left off bench again as Dowell and Moore will be available and push him down the pecking order. It's scandalous he's being squandered when we need a spark like him. If you're good enough your old enough and Joffy is more threat than anyone in our squad.
He's more of a threat than Lowe and Massey put together.
However in 🤡s head based on game time he ranks them :- Lowe, Massey, Joffy.
And in a nutshell that sums the fraud up 🙄

Did I hear that right?

Darren Royle was at the youth match the other day showing people the Football Manager ******** stats. Which had Wigan finishing mid-table with 12 further wins!

I think our fate will be sealed before the end of February. Either kicking on or being firmly stuck in the bottom three.

Listening to some you’d think the win against Birmingham had wiped away all our problems. We now need a consistent run of good form. Not one step forward, two steps back.

Did I hear that right?

Darren Royle was at the youth match the other day showing people the Football Manager ******** stats. Which had Wigan finishing mid-table with 12 further wins!

I think our fate will be sealed before the end of February. Either kicking on or being firmly stuck in the bottom three.

Listening to some you’d think the win against Birmingham had wiped away all our problems. We now need a consistent run of good form. Not one step forward, two steps back.

Did I hear that right?

I was thinking exactly the same. One scabby win against a shite Brum hasnt changed anything. A win today and we still need him gone.

Did I hear that right?

Royle out!