Brexit rolls on... | Page 23 | Vital Football

Brexit rolls on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you having a laugh? You came on here and started the racist trope, then have a go when you are called out on it.

Oh dear.
What was I called out on?

I don't understand what you're saying? I haven't been called out, I haven't called anyone here racist, and I'm not having a go.

What happened here is i continue to make the point that there is a link between Brexit and racism, as evidenced by all the the racist groups that support Brexit, and you seem determined to pick on tiny details to distract from the point because you don't have an actual answer to it and yet are offended by the idea.

You put 'all racists voted for Brexit"
Why are you back peddling?
Once again, I was generalizing because its impossible to have evidence on all racists.

Why are you so determined to play down the link that is obviously there?

Why would you be so interested in individual words instead of the larger, more important point?

Its interesting isn't it?

You put 'all racists voted for Brexit"
Why are you back peddling?
Maybe because you correctly pointed out that he couldn't say with absolute certainty that every single racist in Britain voted for Brexit. So he accepted your finicky point and took a more nuanced line that all the major groups of racists he could find were aligned with Brexit. Had the EDL, etc been staunch remainers then his argument would have been torpedoed but, sadly, that isn't the case. I'd be surprised if you could support any argument you might have that racists were evenly divided on the subject, as though racism was uncorrelated with referendum voting.

I'm also surprised with your argument against Erasmus, Strettea.
Is your main concern that we were too attractive as a country and our universities had to endure more foreign students on our soil that other nations had to endure our students, or just that the scheme was too expensive? Or that our students tended to want to go to Australia and the US?

I can buy the financial argument so long as the numbers add up but I cannot fathom the rest.
What efforts have been made by the government to replace the well-loved scheme with an alternative? I'll guess none. Which means our students now have less choice and opportunity than they did before. Yay, brexit - knocking it out of the park since 2016!

Sorry strettea red but I really wish people would engage more honestly with their own beliefs.
Despite what you think is a good 'gotcha' post about Momentum and antisemitism, I made a post last week about how I personally struggle with whether or not my own views align with those of antisemitics and whether that makes me vulnerable to sliding into antisemitism myself. Its the only honest way to think about modern day leftism.

In the same way, the ideology behind Brexit and general anti-immigration stances are not racist in themselves, but align very closely with the views of racists, and its something that the non racist Brexit voters should be aware of, instead of playing silly semantic games to avoid thinking about it honestly.

Sorry strettea red but I really wish people would engage more honestly with their own beliefs.
Despite what you think is a good 'gotcha' post about Momentum and antisemitism, I made a post last week about how I personally struggle with whether or not my own views align with those of antisemitics and whether that makes me vulnerable to sliding into antisemitism myself. Its the only honest way to think about modern day leftism.

In the same way, the ideology behind Brexit and general anti-immigration stances are not racist in themselves, but align very closely with the views of racists, and its something that the non racist Brexit voters should be aware of, instead of playing silly semantic games to avoid thinking about it honestly.

I think we are stating roughly the same thing. We know Millwall has an element of racist thugs who support them, but I wouldn't say all racist football fans support Millwall, but it is a logical conclusion that their reputation may attract that element. Likewise I actually agree that, as sold by some, Brexit was an anti-immigration vote, which will naturally attract the racist element. But, and this is a salient point, people can be anti-immigration and not racist.
Brexit has been very successful at stereotyping a huge swathe of the population with a huge amount of partiality and anecdote.

I think we are stating roughly the same thing. We know Millwall has an element of racist thugs who support them, but I wouldn't say all racist football fans support Millwall, but it is a logical conclusion that their reputation may attract that element. Likewise I actually agree that, as sold by some, Brexit was an anti-immigration vote, which will naturally attract the racist element. But, and this is a salient point, people can be anti-immigration and not racist.
Brexit has been very successful at stereotyping a huge swathe of the population with a huge amount of partiality and anecdote.

I actually think much of the 'Brexit voters are all racist' thing is simple classism. Liberal ideology doesn't leave much room for the working class having their own political opinions and they often get labelled stupid racists, despite the working classes often being stuck with all the worst consequences of mass immigration (for example) without seeing any of the economic or cultural benefits it brings.

This is why I have to laugh when one of the arguments about Brexit is 'what if i want to go and live in another country', when many of the people voting for Brexit will never get the opportunity to even visit another country on holiday.

None of this is the point i was trying to make though. I just think that in executing Brexit, all policy should be tailored around getting what is best for our country without pandering to racists, because that can only lead down a dark path, and its one that we are in danger of indulging as a country.

Status
Not open for further replies.