Brexit Day! | Page 23 | Vital Football

Brexit Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldnt it be nice if people ignored the labels stamped on people and actually listened to what they say. Sadly i think you are right to large extent. Does suggest you cant be working class if you have ambition.

Wasn’t Gordon Brown the first and only Prime Minister who went to uni who didn’t go to Oxbridge, then look how many old Etonians have been PM, doesn’t matter how much you do as working class person you’ll always have labels stamped on you.

In my experience it's more that if you have ambition the working class no longer accept you as one of them
What you are saying then ( and I agree by the way) that the term working class is one of derision? New definitions are probably needed when describing sections of the population in that case.

What you are saying then ( and I agree by the way) that the term working class is one of derision? New definitions are probably needed when describing sections of the population in that case.
Not sure "working class" means much anymore in a country that doesn't have anywhere near full employment. What do we call the families who do not work for what ever reason?

Media and marketing use the A B C1 C2 D E chart. This is fairly archaic and far from perfect but the classic C2 D E group is largely the one I am talking about in most of this thread

My background is working class and I was the first ever member of either side of the family to go to university. Some members of the family were absolutely delighted and really wanted me to succeed. Others hated the thought and pretty much thought I was a traitor and a snob.

Some utterly bizarre reactions if I am honest and 25 years later some of them still won’t talk to me.

Seems to be a very English thing to want someone to do ok but not too well...

Not sure "working class" means much anymore in a country that doesn't have anywhere near full employment. What do we call the families who do not work for what ever reason?

Media and marketing use the A B C1 C2 D E chart. This is fairly archaic and far from perfect but the classic C2 D E group is largely the one I am talking about in most of this thread

The underclass?

Just had a chat with some Welsh fella I know about all the flooding

Inevitably it turned into a conversation about the EU and how much Wales had benefited from being in it and how much they are going to be fooked when we are out

But its that same thing over and over again with leave voters thier eyes glaze over and they cannot name one EU law that has affected them negatively ( because there are non )

The only way I can rationalise it is that it is like people who cant read burning down libraries

Last edited:
It always makes me smile when some of you fellows start to discuss education, various unis, Oxford and Cambridge etc, just some of you, not all. I've always held the view that a uni education just may prove you have brains but doesn't mean you know how to use them. And some of the people I've known who have had the benefit of a uni education I've considered to be complete idiots. Conversely some of the people with the opposite background have been the complete opposite.
It's interesting that years ago very few folk could afford the luxury of a uni education no matter how bright. On top of that there was always the requirement to help out with home living expenses.
The situation over here with regard to a uni qualification these days is that there's no guarantee of a job to follow and a proportion of these people end up serving cups of coffee or the equivalent. And having a good whinge, not that it helps. And the proportion continues to grow.

Takes all sorts though and continues to be interesting.

It always makes me smile when some of you fellows start to discuss education, various unis, Oxford and Cambridge etc, just some of you, not all. I've always held the view that a uni education just may prove you have brains but doesn't mean you know how to use them. And some of the people I've known who have had the benefit of a uni education I've considered to be complete idiots. Conversely some of the people with the opposite background have been the complete opposite.
It's interesting that years ago very few folk could afford the luxury of a uni education no matter how bright. On top of that there was always the requirement to help out with home living expenses.
The situation over here with regard to a uni qualification these days is that there's no guarantee of a job to follow and a proportion of these people end up serving cups of coffee or the equivalent. And having a good whinge, not that it helps. And the proportion continues to grow.

Takes all sorts though and continues to be interesting.
You are conflating education with intelligence.

I'll give you another example

A contractor who works in the team has been employed for the last 18 months he earns over £350hr and is currently working via an umbrella company called Parasol and flies in from Holland as that is where he lives

He's an old boy, ex navy, and is married to a dutch women who he freely admits that he was lucky to meet due to freedom of movement

Anyway, cannot remember the exact time and dates but he had started moaning about how bad the exchange rate had become and how much less he was getting once his money was being converted in the Euro

Now get this he's a Leave voting fanatic ( and also a full on Tory Boy ) like most of the military

I point the obvious about his wife, where he lives and the obvious about how the exchange rate is going to get much much worse

He does that thing where he cannot see how they are related

Its a full on functioning cult

I've even had conversations with him about how the Tories have decimated our military and in particular the Navy and also how there are now over 10,000 ex military on the streets most with PTSD and most of these have come in the last 10 years during austerity and the Tory govt

Or that they have cut military wages on average by thousands

Now my thing is you would have thought being ex military you hear all about how they see each other as brothers , family and they would do anything to help each other out

So why the fuck would he say he would only ever vote for the Tories even after I have told him these things

The control the media has on the populace is incredible and even for someone like this who is an immigrant in another country, sorry I don't do that "ex pat" fucking bullshit

Now get this he's a Leave voting fanatic ( and also a full on Tory Boy ) like most of the military

Define most of the military?
I would argue it certainly isn’t all Tory, leave voting fanatics.
Again it’s not so much the strength of Toryism but the perceived weakness of a alleged terrorist sympathising, trident removing opposition leader.

don’t blame the Tories or leave voters, blame the rest of us for not winning the argument.

You would expect those to have served in the military to know something about the military. Likewise those working in the NHS to know something about NHS. Education, education and business, business but it is always the Murdoch press. Which has a dwindling readership/viewing. Still blame them. See Newscorp is up for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.