Bristol (A) | Page 6 | Vital Football

Bristol (A)

Anyone who went to the playoff semi final will know full well the consequences if it goes to the last day. Millwall fans will still feel they owe us for taunting them on the pitch while they got caned by the old bill. It’ll be absolutely chaos on and off the field. No trains either so all Millwall will be coming in by coach and minibus. Not one to be taking the kids.
I thought it was Millwall's bandwagon that got into a fight - not their real supporters. And to be fair whenever we play them at their ground I didn't sense any problems getting to and from train station.

I thought it was Millwall's bandwagon that got into a fight - not their real supporters. And to be fair whenever we play them at their ground I didn't sense any problems getting to and from train station.

Neither have I, but we have never really travelled there in reasonable numbers or upset them ver often by winning, we usually just roll over and let them bully us.

You cannot deny the way they harass linesmaen and referees, both the crowd when they get going and their players when the hyped up crowd get them going, didn't go this year but numerous times in the past I have always thought the refs we have had have been weak and let the crowd, players and hostile atmosphere influence them.

Talking about influencing refs, thats one area we could do with picking up on. We saw how Brentford did this and the two biggest sides at shit housing are due thats Leeds and Nob End. Hearing from Nobbers I know this has been one of the biggest parts of their game. I wouldnt say go totally like these three clubs but perhaps we are a little too nice at times and need to get in the oppositions faces a bit more.

I have a really weird feeling, based on nothing apart from gut instinct, that we could nick something at Leeds. Maybe only a point, but it would be a bonus one. I think Norwich will cruise past us though.

I have a really weird feeling, based on nothing apart from gut instinct, that we could nick something at Leeds. Maybe only a point, but it would be a bonus one. I think Norwich will cruise past us though.
The opposite for me. Leeds will beat us without breaking sweat. But if Norwich are without Buendia then we have a small chance against them, especially at home.

It was a vital point for us nicking that last minute equaliser. Bristol were really average to poor and werent showing any real urgency to get forward until they made their triple sub and switched from wing backs to more of an attacking 4-4-2 and finally had a go at us. Once they had a go we were getting a bit battered after looking so comfortable when Bristol were asleep. The goals conceeded were very soft again we are very poor for stopping crosses and Dunkley and Kipre often lose the guy thr are marking.

Thought Fox was good, Garner has really started to look the part and really growing on me but is all too often not getting any decent support and fighting for long balls. Thought Powell and Windass were largely passengers - no idea why Massey or Pilks didn't start after last week when Windass wasn't even in the squad. James was his usual self. Credit to Clarke for managing to make something out of a high loose ball and getting a shot off that got us the goal - he saved our bacon when we looked dead and buried. You can see some genuine strikers instinct in Clarke when the ball drops in the box but he is utterly useless as a target man- considering his height and frame he is so light weight and poor at winning high balls. It may be a better idea having him on with Garner than replacing him with the unusual prospect of the 5'10 player being the target man and the 6'2 player feeding on the flick ons.

I dont think the formation changed helped as Byrne is a good right back but he offers so little threat as a wing back where he needs to do the wingers job similar for Robinson on the other side - just not enough threat from those 2 to make the system work. Also the extra centre half really didn't seem to help when they were playing 1 central striker with 2 wide forwards we probably were overloaded in centre defence and when they put 2 up our numbers advantage meant nothing as we immediately conceeded a really poor goal.

This is probably the worst Latics team I've ever seen at managing a lead, call it basic organisation / concentration / handling the pressure / psychology or whatever you like I've never known a Wigan side take the lead and so easily lose it. We've had worse teams overall and we've faced stronger opposition but even the torrid times with likes of Joyce and Malky or playing the big clubs in the prem where generally we couldn't get in front - on the rare occasion we did you knew we had a good chance of grinding out a win. But in this set up if we go ahead we cant have confidence we can even reduce the other side to just an equaliser and expect them to get two goals and complete the come back. Teams often dont come at us hard from the off and we look comfortable but when they inevitably do later in games we seem utterly unable to cope under pressure, track movement or stop crosses.

I've seen Cook again say it's not tactics or training it's just the personnel again and i think it's very poor from him. He has refused to criticise poor team performances in the past saying he doesn't want to publicly critasise his players but is now happy to insinuate they arent good enough - which is much worse! If he said we let ourselves down after a awful performance then i dont think the players could moan but if the manager is pretty much saying they are just not good enough is hardly going to inspire them is it?! Even if it's true i think it's poor management.

It comes accross as deflecting all blame onto the players when he bares a decent portion of it too. He often talks about them being in it together but that felt like throwing them under the bus to save himself. He is the one who picks them, trains them and signs them - he had 7 of his signings on the pitch and brought on another 2 the other 4 starters and 1 sub he inherited have largely been our better performers over the past 2 years and players he said are good enough to step up to this level so if he's not happy with his personnel he bares a huge part of the blame for that too.

We've seen in the past even poor sides with poor players if their organisation is well drilled and their fitness and work rate are up to scratch they can make it so difficult for even the best teams - but we are conceeding such avoidable, soft goals against teams who aren't often even playing well and have been doing that all season - i think there is something fundamentally wrong with what we are doing in training. We saw how the likes of Bruce took a messy back 4 and keeper riddled with individual mistakes and collective lapses and made it water tight and then that exact same defence become one of the worst in the league under Martinez - the coaching makes a big difference and i think at this level we haven't got the know-how in our set up.

As expected Rotherham got a win and Millwall continue to pull out results at home, relieved Reading didn't win but it's so close and really hard to see us picking up the 2 wins i think we need to keep us up. Since we've never been in the bottom 3 i fear that has given us a false sense of security all season that there are worse teams than us but since the end of Sept the only team to take less points than us is Bolton with our other relegation rivals picking up significantly more points than us i am very worried we are certain to fall in at this rate. I used to fancy us to just about scrape 4th bottom survival over Rotherham but now i think it's a 50-50 on which one of us goes and if pushed to pick one leaning more towards Rotherham than us pulling out the wins.

Last edited:
It was a vital point for us nicking that last minute equaliser. Bristol were really average to poor and werent showing any real urgency to get forward until they made their triple sub and switched from wing backs to more of an attacking 4-4-2 and finally had a go at us. Once they had a go we were getting a bit battered after looking so comfortable when Bristol were asleep. The goals conceeded were very soft again we are very poor for stopping crosses and Dunkley and Kipre often lose the guy thr are marking.

Thought Fox was good, Garner has really started to look the part and really growing on me but is all too often not getting any decent support and fighting for long balls. Thought Powell and Windass were largely passengers - no idea why Massey or Pilks didn't start after last week when Windass wasn't even in the squad. James was his usual self.

I dont think the formation changed helped as Byrne is a good right back but he offers so little threat as a wing back where he needs to do the wingers job similar for Robinson on the other side - just not enough threat from those 2 to make the system work. Also the extra centre half really didn't seem to help when they were playing 1 central striker with 2 wide forwards we probably were overloaded in centre defence and when they put 2 up our numbers advantage meant nothing as we immediately conceeded a really poor goal.

This is probably the worst Latics team I've ever seen at managing a lead, call it basic organisation / concentration / handling the pressure / psychology or whatever you like I've never known a Wigan side take the lead and so easily lose it. We've had worse teams overall and we've faced stronger opposition but even the torrid times with likes of Joyce and Malky or playing the big clubs in the prem where generally we couldn't get in front - on the rare occasion we did you knew we had a good chance of grinding out a win. But in this set up if we go ahead we cant have confidence we can even reduce the other side to just an equaliser and expect them to get two goals and complete the come back. Teams often dont come at us hard from the off and we look comfortable but when they inevitably do later in games we seem utterly unable to cope under pressure, track movement or stop crosses.

I've seen Cook again say it's not tactics or training it's just the personnel again and i think it's very poor from him. He has refused to criticise poor team performances in the past saying he doesn't want to publicly critasise his players but is now happy to insinuate they arent good enough - which is much worse! If he said we let ourselves down after a awful performance then i dont think the players could moan but if the manager is pretty much saying they are just not good enough is hardly going to inspire them is it?! Even if it's true i think it's poor management.

It comes accross as deflecting all blame onto the players when he bares a decent portion of it too. He often talks about them being in it together but that felt like throwing them under the bus to save himself. He is the one who picks them, trains them and signs them - he had 7 of his signings on the pitch and brought on another 2 the other 4 starters and 1 sub he inherited have largely been our better performers over the past 2 years and players he said are good enough to step up to this level so if he's not happy with his personnel he bares a huge part of the blame for that too.

We've seen in the past even poor sides with poor players if their organisation is well drilled and their fitness and work rate are up to scratch they can make it so difficult for even the best teams - but we are conceeding such avoidable, soft goals against teams who aren't often even playing well and have been doing that all season - i think there is something fundamentally wrong with what we are doing in training. We saw how the likes of Bruce took a messy back 4 and keeper riddled with individual mistakes and collective lapses and made it water tight and then that exact same defence become one of the worst in the league under Martinez - the coaching makes a big difference and i think at this level we haven't got the know-how in our set up.

As expected Rotherham got a win and Millwall continue to pull out results at home, relieved Reading didn't win but it's so close and really hard to see us picking up the 2 wins i think we need to keep us up. Since we've never been in the bottom 3 i fear that has given us a false sense of security all season that there are worse teams than us but since the end of Sept the only team to take less points than us is Bolton with our other relegation rivals picking up significantly more points than us i am very worried we are certain to fall in at this rate. I used to fancy us to just about scrape 4th bottom survival over Rotherham but now i think it's a 50-50 on which one of us goes and if pushed to pick one leaning more towards Rotherham than us pulling out the
Realy a good honest post

Thought Fox was good, Garner has really started to look the part and really growing on me but is all too often not getting any decent support and fighting for long balls. Thought Powell and Windass were largely passengers - no idea why Massey or Pilks didn't start after last week when Windass wasn't even in the squad. James was his usual self. Credit to Clarke for managing to make something out of a high loose ball and getting a shot off that got us the goal - he saved our bacon when we looked dead and buried. You can see some genuine strikers instinct in Clarke when the ball drops in the box but he is utterly useless as a target man- considering his height and frame he is so light weight and poor at winning high balls. It may be a better idea having him on with Garner than replacing him with the unusual prospect of the 5'10 player being the target man and the 6'2 player feeding on the flick ons.

As expected Rotherham got a win and Millwall continue to pull out results at home, relieved Reading didn't win but it's so close and really hard to see us picking up the 2 wins i think we need to keep us up. Since we've never been in the bottom 3 i fear that has given us a false sense of security all season that there are worse teams than us but since the end of Sept the only team to take less points than us is Bolton with our other relegation rivals picking up significantly more points than us i am very worried we are certain to fall in at this rate. I used to fancy us to just about scrape 4th bottom survival over Rotherham but now i think it's a 50-50 on which one of us goes and if pushed to pick one leaning more towards Rotherham than us pulling out the wins.

Good post.

You're doing well to get to these games with a young baby in the house!

It's very easy to say that Bristol were poor, I'd prefer to give the players and manager some credit for once. We went down to a team in red-hot form, riding high in the play-offs and with confidence sky high and we took it to them.

I don't think Windass had his best game as he too often didn't play the correct ball to a team-mate, but Powell did not have a bad game. I also don't agree with your assessment of Garner. I thought he was poor and the ref very quickly cottoned on to his party trick of backing and bending down trying to win a free kick. I think the stats said we had 16 or 18 attempts at goal (not bad for an away game) and yet I can't remember a single effort from Garner. Clarke comes on for six minutes doesn't look entirely convincing yet still has a goal bound effort blacked on the line by their defender which leads to our equaliser.

Agree Dunks and Kipre were at sixes and sevens for their first, but come on, how unlucky was Dunkley slipping for their equaliser. If he doesn't slip we clear and probably ride out that mini spell of Bristol pressure. His slip incidentally was probably due to the excessive watering that Bristol did at both boxes we were defending (probably another trick we need to learn from as well as the Brentford time wasting and cheating).

I reckon most Latics fans who were at Ashton Gate on Saturday left heartened by the display from the boys and I for one, am not filled with the same doom and gloom that appears to have enveloped you KDZ over the last couple of months.

Come on KDZ where's all that optimism from earlier in the season? I'm as disappointed as anyone the way our season has turned out (it's probably me being at games that has cost us some points as I'm clearly very unlucky) but we're Wigan Athletic and we don't do boring seasons.

We will stay up and I believe we will prove the doubters wrong with some big performances over the next few games. There is so little between the teams in this league (as we showed on Saturday) there is no reason why we cannot get the points we need.

That is now 6 away games when we've had the lead but failed to see out a win.
All for various reasons when you look back at each game. Hopefully we can still learn from this and survive.

Edit: sorry Will, I've only just read your post #98 in the summer transfer thread ( I hadn't realised it was back onto football) saying the same thing.

Last edited:
It's very easy to say that Bristol were poor, I'd prefer to give the players and manager some credit for once. We went down to a team in red-hot form, riding high in the play-offs and with confidence sky high and we took it to them.

I don't think Windass had his best game as he too often didn't play the correct ball to a team-mate, but Powell did not have a bad game. I also don't agree with your assessment of Garner. I thought he was poor and the ref very quickly cottoned on to his party trick of backing and bending down trying to win a free kick. I think the stats said we had 16 or 18 attempts at goal (not bad for an away game) and yet I can't remember a single effort from Garner. Clarke comes on for six minutes doesn't look entirely convincing yet still has a goal bound effort blacked on the line by their defender which leads to our equaliser.

Agree Dunks and Kipre were at sixes and sevens for their first, but come on, how unlucky was Dunkley slipping for their equaliser. If he doesn't slip we clear and probably ride out that mini spell of Bristol pressure. His slip incidentally was probably due to the excessive watering that Bristol did at both boxes we were defending (probably another trick we need to learn from as well as the Brentford time wasting and cheating).

I reckon most Latics fans who were at Ashton Gate on Saturday left heartened by the display from the boys and I for one, am not filled with the same doom and gloom that appears to have enveloped you KDZ over the last couple of months.

Come on KDZ where's all that optimism from earlier in the season? I'm as disappointed as anyone the way our season has turned out (it's probably me being at games that has cost us some points as I'm clearly very unlucky) but we're Wigan Athletic and we don't do boring seasons.

We will stay up and I believe we will prove the doubters wrong with some big performances over the next few games. There is so little between the teams in this league (as we showed on Saturday) there is no reason why we cannot get the points we need.

I don't do optimism or persemism out of desire or faith i just look at what i see on the pitch and call it how i see it and what i see is not very good unfortunately - it's something like 5 wins in the last 32 games, 1 win in the last 10, 0 away win in the last 19, etc . For me we've overall looked bad enough to go down since September and every time we've said 'don't worry it will come good or it will be ok' it's never really improved much and we have just slowly dropped closer and closer to the relegation places despite the teams below us not being much good. After a good start this season season has felt like being on the deck of the Titanic and seeing the iceberg in the distance slowly getting closer and closer.

I'm delighted with the point, it could be crucial but there's no point pretending that we are likely to break the habit of a season in the next 6 games or so - we haven't seen anything to genuinely believe something has changed and we are set to do so. It's football so you never know - anything can happen - we all live in hope - but judging from what we've shown on the pitch it looks unlikely we are capable of getting the 2 wins we probably need to make us safe (i am not sure we will even get 1 win). We are most realistically banking on Rotherham being hopless and getting hardly any more points rather than us saving ourselves by getting the points to pull clear - and i think Rotherham will get a win or two. I dont care how we stay up at this point, i accepted back at Christmas when we didn't change anything that 4th bottom was probably the best we could hope for but i would love to be proven wrong and we pull out some big wins and results to stay up on a bit of a canter - i just can't see it.

Regarding Bristols performance we did fine at first but you've got to look at the opposition- they had no tempo on the ball, weren't getting men forward or breaking in numbers - after 2 impressive away games they just looked so complacent and we were taking advantage of that. As soon as they upped the gear and started attacking we folded immedietely and got battered - so under those circumstances it's hard to think that Bristol ineptitude was us stopping them as much as it was them not turning up initially. Even at their half speed in the first half they could easily have had a goal or 2 if it wasn't for some bad finishing or Walton pulling off a good save.

Dunkleys slip was unfortunate but it wasn't the only issue with their goal, on the replays you can see when Dunkley slips the goal scorer Palmer strolls into the box unmarked for the goal and their other striker had also ran into the box unmarked for an alternative pass.

I understand what you say about Garner but he has the thankless task of playing with his back to goal at all times often against much bigger opposition, we play so many long balls to him and he just has to battle for them relentlessly. When you look at our chances from the weekend with the exception of the James screamer and Clarkes shot no one had a shot at goal - so i think it's not just Garner not getting the shots off - no one was as the service was non existant. I think Garner is making a decent job of a thankless task and without his battling effort then our play would be completely incoherant as it would just see every long ball result in turning over posession - he keeps the ball alive at least by making himself a constant thorn in their side by getting stuck in unlike any other striker we've had all season. I think without Garner we'd been totally sunk at this point as we know we are going to go long and no one else is physically going to challenge for those high balls like he does, even if he isn't 100% succesful on winning those high balls he is winning more than anyone else has or is capable of.

You reckoned Windass didn't play too well. Unfortunately for a player who has had to cover for Grigg Powell Massey and Jacobs for most of the season that is an all too regular description of his performances which in the majority of games have been well below par. Out of his depth at this level possibly. Poor signing definitely.

You reckoned Windass didn't play too well. Unfortunately for a player who has had to cover for Grigg Powell Massey and Jacobs for most of the season that is an all too regular description of his performances which in the majority of games have been well below par. Out of his depth at this level possibly. Poor signing definitely.

The thing i really don't get with Windass is he wasn't playing well for long periods then he had a spell where he seemed to finally start to find his feet, he was getting a few goals and we could finally see why we paid some of the money for him - but then we dropped him. It was like we kept faith in him through the poor form and then our patients was finally being rewarded and we took him out of the side. I know we wanted to bring back some other players but surely you don't drop a player who is doing ok? We did the same with Naismith too, he got dropped after probably his best ever game for us - after we kept him in after he was hopless in so many other games - then after Massey started to look the business he got dropped on Saturday - i don't get some of our decisions.