Brexit Day! | Page 96 | Vital Football

Brexit Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the realisation of how we've (well some of us) have been blindsided will become clear over the coming weeks. Democracy is under threat based on recent revelations and government responses.

Durham police have now said he was wrong.

Maybe she jumped the gun, maybe, but that's the worst possible reading of her actions.

Rightly so. The BBC is not the place for opinion. Maitlis is a very good journo, clever lady and not too shabby to look at either, but you can't do that on the BBC.
Just so we're all clear, the BBC allows Laura Kuenssberg to be a Tory spokesperson and Andrew Neil to bully journalists like Carole Cadwalladr. But the minute a presenter like Emily Maitlis says basic facts, or Naga Munchetty talks about racism, they beg the right for forgiveness. One rule for all?

Just so we're all clear, the BBC allows Laura Kuenssberg to be a Tory spokesperson and Andrew Neil to bully journalists like Carole Cadwalladr. But the minute a presenter like Emily Maitlis says basic facts, or Naga Munchetty talks about racism, they beg the right for forgiveness. One rule for all?

That's you biased opinion.

That is the exception rather than the rule.

By all means explain how Brexit has directly resulted in this happening

Besides, we are all in for a penny or a pound now. I genuinely hope it's the sunlit uplands you reckon it will be

Brexit hasn't caused this to happen, but like all the other doom and gloom stories we were told the car companies would up sticks and leave. In this case the opposite appears to be happening.

Told not joining the euro would wreck the economy. The opposite happened.
Told simply voting leave would lose hundreds of thousands of jobs. Didn't happen.
We were told no planes would fly when we Brexit.
WE have been told thousands of jobs will move abroad. Some will but hasn't started to happen on any scale.
Massive queues at the ports ? Don't know yet.

The EU has come up with a financial package to help their economies. Has to be approved by all 27 countries. Won't happen till at least spring next year even if all goes to plan. They give more money to countries (as a percentage of gdp) that have had little impact from covid, but give less to Italy. A lot of it will be loans, putting the poorer countries even further in debt. At least we can now make our own plans.

Brexit hasn't caused this to happen, but like all the other doom and gloom stories we were told the car companies would up sticks and leave. In this case the opposite appears to be happening.

Told not joining the euro would wreck the economy. The opposite happened.
Told simply voting leave would lose hundreds of thousands of jobs. Didn't happen.
We were told no planes would fly when we Brexit.
WE have been told thousands of jobs will move abroad. Some will but hasn't started to happen on any scale.
Massive queues at the ports ? Don't know yet.

The EU has come up with a financial package to help their economies. Has to be approved by all 27 countries. Won't happen till at least spring next year even if all goes to plan. They give more money to countries (as a percentage of gdp) that have had little impact from covid, but give less to Italy. A lot of it will be loans, putting the poorer countries even further in debt. At least we can now make our own plans.
You've said a million times the trope that "we were told not joining the Euro would ruin the economy".

Who told you that?

Who said no planes would fly after Brexit?

You do realise that the actual consequential bit of leaving hasn't happened yet don't you?

That is the exception rather than the rule.

By all means explain how Brexit has directly resulted in this happening

Besides, we are all in for a penny or a pound now. I genuinely hope it's the sunlit uplands you reckon it will be

OK. I'll agree to say that Nissan and their decision to stay in the UK post Brexit has nothing to do with Brexit; even though all the (unfounded) arguments for them leaving was solely about Brexit. Provided that any large multinational firm that leaves the UK to base manufacturing, services, etc somewhere else, also has nothing to do with Brexit.
That would only be equitable.

OK. I'll agree to say that Nissan and their decision to stay in the UK post Brexit has nothing to do with Brexit; even though all the (unfounded) arguments for them leaving was solely about Brexit. Provided that any large multinational firm that leaves the UK to base manufacturing, services, etc somewhere else, also has nothing to do with Brexit.
That would only be equitable.
It wouldn't be though would it?

You are looking at Nissan shutting a factory in Spain, nudging and winking and saying "Brexit". Without any explanation of what the connection is. If you want to laud Nissan leaving their Sunderland factory open despite Brexit then feel free to do so. But you will need an explanation from them of how Brexit has made Britain a more attractive prospect than Europe; that is the point of and message behind Brexit isn't it?

We've already seen firms fail (IIRC a motorbike one run by a Brexiteer happened just before CV kicked off), talk about leaving or leave due to Brexit. We have just lost our status as the capital of foreign investment, to the French; a status we held for 20 years.

A couple of articles here list some of the companies that have left the UK or collapsed because of Brexit. Some of the examples have links that the papers only assume are there, so can be discounted; but many of these have statements by the companies clearly saying Brexit (or "Brexit uncertainty") was behind their actions.

Metro Sept 2019

Indy Feb 2019

You might find this one interesting from Bloomberg; they keep a Brexit tracker of British companies and how they are faring. This one included those who have reported benefits from it, but in numerical terns it is quite stark. Have a look;

Bloomberg Brexit tracker

I'm looking for sunlit uplands Strettea, and sniggering about a factory closing in Spain that I didn't even know existed isn't really what I had in mind.

A truly horrible bloke on the radio yesterday was lambasting a BBC presenter for talking about Dominic Cummings and not this factory closing in Spain. His argument was that the if the factory closing had been in Britain the BBC would have made it the main story. I sat there as incredulous at the stupidity as the presenter was.

Status
Not open for further replies.