Brian Lomax OBE | Vital Football

Brian Lomax OBE

lindumimp

Vital Football Hero
RIP Brian,

A true gentleman and the biggest reason Rob Bradley and I got involved in the original Supporters Trust. I will never forget travelling to meet him with Rob and he inspired us both. Fantastic man, a true Cobblers supporter, but more, a supporter of football wherever it was.

Brian, you were an inspiration. :gent:

We are deeply saddened to hear that Brian Lomax OBE has passed away this morning.

Brian was the inspiration behind the Supporters’ Trust movement through his work at Northampton Town in the early 1990’s, becoming the first supporter elected director of a football club after the supporters and community rallied round to save the club in 1992.

This pioneering approach led to the Football Task Force report in 1999 recommending the widespread establishment of Supporters’ Trusts to replicate this work. Brian was instrumental in the formation of Supporters Direct for this purpose and was appointed our first Managing Director. He would later become Chair of the organisation.
In both positions and throughout SD’s existence, Brian’s skills, experience and warmth have been at the heart of our movement, and in him, we had our truly inspirational founding father.

His role in changing the way football is run was recognised with an OBE for services to the game in the same year as he stepped down as Chair, 2009.

Despite all these accolades anyone who knew Brian will remember him above all as being a kind, humble and caring man. His life touched and inspired many people, and his legacy will live on.

RIP Brian

http://www.supporters-direct.org/news-article/brian-lomax

lindumimp - 2/11/2015 22:46

RIP Brian,

A true gentleman and the biggest reason Rob Bradley and I got involved in the original Supporters Trust. I will never forget travelling to meet him with Rob and he inspired us both. Fantastic man, a true Cobblers supporter, but more, a supporter of football wherever it was.

Brian, you were an inspiration. :gent:

I wonder what he would have made of the goings on at our Trust....

And that community and Trust may well be needed again to save Northampton if recent reports are anything to go by as may ours one day. People should be careful what they wish for. And vigilant to safeguard Trusts falling into the wrong hands and not avoiding conflicts of interest.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/02/brian-lomax-supporters-direct-dies-northampton-town

They owe the builders £5 million so they'll finish building the stand but until they do no dice.