brexit truth. | Page 5 | Vital Football

brexit truth.

Not necessarily Waldo.
If numerous planes landed with minutes of each other at say, Malaga and five were from other Eu countries and one was from the U.K., then chances are that the U.K. passengers would get through quicker given far fewer numbers.
My friends with a hotel in Malta reckon that U.K. passengers will just be waved through on arrival at Luqa.
They are absolutely desperate for U.K. tourism to come back and will do everything to make it as easy as possible.

In 2018, we arrived on a cruise ship in Amsterdam when their immigration officers decided to test drive their post Brexit system.
It was chaos and lasted about twenty minutes before they gave up and waved everyone through.
We’ll have to wait and see. However, I do find one of your points amusing to say the least. The notion if that too many British tourists arrive at one time, they’ll just be waived through. Now turn that argument on its head. Britain is desperate to get tourism working again. Big queues build up at Heathrow and Gatwick. No worries. They’ll all be waived through by the UK Border Force, sound likely to you ? Why do you assume any EU country is less worried about its border controls to those outside the EU ?

We’ll have to wait and see. However, I do find one of your points amusing to say the least. The notion if that too many British tourists arrive at one time, they’ll just be waived through. Now turn that argument on its head. Britain is desperate to get tourism working again. Big queues build up at Heathrow and Gatwick. No worries. They’ll all be waived through by the UK Border Force, sound likely to you ? Why do you assume any EU country is less worried about its border controls to those outside the EU ?
Because I’ve been told and it’s been reported in the Times of Malta.
Absolute minimal checks, pretty much as it is now.
U.K. visitors are the majority and they will do everything possible to encourage tourists.

Bringing back control, can anyone tell me if this is correct - we are still not checking imports from the EU, but they are checking our exports to them. If so, what are we letting in (do we have any idea) and if we don't we sound like a third world banana republic?

It’s light touch checking RG.
Most of our imports have no checks but the occasional one does and is held up for a few days.
Fortunately for us, it’s not time sensitive.
Full checks where due to begin in October but the government have kicked that further down the road and will continue checking Eu imports as they do from other third countries, I.E. random checks.
U.K. customs have never done 100% checks.
Nothing banana republic about it.
It would be physically impossible.
So, the U.K. will continue with a sensible approach
The Eu are being over zealous checking far more from the U.K. than other third countries but that’s down to them.
They have the right to do it and are.
As to why?
Well I think we all know the reason for that.

Bringing back control, can anyone tell me if this is correct - we are still not checking imports from the EU, but they are checking our exports to them. If so, what are we letting in (do we have any idea) and if we don't we sound like a third world banana republic?
How many times........

The EU is not behaving proportionately - or with equivalence to other "third countries".

When HMRC were asked.....(in 2017, 2018 etc)
When Customs Brokers were asked....
.....by relevant House of Commons Select Committees.....

Around 1% of imports are physically inspected#.
This can be less from trusted sources (maybe 0.5% from USA/Canada) to 5% from South America - maybe 50% from some Pacific Island !
(#"checks" are made on the electronic "paperwork" submitted beforehand)

The decision whether to inspect a shipment is based on "risk factors", e.g.
- mis-labelling (for Duty avoidance)
- counterfeit
- quality concerns
- smuggling
- weapons

Look at any of the many "Border Force" TV programmes# and the Officials have to decide who or what to inspect.
Legally, they can inspect anything.
(# incl. EU-based Ireland and Poland)

Unless we think that EU-based suppliers are deliberately making non-compliant stuff - and directing it to the UK....
...why should we start inspecting more than we used to ?

Apparently the EU would also normally inspect around 1% of imports from "third countries" - with similar variance based on the trustworthiness of the source.

Surely the Question should be....
Why is the EU treating the UK differently from other "civilised" (regulated) third countries ?
(And many of us suspect we know the answer.)

It’s light touch checking RG.
Most of our imports have no checks but the occasional one does and is held up for a few days.
Fortunately for us, it’s not time sensitive.
Full checks where due to begin in October but the government have kicked that further down the road and will continue checking Eu imports as they do from other third countries, I.E. random checks.
U.K. customs have never done 100% checks.
Nothing banana republic about it.
It would be physically impossible.
So, the U.K. will continue with a sensible approach
The Eu are being over zealous checking far more from the U.K. than other third countries but that’s down to them.
They have the right to do it and are.
As to why?
Well I think we all know the reason for that.
What he said .....:oops:

There are currently more customs checks between the U.K. mainland and Northern Ireland ( on behalf of the Eu) than conducted in the massive international port of Rotterdam.
This is because Boris Johnson signed up to the Withdrawal Agreement which moved the border between to countries to an internal U.K. border, all without the U.K. or Eu actually asking the people it affects.
Quite unbelievable.

To implement the level of checks on Eu imports that they are putting on U.K. exports would be counter productive and would literally be cutting off your nose to spite your face simply to make a political point.
Hopefully we are passed that and have moved on, five years down the road.

As ever, any course of action or strategy will have a dual effect.

Yes, over zealous EU checks, causing delays, will affect UK exports but it will also affect the EU importers, i.e those that want the goods. Some will be raw materials and will therefore also hold up EU manufacturers completing products.

I always thought spot checks, as undertaken by UK customs, was a pretty sensible and cost effective strategy but then we do not have a non negotiable "integrity" that casts all common sense and practicality aside.

As ever, any course of action or strategy will have a dual effect.

Yes, over zealous EU checks, causing delays, will affect UK exports but it will also affect the EU importers, i.e those that want the goods. Some will be raw materials and will therefore also hold up EU manufacturers completing products.

I always thought spot checks, as undertaken by UK customs, was a pretty sensible and cost effective strategy but then we do not have a non negotiable "integrity" that casts all common sense and practicality aside.
I fully understand the need that the Eu think they have to protect the integrity of their single market, which is exactly why the border should be between the two countries on the island of Ireland.

or have a united country (Ireland and NI) purely for trade purposes as NI voted against Brexit.
I’d willingly hand over NI to Ireland in a heartbeat if the majority who live there want it.
I expect that the majority of English people would as well, as they would with Scotland.
All talk about Scotland and independence whereas it’s probably the English who could do with independence from them.

I’d willingly hand over NI to Ireland in a heartbeat if the majority who live there want it.
I expect that the majority of English people would as well, as they would with Scotland.
All talk about Scotland and independence whereas it’s probably the English who could do with independence from them.

The establishment in London would hand over Ulster in a heartbeat. Though I doubt in truth the Republic want it. The UDA UVF et al would commence protests immediately, and people such as the Shankill Butchers will be active again. This time it will be up to the Irish armed forces and the Garda Siochona to handle it, good luck to them.

I am not sure how they divide and calculate it, but I am sure I heard that the rest of the UK bails out the NI economy each year to the tune if £10 billion plus.

Would Dublin be willing to take that on? I'd be surprised if they were.

Devolution gives NI and Scotland the best of both worlds but if they were independent and had to pay all their own bills, things might be different.

I am not sure how they divide and calculate it, but I am sure I heard that the rest of the UK bails out the NI economy each year to the tune if £10 billion plus.

Would Dublin be willing to take that on? I'd be surprised if they were.

Devolution gives NI and Scotland the best of both worlds but if they were independent and had to pay all their own bills, things might be different.
And don’t forget the leaving fee.
The precedent has been set.

Agree with you on that one. If they get Independence they won't be able to blame us any more. They will have virtually no money unless they open up oilfields. Their Green "mates" would love that.

Unlike the supporters of indepdence in Scotland and Wales or the Republicans in Ireland (both north and south of the border), in addition to a lot of remainers throughout the UK, I think people in England would respect a democractic vote, if the majority of Northern Ireland voted for a united Ireland. However, at present, that isn't the case and I, as a fan of Boris, think he and the government have treated the good British people of Northern Ireland terribly. However, I also think the disingenuous power grab from the Republic or Ireland and EU and lack of respect for the sovereignty of Northern Ireland as part of the UK has been disgusting.