Bristol City game | Page 3 | Vital Football

Bristol City game

What a dreadful advert for a championship game. One shot on target each side. A pretty dire game generally devoid of quality. Can we really blame tiredness? Still at least it was 3 points. Up d tics.

Went to the game yesterday and was surprised to see Garner playing, as I thought Cook may have chosen Windass or Powell to lead the line. I was glad to see the back 5 and Morsy just in front of them and thought we had a good chance to win this one.

1st half, however, we were poor. Robinson looked nervous, made a few errors and Kipre bailed him out more than once. Evans and Powell didn't seem to click and the ball kept going long to Garner, who ran around a lot to little effect on the play, other than getting a couple of free kicks and almost getting sent off.

2nd half, we slowed the play down, considered our passes more and looked a lot more comfortable for it. I expect that Cook told the players to not force the play so much and the goal came from a well worked move before Powell headed home.

Bristol City's forward line of Weimann and Diedhiou caused me a bit of concern for our centre back partnership going forwards - Kipre and Dunkley kept getting separated into 1 vs 1, tracking the movements of the strikers a bit too much. I would like to see them track the runs by keeping the player in front of them and heading towards goal rather than just going with the man at the exclusion of all else. They threw their bodies into everything though and when James and Robinson tucked inside when the ball was on the opposite side of the pitch (wasn't really happening 1st half and Cook berated Reece James for it), things looked better.

Another thing we need to sort going forwards is defending at set pieces. We look all over the place and nearly conceded a soft goal at the end.

I liked Windass up the middle, after Garner was substituted. He ran the channels well and looked to receive the ball on the half turn a few times.

Bristol City will be up the top end of the table and overall whilst it was hardly a classic it was an important three points and shows how Cook has managed to get some strength in depth into our squad which we didn't have the last time we were in the Championship.

Not a scintillating performance by any stretch but a win is win! I imagine it will have a dour game for the neutral and sky, but given the schedule I really didn't expect anything less.

I thought it was a relatively even contest and couldn't have complained with a point. However despite not being the best of games I really enjoyed how we fought, put in what effort/energy we had and that general willingness to dig in and get the job done. Blowing teams is away is obviously exciting but winning in that manner is very satisfying for different reasons. The players deserved all the applause they received at the whistle.

I thought windass had his best game for us and it was a superb cross for the goal, probably the best piece of quality in the game. Dunkley and Cipre really didn't want to concede tonight and it showed. Agree with the comment about we wouldn't have won without Morsy. Thought garners challenge was bad at the time and the wife who watched at home said it was a definite red so I guess we've been fortunate for once with a referring decision. Thankfully for us the BC players didn't behave like children or it may have been.
It evened out the foul on Jacobs in the first half that should have been a penalty.

They were a good team, you could tell by some of their interchanging play especially through the middle. Make no mistake that was a big statement tonight to beat them. Their number 9 looked really dangerous and should have scored at the end. Thought everyone had a good game but Kipre in particular was outstanding, the best he’s played for us by a mile. To get three points after a tough schedule is really pleasing. Hopefully we can try and go on a little run now.

It evened out the foul on Jacobs in the first half that should have been a penalty.
Once again Jacobs’ extravagant dive ruined any chance of getting the pen. I’ve said before he hasn’t got a clue how to go down convincingly and needs to take lessons from Cal Mac.

They were a good team, you could tell by some of their interchanging play especially through the middle. Make no mistake that was a big statement tonight to beat them. Their number 9 looked really dangerous and should have scored at the end. Thought everyone had a good game but Kipre in particular was outstanding, the best he’s played for us by a mile. To get three points after a tough schedule is really pleasing. Hopefully we can try and go on a little run now.

Once again Jacobs’ extravagant dive ruined any chance of getting the pen. I’ve said before he hasn’t got a clue how to go down convincingly and needs to take lessons from Cal Mac.
He may do if we ever see him playing!

Having seen it back it was a stonewall penalty, there was no dive at all. Jeff is correct, thankfully the non sending off perhaps evened out the poor decisions. On these occasions two wrongs did make a right.

Agree about their number 9, won and held the ball up very well. Seemed to lack composure when it mattered however.

Having seen it back it was a stonewall penalty, there was no dive at all. Jeff is correct, thankfully the non sending off perhaps evened out the poor decisions. On these occasions two wrongs did make a right.

Agree about their number 9, won and held the ball up very well. Seemed to lack composure when it mattered however.
It was a pen, but Jacobs goes down theatrically, almost like he’s scared of going down onto his stomach and getting hurt so has to throw himself down instead so his hands hit the floor first. He’s done it loads of times, it’s no surprise referees never give him it, it looks like he’s trying to con one rather than it coming naturally.

I watched it back, at the time, I thought "ah get up, looking for a soft one there" and there wasn't many of our lads appealing it.

A few people have quite rightly mentioned the schedule. Given we have a few international players, these runs of matches will happen more often, but with that win last night, we may all look at that as a pivotal point in the season. 3rd at this stage was way above where I thought we'd be, so let's hope it keeps going!

They were a good team, you could tell by some of their interchanging play especially through the middle. Make no mistake that was a big statement tonight to beat them. Their number 9 looked really dangerous

What the fuck?

Also thought that although not the tallest, Garner was a constant nuisance to their centre backs and won more than his fair share of headers, far more effective in that role than Vaughan

It wasn't a sexy performance but i thought it was an excellent battling performance against a very good side that have every chance of finishing in the play offs. It made us show another side our our game that up until now we havent seen too much of and it's that ability to grind out a result that all good sides need. I don't think either side allowed the other to really play their natural game and as others have said the 3 games in 6 days probably resulted in a less energetic display than we'd have liked and in the end it came down to fine margins and who wanted it more and our lads were willing to run through a brick wall for that 3 points. In a funny way i felt that was possibly our most satisfying win and performance to date.

I was shocked but very pleased they rested O'Dowda and Watkins from the start to introduce some fresh legs i think that helped us. The Bristol management and fans were massively critical of their performance is quite telling as they still moved the ball very well and looked a very good team. If that was them on a very bad day it's an even more impressive result. They had something like 24 shots against West Brom a few days earlier to restrict them to just 1 on target against us is testament to our defensive work.

For me it was a cast iron penalty on Jacobs but i understand the point about the way he goes down even when he is genuinely fouled can look a bit threatrical and put refs off.

I also thought it was a certain red for Garner, i was amazed the Bristol players didn't kick off and the linesman didn't seem to notice despite it happening right in front of him. Finally a bad decision in our favour!

After Waltons nightmare at Villa he's been comanding his box better and been better at coming for crosses more. He seems a lot more comfortable in the last few games.

Dunkley and Kipre are really starting to look strong at this level and James just goes from strength to strength. Robinson has not had his best week, i suspect the flying round the world and back and time zone swich probably played a part. But you can see the level of raw talent but you can tell he's still learning on the job. He'll be a top player given the time.

Garner looked good and will bring us something a little different. Seems strong and great at getting up for high balls for such a small guy, looks to be another s--- housing player too which is never a bad thing if they are on your side!

Morsy, Evans, Jacobs worked their socks off as always, Powell was superb again and as others already said Windass had his best game for us so far. A tremendous assist and worked his socks off. He's definitely not an out and out target man but he looks more suited to a central role rather than outside like he said himself this week.

Gibson made another big difference when he came on, Connolly looked a bit like a fish out of water again on the right and Naithsmith's little cameo was pretty much time wasting.

We are still looking a little uncomfortable when we are defending a lead late in the game and resorting to just clearing our lines and seeing the ball come back rather than playing ourselves out and keeping control of the ball. It's understandable at this point against teams carrying such threats and us being the divisions new boys but hopefully holding out under so much pressure like that will start to give us the confidence to not panic in those situations and we can start to show more composure and hopefully not have such frantic finishes. But nothing but praise for our players throwing themselves in front of everything to keep that ball out.

A look back to the preseason concern and comparing it to where we are now and it just goes to show how quickly things can change in football. It's a reminder that we need to make the absolute most of what we are currently doing as it can change again just as fast, with vultures certain to be circling over any team doing as well as we are. What a result, what a team and what a manager we have. With a little luck on the field and if we can get this takeover done and keep everyone here the sky could be the limit for where Cook can take us.