Bristol (A) | Page 5 | Vital Football

Bristol (A)

Just because someone has a voice doesn't mean to say we have to listen to it.

Nathan & WAFC have done exactly the right thing. Great. The idiot's gone.

For the third time, I'll mention this forum. Occasionally, someone goes too far with an insult. Should it be shut down?

But this kid wouldn’t spout this bile down the pub. It’s a spotty virgin in his bedroom at his mum’s house with direct access to message one of our players. That’s not right.

There is far more worse than good on Twitter. Believe me this world wouldn’t be in the mess it is now without it. Giving voices to the wrong people and brainwashing the foolish. And that’s before the racism and homophobia.

I won’t go any further before the politics argument begins again.

Racism, homophobia, misogyny, stupidity and dangerous views have been around a lot longer than social media. Social media just highlights them more and spreads it easier, putting these people on a pedestal which goes both ways. People can easily find others with the same vile views, but it also makes it easier to find these scum bags and put them away. Shortly after Byrne reported it, people were talking about it, defending and supporting Byrne, ousting the cretin, the club was able to swiftly respond too. Evils in the past managed to get their way without the power of a hashtag.

Anyway, back to the game.

Decent point on paper in terms of league positions, as well as getting a late equaliser after falling behind. But equally worrying in terms of another game we failed to capitalise on despite winning with our awful defending. It's becoming extremely alarming how shocking our defending has become. 3 month ago, I would be pleased with whoever out of Dunkley, Kipre and Fox was playing. Now, Dunks and Kipre terrify me when the opposition counter us.

Amazing goal by James, hope he goes far next season. Also want to add some admiration for Lee Johnson who I have a soft spot for, hope he follows Eddie Howe's footsteps.

I may say something that many won't like here, though what's new, before we start being horrified at what this piece of sh1t has done we need to look at our own and call it out and fight it when ever scum like this raise their heads.

Both myself and wife have been physically threatened and ridiculed at away games by our own fans because we have dared to challenge those who think racist chants are acceptable, when you look round you see smirks of laughter or people avoiding your gaze with a don't involve me look.

Until we all stand up and challenge racism in all forms not just when it's a footballer or someone famous who is the victim, it will not stop.

ps Can I add that some of those racists rants have been aimed at our own players because they were having a bad game or just not up to it.

Well said ...can I just add something in support of what has been achieved in this country in the last few years though...I was around when the worst racism was being openly voiced but it rarely happens to anything like what it does in mainland Europe now...that's not to say there isn't more to do but we are now light years in front of several countries on the continent especially eastern Europe. It's not all bad news but whenever it rears its ugly head like this these people don't need jailing they need chaining to a desk and educating.

A lovely part of the Bolton match was that after 1 of goals when we do that dance to music a black lad with his son in the East stand ( who I had never seen before ) were bouncing around with big smiles all over their faces proper enjoying their selves. If anybody would have said anything bad I would have thrown the bastards out myself. We are making progress though so let's not be too down on ourselves.

Back to football and I know I keep banging on about must win games 2 of our closest rivals had must winners yesterday and did...we had 1 last week and didn't. That scares me now.

That said I expected nowt at Bristol so that's 1 point against the head so to speak.

Draggers could be right you know...has been saying it for ages and it really could all be on the Millwall game. Lock up yer daughters.

Rotherham result really shocked me yesterday and fair play to them after getting pegged back to go and get a winner.
I must admit that for the first time I do feel a bit nervous that this could go to the last game with us very much involved.
Exciting times.

Just because someone has a voice doesn't mean to say we have to listen to it.

Nathan & WAFC have done exactly the right thing. Great. The idiot's gone.

For the third time, I'll mention this forum. Occasionally, someone goes too far with an insult. Should it be shut down?

Agree with you there Moonay...as u mention 'someone goes too far' but its slightly different as mainly on Twitter it's a 1 maybe 2 comments that are said before insults occur & the poster usually skulks off before being challenged. Whereas on here / other forums its normally a bit of to n froing before insults appear plus we do have a mod alongside yourself who chips in when things can / do get heated - a little but more like self policing altho Twitter being so big it's hardly ever policed / controlled until it's out of hand.

Rotherham result really shocked me yesterday and fair play to them after getting pegged back to go and get a winner.
I must admit that for the first time I do feel a bit nervous that this could go to the last game with us very much involved.
Exciting times.
Or could go to the last game and we play out a gentleman’s draw with Millwall to both stay up!

Just seen highlights. Our defence was really at sixes and sevens...shocking.

I read through the match thread on a Bristol City forum earlier and what they were saying was spot on and typical of our season.

The first few posts were about how they were poor, it changed to we were making them look poor and we were playing better than them, then the disappointment at us scoring with recognition it had been coming.

During the rest of the first half bemoaning their half chance misses acknowledging the fact we should have scored more, then the 'nail on the head on post', one fellow said "don't worry we will improve and their defence is shocking and a disaster waiting to happen and how we would eventually give them a clear chance or two".

Our season summed up in a nutshell by a few fans on a message board,

Gentleman and Millwall shoehorned in the same sentence...take a bow.

As you suggest Millwall, team or fans, don't have the word " Gentleman" in their vocabulary, from the day the fixtures were announced I dreaded a final day where we both need something out of the game, they will travel in numbers and be their usual selves and so will the team who like to bully teams and get their fans worked into a frenzy which they usually react well to.

Anyone who went to the playoff semi final will know full well the consequences if it goes to the last day. Millwall fans will still feel they owe us for taunting them on the pitch while they got caned by the old bill. It’ll be absolutely chaos on and off the field. No trains either so all Millwall will be coming in by coach and minibus. Not one to be taking the kids.

Thoroughly enjoyed the trip to Brizzle and we got a point more than most expected so all good then.
Well not really when they made the triple sub they made a change in formation and a more direct central attacking approach.
Our defence which had been ok to that point fell to bits conceded 2 goals and almost 3 and our manager did absolutely nothing to change our own approach for 22 minutes from their subs - pathetic from Cook.
The late cavalry charge worked for a change but we got lucky despite not because of our out of depth manager

Anyone who went to the playoff semi final will know full well the consequences if it goes to the last day. Millwall fans will still feel they owe us for taunting them on the pitch while they got caned by the old bill. It’ll be absolutely chaos on and off the field. No trains either so all Millwall will be coming in by coach and minibus. Not one to be taking the kids.

Add to that, I've been told by a reliable source that Everton are coming down for a revenge pop at Millwall after their lad got slashed at that cup game a couple of months ago.

I will be going with my young kids as per normal. I've not time for all this 'firms' crap, just effin well grow up. We live in a world where footballers are paid thousands a week for their club. Let them do the 'battling'. I'd never fall out with someone like that over football. If you are that deeply affected and wound up by it, you'd be better off stopping going and just find another interest. Not aiming this at anybody on here, just the bellends in general. Look at the Everton fan who got slashed. Yes, it was shocking what happened to him, but he openly went for a scrap and was swinging punches before he got slashed.

The 'redevelopment' of our ground that has been mentioned, to the corners, has given me much thought on what they can do. I would like big score board screens in place in the south east and north west corners of the ground, emergency services/ambulance depot in the south west corner, and a Police control box/centre in the north east corner, which would prevent any repeat of the bottle and coin throwing that we saw at the Bolton game. Thats my idea, anyway.

Thoroughly enjoyed the trip to Brizzle and we got a point more than most expected so all good then.
Well not really when they made the triple sub they made a change in formation and a more direct central attacking approach.
Our defence which had been ok to that point fell to bits conceded 2 goals and almost 3 and our manager did absolutely nothing to change our own approach for 22 minutes from their subs - pathetic from Cook.
The late cavalry charge worked for a change but we got lucky despite not because of our out of depth manager
Agree Cook should have changed things earlier for us but I don’t think we got lucky. I always felt we could get something out of the game even when we went behind. We created chances. Our defence went wobbly when they made their three subs but we’ve been like that all season as LMB mentioned earlier. Our problem is that our central defensive mainstay is trying to adapt to a step up in division and he has a very promising (but very inexperienced) 21/22-year-old next to him. This is why we signed Fox and you could see him coaching Robinson throughout the game yesterday. We have lacked that’s leader at the back all season and it has cost us.

However, while the usual suspects go into meltdown as we enter squeaky bum time, let’s not forget the size of the task facing us this season. Yesterday Bristol’s pacey striker was a real handful, but he cost them £5m. There are teams in this league who dwarf us in terms of budgets, crowds and the quality of their playing squads. Considering the uncertainty of the takeover, the injuries we have had and (frankly) some of the decisions and bad luck that have gone against us this season we’ve done well to keep our heads above the relegation line. Myself and my son have yet to see us win this season, but despite all the feelings of pain we’ve experienced we’re still flying the flag of optimism. The chairman yesterday thanked us for our continued support when I told him that. No need to thank us Mr Chairman, we’ll be there until the end. UTFT!

Last edited:
The size of out task is now to finish ahead of a team who we were 19 points better than last season and who spent nowhere near what we did "improving" our squad.
I know they can be "unplayable" but come on!
Cooks also said he thought Windass was excellent yesterday- I must have been watching a different Windass .....!