Brexit update... | Page 4 | Vital Football

Brexit update...

Poor owd Boris.

Just when he thinks he's got a chance of being PM, he gets a ringing endorsement from Donald Trump...

Boris thinks we should reduce taxes for people earning over £50k a year, people like him for example. If you can dazzle 'em with brilliance, chuck 'em a bribe. Well done Boris, finger on the pulse as usual...

Michael Gove is copping a lot of flack for his admission of drug taking. Personally, I think its the first mildly interesting thing we've ever heard about him. I don't want people running the country who have never messed up I want people who have lived life, made mistakes, and learned something.

Thats half the problem, on both left and right we have

Comfortable Home>School>University>Political Researcher>MP>Minister>Prime Minister.

Where about do you fit this one in <Experiencing life like a 'normal ' person for 30 years> ??

I didn't bother watching the Tories leadership debate on C4 (As Blackadder once said , 'if I want to watch vegetables, I'd have gone to a greengrocers shop' however there was one non-surprise. That cowardly fraud Boris ducked out of the whole thing, so apart from giving tax breaks to wealthy people while over 75's now have to stump up another £150 a year for their TV licence, what does he even stand for..?

So, Labour deputy leader Tom Watson has finally come out in favour of a second referendum and says the Labour party should just cancel Brexit as it was a stupid idea. Stupid idea it might be you pillock, but it was one that was supported by the majority of the people. Making such an incredible balls-up of it, and dragging it out in the hope we'll all get sick of it and change our minds appears to have been parliaments only policy. #twofacedtwats #democracymyarse

Its been nearly three months since my last words about Brexit, Much has changed since with Boris becoming PM, but I wanted to write a few more words about this weeks protests and the temporary suspension of Parliament.

'Undemocratic' I keep hearing, well, yes trying to defeat the will of the people for three years without offering alternative proposals, does seem a bit undemocratic. I understand why remainers feel so strongly, but feeling strongly doesn't make you right, and it doesn't give you the right to do all you can humanly, politically, legally and illegally do to avoid implementing the will of the people. Having people who would ignore the referendum after spending three years of doing all they could to stall it and ignore it, calling the prime minister 'undemocratic' for trying to finally force the will of the people through parliament is incredibly crass.

I've also heard that Remainers are 'being ignored', but this is also not true. They had ample opportunity to put their case, their votes were counted, there were fewer than for Leave. That's democracy for you. You can still disagree, but you do not have the right to clothe yourself in being 'right'. Winning is winning. Losing is tough sometimes, but behaving like mardy kids who want to make it best of three is another altogether.

I am still awaiting some news of positive proposals from Remain, rather than just 'being against' this or that. We have had three years in which a deal could have been made based on the Canadian Model, or the Norway model, or something else. However, MP's have done little other than try to convince the populus that the Leavers got the answer wrong, and the only way to deal with this is to jump in the time machine and try again. All the whining and fretting has just wasted the opportunity we had to get on with it.

Last edited:
This was the kind of debate I wanted to keep myself out of as I know that there is much to be said about the entire debate. There will be people on here who voted to remain, and those who voted to leave. Those who wish to come forth and print there vote is allowed to (I'm going to sit on the fence).

I can understand why remainers want to still remain in EU - its what they voted for, even if it wasn't the majority vote. They see the way it’s all been dealt with as appalling by the government.

Whereas I can see why leavers are fed up. They voted to leave and want to leave no matter what the cost. Although I personally would much rather leave with a deal than without!

In my opinion, I don’t believe that the UK Government want us to leave and never wanted the majority vote to go to leaving. In the last 3 years since the result of the vote was announced they have been going on a magical merry-go-round. May couldn’t do right for wrong no matter what deal she had on the table – the opposition would just reject it. Regardless.

The same will apply to Boris. Corbyn wants/wanted to out Boris out of his seat and he installed as a temporary PM, and recall Article 50 until a General Election can find a new PM. I believe, though I may be wrong, that they want to waste as much time as possible and eventually all agree that we cannot leave without a deal, cannot make up their minds so it’s; ‘in the best interest of the Country,’ to remain in the EU.

It is all getting ridicules and I can imagine that the rest of Europe is laughing at us. I do believe that the leave party lied to the public and that another referendum should be called – although I do agree that this would make the system undemocratic, and if the outcome was still to leave, where would we go from here as they haven’t been able to sort it out so far!

I'm pretty sure that a majority of MP's have tried to keep hitting this question of leaving/remaining in the long grass until we forget it all happened. I keep hearing, and (Kier Starmer was at it today), that we can't do this and we can't do that, but no-one on remain has a proposal other than another vote. Presumably they believe will give a clear majority to Remain, and we can forget all about the last three years. Well if we're as good at agreeing what to do in the country as they are in parliament, there'll never be a solution to it..

I'm going to comment on 'lying to the public'. I think the truth has got a bit battered and bruised on both sides, and it still is being. The claims about the contribution in terms of the NHS budget were a little misleading, but then no-one told us it would cost £40bn to be able to pick up our coat and head for the door either. No-one told us that staying in the Customs Unions, but being out of the EU would mean that we have our trade deals negotiated for us by the EU, but we have no right to have reciprocated deals. The only solution is a clean break, to go to WTO rules which after all are used in 93% of world trade. Maybe I didn't listen too much, but I thought thats what Leave meant.

There is an extraordinary level of scaremongering about Brexit, especially no-deal, based on nowt much. No doubt there will be adjustments. Things will take time to settle down, some thing may change forever for the worse and some for the better. We have to find an acceptable solution for the Irish border, but the stories of doom and disaster rank above anything that Leave had written on the side of its bus.

I believe that the EU is a sham and a lie. We joined it as a common market to aid trade and to build links to stop us having wars. We didn't join it with the intention of becoming part of a federal europe with an authoritarian and profoundly undemocratic bureaucracy at its heart. We've never been that 'close' to Europe, as our continued use of Pounds Sterling should tell you, and we should not be afraid of saying 'thanks, but no thanks' to further integrations.

Of all the things that PM's have done over the years, keeping the £££ is the best thing that they have done.

It's so simple for me, a legal choice given to the people by the MPs in Parliament and agreed by the Govenrment to be binding. A large majority (but it wouldn't matter if it was just by 1) said leave.

The £9m spend on the first of 'project fear' to give every household a definitive answer to what leave meant. Notice no mention in the booklet of a deal or no deal
just leave and we are out.

Well I want out on WTO terms asap. I also want any MP who backs remain whilst their constituents voted leave to be de-selected. (Ken Clarke and a few others can keep their jobs!)

:yes: