Brexit what next? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Brexit what next?

Beats me how if an election is called, anyone could vote for this shower of shit representing any party.

Each and every one of them has shoved two fingers up to the people of this country, why the hell vote for filth like them ?

My take on Brexit:

The premise of staying in the EU is coupled with the belief that the UK can reform the EU. The UK can't reform the EU with its current standing within the organization. So, all in. If you don't go all in you will wallow on the periphery without any clear direction. If you do go all in, then you face the growing federalist movement within the EU that will only become stronger as the powerhouse economies within the EU get mired in debt (they're there now) and need to completely unify the EU economy via the ECB in order to survive.

The UK isn't strong enough to do all of that and will meet with tremendous resistance.

So in my view, what the UK faces by staying in the EU is a greater obstacle than what is perceived to be the "insurmountable" repositioning of the UK in the world economy. The UK doesn't need to be strong to go out on its own, it needs to be smart. And it's there now.

The defining argument for me is while both ways will work, one of them comes with the risk of being assimilated into an organization that is light years behind the times in terms of economic thinking and, more importantly, planning. Countries mired in history and tradition that hurt progress.

The future as a quasi Singapore with many more positive attributes and the flexibility to attract, without restriction, the types of enterprises and citizens (yeah I know about the rules not being employed re. immigration) that work for the UK will be key to a prosperous future.

Boris has indicated he likes the Aussie points system. We took in approx 400,000 immigrants last year. That's more than our birth v death differential so the biggest increase contributor to our population. This has been the trend over many years .

Our towns and cities are heaving under the strain with hospitals, schools etc under pressure. House building at the affordable level is not sufficient. One school in London has 56 languages being spoken with many kids having special needs classes due to their language.

One analyst suggested culture non similarity is a problem as it forms barriers . For example Ukraine and Poland have familiarity both in lifestyle, culture and language.

Boris has indicated he likes the Aussie points system. We took in approx 400,000 immigrants last year. That's more than our birth v death differential so the biggest increase contributor to our population. This has been the trend over many years .

Our towns and cities are heaving under the strain with hospitals, schools etc under pressure. House building at the affordable level is not sufficient. One school in London has 56 languages being spoken with many kids having special needs classes due to their language.

One analyst suggested culture non similarity is a problem as it forms barriers . For example Ukraine and Poland have familiarity both in lifestyle, culture and language.

You have the tools NOW to control immigration. They just haven't been applied.

Well after the first direct confrontation between Boris and Corbin today...my initial view is...

Boris talks a good game ...is there any real substance and desire behind his rhetoric I wonder....will time tell. Can't deny his bull dog enthusiasm.....deliver and I'll be convert.

Corbin came across as vindictive and will obstruct democracy by pushing for remain. He looks second rate to me in debating terms v Boris.

He talked about many not trusting Boris at all yet I look into Corbin's eyes and I certainly DO not trust him...he says one thing re equality but he reminds me of a Hitler...only drive is to get into power then see the carnage he causes to meet his secret real agenda. (I have no basis for this opinion, just gut feel).

I will have to wait to see what delivery Boris does actually achieve....but whilst he has bulldog sprit on the face of it and in abundance ....Corbin has a shifty underhand and under the table feel ......Labour need to change their leader IMO if I ws to come back into the fold.

Funnily enough on the face of it I trust Boris more than Corbin
....and I was labour for many of my early years. He is too far left for me at my more mature age.

I think Boris is well intentioned and Corbyn isn't. Boris has a massive task ahead and I'm sure he will fail on some fronts. But he may be forgiven for some shortcomings if he can get us on the right track.

He would need another term to see his dream start to come to fruition and that may not happen. Will he get enough time, will he be allowed enough time ? Boris is talking long term goals with infrastructure, technology etc but he has some more pressing current issues to address in my view.

BREXIT
The EU citizens applying to stay in the UK post Brexit
by Niall McCarthy,
May 3, 2019

New figures released by the Home Office have revealed that more than 600,000 EU citizens have applied to stay in the UK post Brexit. The deadline for applications for settled status is December 2020 in the event of a no-deal Brexit and June 2021 if a deal is reached. The data shows that the most applications came from Romania (37,742), Italy (28,575) and Poland (28,214).

450.jpg

Niall McCarthy
Data Journalist
niall.mccarthy@statista.com+49 (40) 284 841 562

chartoftheday_17868_applications_under_the_eu_settlement_scheme_n.jpg

Italy an EU member so subject to human rights scrutiny have just closed a 4000 capacity immigration camp on Sicily. They did this by imposing a ban on rescue ships attending incoming boats laden with illegal immigrants from North Africa mainly. They also fined such boats 50,000 Euros for non approved landings.

So the coastguard sees a boat sinking off the Italian coast laden with immigrants and no rescue boat is allowed to attend. Guess what....The death rate at sea went up.

Well what next indeed.

It is blatantly obvious that Corbin will never agree to any deal. He states that when in power he will negotiate a deal but that deal will be unconstitutional as it will be a strong leaning to a remain deal.

It does not matter if you were a leaver or a remainer, the facts are that it is not democratic.

Labour and the Lib Dems and SNP want to stay and they will state any deal is bad for the country so in effect they all want to rewrite the referendum result.

I believe the only way forward is to get a peoples vote regarding a) accepting this deal or b) leave without a deal. I do not endorse an option to 'or remain' in such a vote on the grounds that it will mean we are not democratic and the inital referendum result is overturned! And worse the country would be even more divided.

I do think that Boris has played a clever trump card (no pun intended) as in effect the majority who voted to leave will vote Tory in a new election as he is the only one who wants to back leave.

At my time of life I selfishly quite frankly don't give a flying....and am sick of the wholer circus. What it has done is totally destroy my belief that elected MP's are there to represent their constituents and e.g Corbin giving the whip to say vote against the deal and Boris giving the whip to vote for it also shows how corrupt it all is. Powr corrupts and is in action as we speak.

What would be very interesting would be to direct all MPS to list and declare all their personal financial interests which are tied to 'Europe and remain' and cross reference these to their constituency being a remain or stay ...now that would be a big bag of worms indeed.

So there!

Last edited:
I dont see the distinction of a deal or no deal. We will have to have some kind of deal negotiated in the future. Whether its pre 31 st Oct or after. There is lots of fine tuning to be carried out. Its unrealistic to demand what the deal will be. Chances are it will continually change in line with world affairs. If we have no deal it wont be for long....the EU can't afford to delay trade deals with us.

Whoever you support in the next election who can honestly be comfortable with Jo Swinson or Corbin becoming PM and having to face off to Putin or Trump or any other major world leaders?
I can't. I am not a lover of Boris either but he would be the best of a bad bunch in International Negotiation.

Whoever you support in the next election who can honestly be comfortable with Jo Swinson or Corbin becoming PM and having to face off to Putin or Trump or any other major world leaders?
I can't. I am not a lover of Boris either but he would be the best of a bad bunch in International Negotiation.

I worry about our democracy with Corbyn , Swinson and Sturgeon seeking to ignore it. Boris is the only one who is trying to implement the will of the people after casting their votes. The political blocking tactics in the commons has deliberately stalled Brexit, even the speaker playing his part, it's disgusting disregard of the people they are supposed to serve....us.

Corbyn states he will sort Brexit within 6 months...but that will not be leave will it...it wil be a referendum with a campaign to remain. Jo Swinton and Sturgeon are also staunch remainers. Boris is the only one who states he wants to implement the will of the people from the last referendum...but is the deal he has struck iffy?

Corbyn states he will sort Brexit within 6 months...but that will not be leave will it...it wil be a referendum with a campaign to remain. Jo Swinton and Sturgeon are also staunch remainers. Boris is the only one who states he wants to implement the will of the people from the last referendum...but is the deal he has struck iffy?
The deal is a balance between breaking away but keeping on side to use a football analogy. A hard Brexit from the start will cause problems. A softer one with negotiating in the future is safer.

Far from it. I'd have preferred a dirty no-deal so that our borders, our trade, our fiscal policies and our foreign relationships were back in our hands - but then I have worked with the EU, understand how corrupt they are and want us finally to get away from them asap, so even I have had to look at the deal and agree that Boris has put a deal on the table that I can support.

The quicker we are away from the failing block, the better.