brexit truth. | Page 11 | Vital Football

brexit truth.

what were the ones that were so unbearable to us ?

What have we been saved from? Why is my life better for it ?

I'm after specifics not generic statements

It really doesn’t make much difference on an individual daily basis.
The bigger picture is that the U.K. taxpayer will no longer be responsible for the funding of Eu projects.
Our government will decide what your tax quid is spent on and if you don’t like it, then vote them out.
As I’ve said, I used to have a place in Malta and trust me, you couldn’t move for signs saying financed by the Eu (U.K.)
I know a guy who had a dive centre in Sliema who had his entire building refurbished because it was of historical interest. I.E. we paid for it.
The lift from the port to the city in Valletta was 80% financed by the Eu (U.K.)
Most of the upgraded road network was Eu (U.K.) financed.
The bloody Aquarium was Eu financed.
We constantly complain about lack of funding while simultaneously giving billions in aid to Europe. That’s now stopped and it’s all on our politicians with nowhere to hide anymore.

Last edited:
I agree with your last point
With your other points are you essentially saying we took back control of our borders to reduce the number of EU people working here without checking that the indigenous population would pick up the slack on the same conditions or ensuring we had sufficient suitably qualified people in the case of HGV drivers ?

Good question. The point I am always making about free movement is that I have never seen any problem with a visa and work permit system instead. That allows us to effectively turn the labour tap on and off so the population does not overheat.

Even with free movement, you can not guarantee that you have enough workers, qualified or otherwise, as they have to be willing to come here and, logically, you will always be competing with all the other EU countries. There are sometimes other reasons why people can not come over, like border control in a pandemic.

In fact, with a visa and/or work permit system, if the EU applicants drop, we can now accept more workers from other parts of the world, and assess the numbers required to keep the economy healthy and balanced. That is just one example of control.

Last edited:
So if we had decided to do that you are saying the EU would have forced us to resume the trade ?
The source of the article may have a bias on the topic

I would suspect that, if we had put a stop to it in the past, one of those involved in the trade would have taken the government to the ECJ who would have applied EU law which, if that article is correct, would have found in their favour.

When Gove gets the new UK law passed, we can stop it. Again, control and self determination.

I would suspect that, if we had put a stop to it in the past, one of those involved in the trade would have taken the government to the ECJ who would have applied EU law which, if that article is correct, would have found in their favour.

When Gove gets the new UK law passed, we can stop it. Again, control and self determination.

Thanks so technically could have and we will never know if they would have. The PR would have reflected badly on them

I have no inclination to research it but I could guess that the EU legislation covers the rules to be followed IF you move live animals throughout the bloc rather than a requirement that you MUST move live animals across the bloc.

I might be wrong though.

Thanks so technically could have and we will never know if they would have. The PR would have reflected badly on them

I have no inclination to research it but I could guess that the EU legislation covers the rules to be followed IF you move live animals throughout the bloc rather than a requirement that you MUST move live animals across the bloc.

I might be wrong though.
Had the U.K. blocked live animal exports while a member, then U.K. farmers would have been within their rights to contest it in the Eu court.
So, technically we could have, but it may not have been legal.
Similarly with vaccine procurement.
Technically any Eu country ‘could’ have sourced their own supply, as we did, however none did.
Germany considered it but Brussels talked them down.

Good question. The point I am always making about free movement is that I have never seen any problem with a visa and work permit system instead. That allows us to effectively turn the labour tap on and off so the population does not overheat.

Even with free movement, you can not guarantee that you have enough workers, qualified or otherwise, as they have to be willing to come here and, logically, you will always be competing with all the other EU countries. There are sometimes other reasons why people can not come over, like border control in a pandemic.

In fact, with a visa and/or work permit system, if the EU applicants drop, we can now accept more workers from other parts of the world, and assess the numbers required to keep the economy healthy and balanced. That is just one example of control.

Is it true that there are supposedly millions of eu nationals who have stayed. An equal amount of non eu nationals and illegal immigrants.
Yet supposedly we have a shortage and need more immigrants.

this is just hiding the real situation where there is a lack of forward planning or thinking, a lack of training and poor pay and work conditions.

Sort those problems out asap. Arguing over visas and immigration numbers just lets the government and employers an excuse for the problems they have created.

Is it true that there are supposedly millions of eu nationals who have stayed. An equal amount of non eu nationals and illegal immigrants.
Yet supposedly we have a shortage and need more immigrants.

this is just hiding the real situation where there is a lack of forward planning or thinking, a lack of training and poor pay and work conditions.

Sort those problems out asap. Arguing over visas and immigration numbers just lets the government and employers an excuse for the problems they have created.
Absolutely Jerry.
It’s down to poor government and poor planning.
There is a skilled worker list that allows expedited visas.
It must be pretty simple to expand the list.
Being against free movement is not being anti worker or anti immigrant.
If the country needs them, then bring them in.
That was the whole point.
I would add that migrant workers deserve much better treatment than they have received previously.
Britain, France, Spain and Germany have literally got fat on the exploitation of Eastern European and African migrant workers.

Just off the top of my head....

Seem to be less massive foreign trucks spewing out diesel fumes on the M20 to deliver "vital" supplies like mushrooms, tomatoes and flowers.

Unnecessary membership fees, to pay an unnecessary extra army of bureaucrats laying out dictats of what we can and can not do, in the process of being stopped.

An actual say in how many workers can work and settle in this country at a time when unemployment may have risen due to a little thing like a pandemic.

A little unimportant old fashioned thing called self determination, really.

Partly true, but this country's lack of self-sufficiency and the hollowing out of our manufacturing industry- not to mention the decimation of our agricultural sector in Great Britain because farmers have found that its more lucrative to get developers to build housing on your land rather than rear cattle, grow crops etc- was always why Brexit was never going to be a painless or beneficial experience.

what were the ones that were so unbearable to us ?

What have we been saved from? Why is my life better for it ?

I'm after specifics not generic statements
Right back at the start of Trashbat's epic thread someone posted a long list of laws and there weren't any I disagreed with. Ok, I accept some other people may have objected to some but there was a mantra that the laws were bad but people complaining on radio phone ins could never mention specifics in spite of being outraged.

I did hear one woman finally come out with not being able to be served fish and chips in old newspaper because of 'elf'n safe tea' laws.