Brexit Day! | Page 110 | Vital Football

Brexit Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's in Starmer's interest to not scratch at the Brexit wound and keep it open.
If he wants to get into No10, he will have to shake his reputation as a remainer, or 'The Red Wall' will keep its tepid blue hue for longer than he needs.
Will they?

But sad when Brexit is finished and we are talking about 4 years time and something he is no longer talking about.

What happened to all these calls from Brexiteers to come together as a country?

If that is what Brexiteers want, why would they be so tribal about it so far in the future?

Starmer's biding his time with the Brexit issue. He'll bring it back before the year's out.

Not specifically disagreeing with the point, but it's worth pointing out how big a fiddle jobs figures are, especially if you are comparing to distant decades.

New Labour were the first big champions of taking large groups out of unemployment figures and putting them in different figures to make unemployment look better than it was. If you are over a certain age, you are in this stat instead; you are not in the official stats at all unless you are claiming jobseekers, etc

The Tories have continued this finagling and added their pointless rule that 16-18 year olds must stay on at school or be in training; this has taken a few more tens of thousands off the unemployment figures and was done for that purpose.

So comparing any post 1997 unemployment stats to pre-1997 is not especially helpful.

Just to be clear. The Tories extended school leaving from 16 to 18 so they could take tens of thousands off unemployment figures?

Great idea, but as an urban society, the Hong Kong migrants will not be able to fill as many of the skills gaps as the EU migrants, but you would expect the education levels to be similar, if not higher from the Hong Kong migrants.

Many of those Hong Kong migrants to which you refer would have had a good Uni education. We see a lot of them here in Sydney. Not at the moment though.

And we have a clever Govt now, if you work as little as 1 hour a week you're classified as being employed. Keeps our unemployed figure down to aprox 5%.

Just to be clear. The Tories extended school leaving from 16 to 18 so they could take tens of thousands off unemployment figures?

Or to word it in a non-partisan way, to prevent 16 year old school leavers with low academic qualifications being left to rot in a society that cares little for them.
Leaving at that age only if you have a job/apprenticeship seems very sensible for many reasons.

Will they?

But sad when Brexit is finished and we are talking about 4 years time and something he is no longer talking about.

What happened to all these calls from Brexiteers to come together as a country?

If that is what Brexiteers want, why would they be so tribal about it so far in the future?

It's not about being tribal. It's about having any trust for a bloke who calls for a second referendum to try and overturn a decision we were promised would be implemented. This tribal business makes me laugh. I wonder how many of the Labour supporters on here have voted for anyone else ? Most of my life I've voted Labour. Certainly up to the Tony Blair era, think I voted for Gordon Brown , but not sure on that one. Depends on the election, but it's only over the last ten years or so I've voted Tory, Liberal, UKIP, Brexit Party. I vote for who I think will get the country what I want, a decision made easier by the likes of Ed Miliband, Corbyn and now Starmer.

Where are the BBC headlines on Labour MP Barry Gardiner mixing with hundreds of people ? Should it not be the main news item for the next seven days ?

Rather ironic that when we could do with a strong centre party, the centre party blows itself up by calling to overturn the referendum it demanded in the first place, the Labour Party turns into the Communist Party, and the Tories have sidelined many of their best people because they won't implement what we voted for.

Last edited:
Agree with most of that but lets not forget legacy costs. At a time when the planet surely to god needs more cooperation than ever before brexit has destroyed trust and goodwill.

Britain will be 'ok' as you say, given enough time to repair. Hardly a sunny fooking upland though.

Ultimately i no longer care as i am stepping up plans to leave. So long and thanks for all the fish

You know my plans, although this virus has thrown a few spanner’s in the works, I will work round them, although the timescale might slip.

I don’t see any signs of a restoration of goodwill amongst the population, this pandemic as just added to it. The resentment amongst different age groups, regions of the country, ethnic groups, class groups is still there and probably widening.
Great for those who need discontent, or the Government as they are known.

A no deal will be the cherry on top of all this and if Boris and co want that, who is to stop them?
Will they have an alternative plan to replace the EU trade deal or will we rely on a defunct Iceland/Norway deal and the Faroe Islands liking for Whisky?

The worry is that political purity is more important for this government than national benefit.

You know my plans, although this virus has thrown a few spanner’s in the works, I will work round them, although the timescale might slip.

I don’t see any signs of a restoration of goodwill amongst the population, this pandemic as just added to it. The resentment amongst different age groups, regions of the country, ethnic groups, class groups is still there and probably widening.
Great for those who need discontent, or the Government as they are known.

A no deal will be the cherry on top of all this and if Boris and co want that, who is to stop them?
Will they have an alternative plan to replace the EU trade deal or will we rely on a defunct Iceland/Norway deal and the Faroe Islands liking for Whisky?

The worry is that political purity is more important for this government than national benefit.

I'm not to sure Feco. The vitriol, anger, resentment and hatred is there, but social media does amplify this, as people spend more time in an echo chamber of their own choosing online, than in real life.
The most resent example of this was the #youthquake before the last GE, everyone was convinced Corbyn would return a majority.

I see far more hatred and division online, than out and about.

Last edited:
I'm not to sure Feco. The vitriol, anger, resentment and hatred is there, but social media does amplify this, as people spend more time in an echo chamber of their own choosing online, than in real life.
The most resent example of this was the #youthquake before the last GE, everyone was convinced Corbyn would return a majority.

I see far more hatred and division online, than out and about.

I don’t disagree with that, but as Social Media now dominates ‘real life’ and those disagreements are widely held, I think the divisions within society are unlikely to heal anytime soon.
I guess you can say that social media allows people to be their real selves, but with the benefit of being anonymous.
People undoubtedly tone down their views and language when the anonymity is gone and they have to be responsible for their actions.
Obviously I’m referring to normal people, not politicians, who can say what they like with no fear of reprisal.

It's not about being tribal. It's about having any trust for a bloke who calls for a second referendum to try and overturn a decision we were promised would be implemented. This tribal business makes me laugh. I wonder how many of the Labour supporters on here have voted for anyone else ? Most of my life I've voted Labour. Certainly up to the Tony Blair era, think I voted for Gordon Brown , but not sure on that one. Depends on the election, but it's only over the last ten years or so I've voted Tory, Liberal, UKIP, Brexit Party. I vote for who I think will get the country what I want, a decision made easier by the likes of Ed Miliband, Corbyn and now Starmer.

Where are the BBC headlines on Labour MP Barry Gardiner mixing with hundreds of people ? Should it not be the main news item for the next seven days ?

Rather ironic that when we could do with a strong centre party, the centre party blows itself up by calling to overturn the referendum it demanded in the first place, the Labour Party turns into the Communist Party, and the Tories have sidelined many of their best people because they won't implement what we voted for.
An odd one. Ed Milliband was very clear in the 2015 election he didn't back a referendum.

Barry Gardiner currently has no shadow cabinet job. Whatever he has done has clearly been criticised in the media, but he has no shadow cabinet role currently to resign from (unlike Rosie Duffield, who did resign). This has been explained to you.

I never promised you that the referendum result of 2016 would be Implemented. In fact, since Cameron alone made that promise I think most remainers have a very clear conscience on that one. Still waiting to hear how a second referendum, which both Johnson and Rees Mogg said should happen, would be the same as cancelling the referendum?

After all, if the people wanted it so badly they could vote for it again. If they didn't then the public had changed their mind and democracy prevails. What's wrong with that?

Rather ironic that when we could do with a strong centre party, the centre party blows itself up by calling to overturn the referendum it demanded in the first place, the Labour Party is in disarray and the Tories have been taken over by chancers and charlatans.
ftfy

That was an important motive, yes

It may take a few thousand off the register for a couple of years but when 18 they are registered as unemployed. Thus after two years it makes no difference to the overall number. Seems a poor policy and quite expensive. Can you think of another motive?

It may take a few thousand off the register for a couple of years but when 18 they are registered as unemployed. Thus after two years it makes no difference to the overall number. Seems a poor policy and quite expensive. Can you think of another motive?
Of course it makes a difference.

Youth unemployment is always an issue. You are permanently taking a chunk of that away. People were starting to talk about "NEETs" a lot. Biggest group of them are those fucked off with school at 16 and who don't even think about what next, or those involved in crime. Take them off the stats.

Of course it makes a difference.

Youth unemployment is always an issue. You are permanently taking a chunk of that away. People were starting to talk about "NEETs" a lot. Biggest group of them are those fucked off with school at 16 and who don't even think about what next, or those involved in crime. Take them off the stats.

The discussion to raise the leaving age was a labour concept in 2006. Alan Johnson argued it was important those leaving school needed to be prepared for modern employment. Never was employment figures mentioned. Employment figures havn’t been an issues for more than a decade. Students prepared for employment, have been, thus Cleggs implementation of these ideas. It makes little difference to the stats after 2018, two years after its introduction.

The discussion to raise the leaving age was a labour concept in 2006. Alan Johnson argued it was important those leaving school needed to be prepared for modern employment. Never was employment figures mentioned. Employment figures havn’t been an issues for more than a decade. Students prepared for employment, have been, thus Cleggs implementation of these ideas. It makes little difference to the stats after 2018, two years after its introduction.
Employment figures for young people have always been an issue.

Why are you surprised that Labour, the king's of massaging employment figures even in an economic boom, neglected to mention that being a motive? How do you think that would have gone down? "Oh, yeah, Joe public, we need to artificially deflate our NEET and youth unemployment figures so we are just going to make them stay on in school".

I will give the Labour government one thing; they did intend to follow such a move up with a raft of new diplomas and qualifications that, had they taken off, may have addressed the appalling gap between A levels and everything else on offer.

An odd one. Ed Milliband was very clear in the 2015 election he didn't back a referendum.

Barry Gardiner currently has no shadow cabinet job. Whatever he has done has clearly been criticised in the media, but he has no shadow cabinet role currently to resign from (unlike Rosie Duffield, who did resign). This has been explained to you.

I never promised you that the referendum result of 2016 would be Implemented. In fact, since Cameron alone made that promise I think most remainers have a very clear conscience on that one. Still waiting to hear how a second referendum, which both Johnson and Rees Mogg said should happen, would be the same as cancelling the referendum?

After all, if the people wanted it so badly they could vote for it again. If they didn't then the public had changed their mind and democracy prevails. What's wrong with that?

What is your point about Ed Milliband ? If you read what I put, I didn't vote for him, so that stacks up. Didn't vote for Milliband, Corbyn and certainly won't vote for Starmer either.

Barry Gardiner has no cabinet job, so yet again a Labour MP can do what he wants? Dominic Cummings isn't an MP, never mind a cabinet member, so I guess that answers why he didn't resign . According to you an MP has to be imprisoned to lose his main job. An adviser has only to make "a mistake " (copyright Lisa Nandy). Why hasn't Starmer kicked Kinnock, Gardiner, Duffield and Tahir Ali out the Labour party ?

Status
Not open for further replies.