Brexit - again. | Vital Football

Brexit - again.

Old Red Fart

Vital Champions League
Over here there's quite a bit of interest but not much in the way of detail. But now that 40 pages of "Great Repeal Bill" has gone in it seems that things will happen. For example I think I'm right in understanding that the UK is committed to the EU for quite a load of cash which will have to be paid regardless. Then there's the question of EU citizens resident in UK and vice versa. All sorts of questions on new trade negotiations and also whether it's possible to do all this within the 2 years. Got my doubts about this.

What if there's a change of mind during the 2 years, is this negotiable?

Many other questions and so far not too many answers.

Some of you fellows are pretty knowledgeable and I'm happy to learn. Straight from the horses mouth as it were.

Thanks in advance.

:14:

Definitely a bill to pay (things that we have already agreed to and promised funds).

Logically impossible that we will have a better trade deal than we already have for a host of reasons.

Trade may not even be negotiated before the split has been largely resolved.

Utterly impossible to do the separation within the time frame (which is substantially less than two interrupted years).

Threats to Gibraltar.

Potential break up of the UK.

Looming return of troubles in Northern Ireland.

Government machine utterly paralysed by a single issue.

No staff to negotiate with.

Austerity projecting further and further into the future.

Crisis of staff in the NHS and agriculture.

Brain drain from key sectors.

Banks and big businesses making plans to move out.

Bullshit drip feed of little bits of inward investment here and there to make the Kippers cheer.

Assylum seekers brutally beaten on the streets.

100,000 man march virtually unreported by the news.

Horribly divided society being forced to unite with no debate possible without being stored down by people who don't understand democracy.

Human beings that have contributed enormously to British society being disgustingly treated as bargaining chips.

All in all, it's going swimmingly so far. Thanks for asking. Xx

Well ITTO, that's sorted me out pretty quick with the basics, plenty of info there that I wasn't aware of and it does sound quite depressing.
The main thing that hits the headlines over here is the chance to improve Aussie trade agreements which is understandable from an Oz point of view. Not a word of sympathy to be seen but that's par for the course as the average pommie here thinks rightly or wrongly that he's better off in the new world.
It's obviously going to be ages before we see which way the cookie crumbles but being a devout optimist I think that eventually things will come good.

Enjoyed your comments, and the xx.

Old Red Fart - 2/4/2017 02:08

Enjoyed your comments, and the xx.

Hey, it was Saturday night. You wouldn't have got them on a Tuesday.

I'm sure we can buy more Australian wine and NZ lamb but it will never ever replace the inward and outward trade with our local friends. For a start, you don't have 500m affluent residents. Apparently, the Japanese are quite fond of our jams... so that's a start. [Seriously, promoting jam sales to Japan is government policy.]

And you will have noticed that you live a rather long way from home.

In short ORF it's not as depressing as itto makes it sound, and not as positive as I would spin it either. The truth will ultimately be somewhere in the middle of these divided opinions!

I do believe the time has come for some coalescing though, article 50 has now been invoked and getting the best deal is all that matters for everyone.

It is worth noting however that Theresa May tried to secure reciprocal agreements early on for EU nationals here and expats abroad, and the EU wouldn't entertain it. So despite the governments faults (I think there are many despite my political allegiances), they should get a pass on that one.

Top tories including the former leader and the defence secretary are literally taking about going to war with Spain.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/02/theresa-may-would-go-war-defend-sovereignty-gibraltar-says-michael/
#thanksbrexit

Your PM, Theresa May has appeared several times on TV here in Oz and she reminds me very much of Mrs Thatcher in her prime. Seems to have a very solid hard nosed approach although that manner doesn't sit well with everyone. Haven't seen enough of her to be able to make my mind up.
Think that position calls for a very flexible person and a load of diplomatic ability to go with it.

Had to smile at the reference of going to war with Spain over Gibraltar. Remember sailing past a couple of times years ago in a troop ship and thinking both times that it seemed like a touch from the past in the days of the old British Empire. Made me smile both times.

we're going to end up worse off with very little change other than no Euro elections and MEP's though a great deal of policies we have to adhere to will still come from Europe. We will sit on our island with baby boomers telling us how they won the second world war despite being born in the 1950's and 60's. Racists won't be happy as immigration will be largely unaffected other than skilled Europeans coming here to mend the stuff we've broken whether that is houses, infrastructure or our bodies. The wasters will still come here and do fook all just like the indigenous wasters who've not worked in 3 generations but are white British. Tories have proven they can't control the immigration they should be able to already and labour don't appear to want to control it even if they could.

It's probably not going to be a disaster but it's going to make things worse for a great many people.

Old Red Fart - 3/4/2017 01:10

Your PM, Theresa May has appeared several times on TV here in Oz and she reminds me very much of Mrs Thatcher in her prime. Seems to have a very solid hard nosed approach although that manner doesn't sit well with everyone. Haven't seen enough of her to be able to make my mind up.
Think that position calls for a very flexible person and a load of diplomatic ability to go with it.

Not a fan of Thatcher in any way shape or form but the only comparison between TM and Thatcher is that they are female leaders of the Tories and PM. TM is an idiot who has no courage of conviction (she supported remain for a start)

These are the sort of opinions I was hoping to get. I'd already made my mind up from previous posts that most of you had voted to remain in the EU, itto and Woanze obviously that way inclined and Skip perhaps a bit more middle of the road. I was never a fan of Thatcher from what little I heard, a bit too solid in her views and actions for me.
Although I would have voted to stay I still think that the old UK will prevail, perhaps not yet though. A lot of hard work ahead.

I'm a great fan of Chief Inspector George Gently and although it's set in Geordie land in the old days the spectre of pits closing and associated problems come through loud and clear. Can't see those days coming back.

Thanks for the opinions.

And itto, I know it's a long way from home but I'm sure you won't make the mistake of thinking that all is forgotten. Half my roots and memory banks are still over there! And still some friends (old fogies some of them) and rellies. Had some great times when I was younger.

I don't doubt your memory.
I meant that our exciting new global outlook for trade isn't quite so convenient, efficient, green, or cheap.

ORF, if you read any social media or other mainstream outlet you would think that nobody voted for Brexit. Or Donald Trump. Or the Conservative government.

And yet here we are. I'm yet to see much constructive analysis beyond defaming those who voted for any of the above, put simply we all seem to have lost the ability to disagree amicably.

I like Woanz point about TM...I thought she was a coward during the debate...silently waiting for others to destroy each other so she could pick up the pieces. On the other hand, you could argue she was a savvy operator!

Last night I watched a BBC program on TV about your immigration, Ross Kemp reporting, not the best bloke in the world but he did a pretty good job with this. Some of the points were.....
Illegals, seemed to be doing mainly labouring jobs on building sights and associated stuff, lots of cash pay and of course no tax paid. And plenty of cash going back to overseas families, so no big UK spend either.
Legal entries but short on education, seem to end up doing simple menial jobs that most born and bred in the UK won't touch.
Legal entries often with a good education and qualifications. Many citizens of the EU. No problems for them.

Then the program turned to the pockets of immigrants in cities like Bradford and Birmingham, seemed to be mainly in the North ( possibly like other problems) and this was where all of a sudden there didn't seem to be too many answers. It will take many generations in my opinion. As it will here too.

I love Australia and their stance on immigration nothing highlights the hypocrisy and idiocy of racists everywhere.

Woanz - 6/4/2017 09:44

I love Australia and their stance on immigration nothing highlights the hypocrisy and idiocy of racists everywhere.

Totally agree. And this is the view of most Australians. We have a weak Government which does not represent the view of most of the people. One day soon I believe that this will change. Although I don't pretend to know the complete answer.