Bring back golf! (Please) | Vital Football

Bring back golf! (Please)

Spursex

Alert Team
Lee Westwood call for Government to 'see sense' and reopen golf courses

European No 1 made plea to the Government after angling was handed a lifeline

After urgent representations from the Angling Trust over fears of an “absurd” ban in England but not in Scotland or Wales, and pressure from the British Association of Shooting and Conservation, the Government on Thursday agreed to formally recognise the sports as an acceptable form of outdoor exercise.

A petition to allow golf courses to open during the third national lockdown passed 100,000 signatures on Thursday, meaning that parliament will consider it for debate.

“I signed the petition and I look forward to the Government seeing sense," said Westwood. "I’m ok, because I’m classed as an elite athlete, so can carry on playing.

"I’m thinking about others. Take my mum. Playing golf is one of the few times during all this that she has had any social interaction. She’s petrified to go out otherwise. Why deny her and so many others something that is basically risk-free and is positive in every sense?”

The Government, having considered the benefits of fishing on individual health and wellbeing, decided that it will now be permitted, albeit stressing participants adhere to the rules on staying local, social distancing and limiting the time spent outdoors.

Westwood wants the same considerations given to golf. "It's quite right that fishing is being allowed again, my dad is a massive fisherman and is delighted," he added. "It’s good for him and I can only hope this means that golf will also get the green light to resume.

"The arguments have been made and proven about how easy it is to practice social distancing in a round of golf and about all the health benefits it brings, both mentally and physically. It is counter-production to health concerns, - especially the health of old people - to keep the golf courses shut any longer."
England Golf chief executive Jeremy Tomlinson echoed Westwood, saying the sport was hopeful of being able to convince the Government to "at the very least to bring golf back sooner, rather than later."
“It’s often said ‘golf is a good walk spoiled’ – of course, I don’t agree with the sentiment of the phrase, but when you boil it down golf really is a sporting version of a walk in the countryside," he said.

“If you reopened golf courses to allow the community of two million golfers in England to have that as a safe option for exercise, then I think that could be a huge positive in the fight against the physical and mental health issues posed by lockdown."

Lee Westwood call for Government to 'see sense' and reopen golf courses

European No 1 made plea to the Government after angling was handed a lifeline

After urgent representations from the Angling Trust over fears of an “absurd” ban in England but not in Scotland or Wales, and pressure from the British Association of Shooting and Conservation, the Government on Thursday agreed to formally recognise the sports as an acceptable form of outdoor exercise.

A petition to allow golf courses to open during the third national lockdown passed 100,000 signatures on Thursday, meaning that parliament will consider it for debate.

“I signed the petition and I look forward to the Government seeing sense," said Westwood. "I’m ok, because I’m classed as an elite athlete, so can carry on playing.

"I’m thinking about others. Take my mum. Playing golf is one of the few times during all this that she has had any social interaction. She’s petrified to go out otherwise. Why deny her and so many others something that is basically risk-free and is positive in every sense?”

The Government, having considered the benefits of fishing on individual health and wellbeing, decided that it will now be permitted, albeit stressing participants adhere to the rules on staying local, social distancing and limiting the time spent outdoors.

Westwood wants the same considerations given to golf. "It's quite right that fishing is being allowed again, my dad is a massive fisherman and is delighted," he added. "It’s good for him and I can only hope this means that golf will also get the green light to resume.

"The arguments have been made and proven about how easy it is to practice social distancing in a round of golf and about all the health benefits it brings, both mentally and physically. It is counter-production to health concerns, - especially the health of old people - to keep the golf courses shut any longer."
England Golf chief executive Jeremy Tomlinson echoed Westwood, saying the sport was hopeful of being able to convince the Government to "at the very least to bring golf back sooner, rather than later."
“It’s often said ‘golf is a good walk spoiled’ – of course, I don’t agree with the sentiment of the phrase, but when you boil it down golf really is a sporting version of a walk in the countryside," he said.

“If you reopened golf courses to allow the community of two million golfers in England to have that as a safe option for exercise, then I think that could be a huge positive in the fight against the physical and mental health issues posed by lockdown."

There are a couple of grey areas for me. One is the distance of the golf club from your house. Walkers can't just go and meet up 10 miles away for a socially distanced walk, but golfers could if the courses re-opened. Is that fair?

Secondly, people are being encouraged to stay home. Food shopping should be a less frequent event, but any time you're out in a car it encourages people to shop. I regularly pop into a petrol station to grab a few bits when I'm going to and fro the golf club.

So not about the actual bit on the golf course, but I can see why everything around the logistics of a game of golf could be construed as taking unnecessary risks.

There are a couple of grey areas for me. One is the distance of the golf club from your house. Walkers can't just go and meet up 10 miles away for a socially distanced walk, but golfers could if the courses re-opened. Is that fair?

Secondly, people are being encouraged to stay home. Food shopping should be a less frequent event, but any time you're out in a car it encourages people to shop. I regularly pop into a petrol station to grab a few bits when I'm going to and fro the golf club.

So not about the actual bit on the golf course, but I can see why everything around the logistics of a game of golf could be construed as taking unnecessary risks.

Fun sucker. :taz::yes:

let us be frank here, I own a boat, boating is a great form of isolation. BUT ITS NOT ALLOWED. Nor is golf

Muttley's answer in this thread was the smart one; he was right, all outdoor activities apart from necessary local exercise is the way forward, we have no choice the stats now are horrendous.

Muttley's answer in this thread was the smart one; he was right, all outdoor activities apart from necessary local exercise is the way forward, we have no choice the stats now are horrendous.
I estimate not going to my boat will set me back between 600 to 700 quid in repairs in the spring its not nice but I am isolating simple, I walk late at night. Dog does not care!!

Said through gritted teeth knowing we both love to ruin a good walk !!!