Brexit Over | Vital Football

Brexit Over

Galaxy42

Vital Football Hero
For all those worried about the consequences for football

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37857785

Looks like it'll need an MP vote to invoke article 50, which probably means staying in.

It will still go ahead, ill wager the price of a season ticket with a couple of folk if they think otherwise.

Not commenting on Brexit or whether we will stay or go as a result of this.

However, surely everyone is happy that parliament has got some sovereignty over this? Isn't this what everyone (except those for whom it was all about immigration) was fighting for? Our own parliament making decisions over our future?

Only tyrants and wannabe dictators should be upset about this (see May and Fox who are going to appeal AGAINST the people's representatives making decisions for Britain).

This is fine as long as every mp representing a remain constituency votes against and every mp representing a leave constituency votes to invoke.

We live in a democracy, respect the will of the people.

Skip_4 - 3/11/2016 11:40

This is fine as long as every mp representing a remain constituency votes against and every mp representing a leave constituency votes to invoke.

:14:

Skip_4 - 3/11/2016 03:40

:19: :19: :19: :19: :19: :19:

MP respecting the will of the people!

:19: :19: :19: :19: :19: :19:

The mps should vote with their consciences and be voted out next time if that's what their constituents think is right. That's what you all said brexit was about, right?

in_the_top_one - 3/11/2016 11:10

Not commenting on Brexit or whether we will stay or go as a result of this.

However, surely everyone is happy that parliament has got some sovereignty over this? Isn't this what everyone (except those for whom it was all about immigration) was fighting for? Our own parliament making decisions over our future?

Only tyrants and wannabe dictators should be upset about this (see May and Fox who are going to appeal AGAINST the people's representatives making decisions for Britain).

17 million people voted to leave. Anything else is not democracy. My family fought in two world wars to stop idiot dictators like Juncker (who couldn't even win an election in Luxumburg) from running our country. We should be free to elect our own idiots.

Misleading thread title. Brexit is not over. It is going through parliament, which its supposed to do and was supposed to do from the start. This isn't new or rehashed, it isn't a tactic to block Brexit (it could happen though as is the right of parliament) and it certainly isn't the end of the Brexit train.

Seems to me that too many ill informed people are crying over an apparent lack of democracy without realising that Today's decision is preserving it. You wanted sovereignty back, well here it is.

The irony of comments from the people complaining today is not lost on me.

FeNris - 3/11/2016 19:26

Misleading thread title. Brexit is not over. It is going through parliament, which its supposed to do and was supposed to do from the start. This isn't new or rehashed, it isn't a tactic to block Brexit (it could happen though as is the right of parliament) and it certainly isn't the end of the Brexit train.

Seems to me that too many ill informed people are crying over an apparent lack of democracy without realising that Today's decision is preserving it. You wanted sovereignty back, well here it is.

The irony of comments from the people complaining today is not lost on me.[/QUOTE

The referendum question surely was quite clear? "Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union?”

The responses would be ‘Yes’ / ‘No’

The question is very clear in my view. As the question was agreed in parliament by a 6:1 majority by our elected MP's, I don't see any reason to go back and ask the question again. Parliament gave its authority to the voting public (those entitled to vote) 52% voted to leave, 48% voted to stay. Those that did not vote or spoilt their papers simply abdicated their futures to the majority.

We have never had a referendum vote to enter the EEC or the EU as is today or any of the subsequent treaties, it has been done by royal prerogative. If leaving by royal prerogative isn't good enough, surely that means it wasn't good enough to tie us in in the first place.

It is hugely niaive to Think that we should publicly announce ever step of negotiations, clearly using that tactic we'd loose a game of poker, which these negotiations are akin to.

:18: :18:

Lienking - 3/11/2016 17:38

17 million people voted to leave. Anything else is not democracy. My family fought in two world wars to stop idiot dictators like Juncker (who couldn't even win an election in Luxumburg) from running our country. We should be free to elect our own idiots.

16 million voted to stay and several million denied the right to vote.. i think its shit if either side celebrate, in fact deplorable. 17million is nowhere near speaking for us all,