Brian Moore's Head | Vital Football

Brian Moore's Head

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
Having a tidy up at home and came across a few old copies of BMH from mid 90's to early 00's, including a review of 1995/96, our first season under Scally. This trip down memory lane made me realise not only how much I missed BMH, but also how much I enjoyed being a young(ish) Gills fan in that era.

Rose-tinted spectacles had me remembering that everything was wonderful at Priestfield around that time, but the various articles show there was a level of discontent among fans even then, occasional booing from fans at home games, the atmosphere at Priestfield fluctuating between silent and boisterous, scapegoat players (Marcus Browning) and the team still managing to play like a bag of spanners against lesser opposition even when riding the crest of a wave.

BMH holds up pretty well in retrospect, there were a few misses in terms of content, but the majority is well written and generally amusing. I'd forgotten we used to have a fairly spicy rivalry with Col Ewe and the fabled Scally-dome was a running joke even by the turn of the millennium.

I contributed a few articles around the time I was a S/T holder 97-01, but couldn't find any editions with my scribblings in, I wonder what mid-30's me would make of my offerings written at the age of 17. Did anyone else on here contribute to BMH and still have their collection?

Last edited:
I used to buy it regularly but didn't contribute. I found it very funny, almost like a printed version of some of the funnier threads on here so the sense if humour hasn't changed much. Mine dated back to the 80's and were quite basic in appearance but the content was great.
I still had mine until relatively recently but five house moves in ten years have probably banished them to a skip somewhere as I haven't seen them for a while.

I used to buy it regularly but didn't contribute. I found it very funny, almost like a printed version of some of the funnier threads on here so the sense if humour hasn't changed much. Mine dated back to the 80's and were quite basic in appearance but the content was great.
I still had mine until relatively recently but five house moves in ten years have probably banished them to a skip somewhere as I haven't seen them for a while.

Your missus would have given your Gills stuff to charity, that's what mine did. She won't get rid of music collectables, but anything she's not interested in has gone to good causes...

That would make an interesting read - putting together the “funnier threads on here”.

What would make it in? A War and Peace-sized book about the Chequers agreement? Forgotten hat-tricks? ILSJ and Ashley Grimes? Wayne giving ratings based on radio commentary? Nibbles’ wooshes (would be as big as the Chequers article)?

I have every BMH printed from issue 1 to 106 and kept them pristine. Most turn up on ebay every now and then. Also around at the time but harder to find now were "A Donkey's Tale" - which ran for about 5 or 6 issues, "Capital Gills" for London based fans and a 1 off fanzine which is mega scarce called "A stick of blue celery" issued for our first game in 2000/01.

Last edited:
I contributed a few times to BMH. My swansong was the Gills anagram 11 edition that I still have.
He's Real Net Shandy,
Gutsy Brute
and Shabby 'Arry
Some of my finest creative work!

Eddie Alcorn now writes regularly for the matchday program but I do miss the jollity of the fanzine.

Used to love reading it. Was better when we were really appalling on the pitch
I wrote a couple of articles but can't remember what about.

I was involved in "Capital Gills" for London based fans. We produced a monthly mag for a few years circa 1990. We even had a darts team that "competed" in a London supporters club league.

Does anyone happen to remember that?
A mate did an article slagging off David Crown (Crown Plus 2 fingers - after a paint ad of the time) only for the Gills to have signed him by the time we published!

Last edited:
I sent a letter to BMH (which was published) thanking the Cricketers for the use of their toilets on a Saturday, following Friday night vinderloo's (no longer able to eat) and relatively heavy drinking.